Re: elderberry cane as flutes

  • Joe Biker
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 1, 2003
      --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, rstandinghorse
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "Don"
      <dogfox66@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > earch also for 'Anasazi' relative to elderberry end-blown
      flutes.

      > look up clint goss' web page. hes got some particulars there about
      > some anasazi flutes of elder that were found in a cave and dated
      > be like 1500 years old or something. hes got all the measurements
      > there too. id like to try making a coupld copies myself but we
      seem
      > to have plent of box elder bugs and no elder trees around here

      Hau Randall

      Ash shoots work well if you harvest em in tha spring and work it
      green. Tha Ole timers cut ash trees and left a stump grow to produce
      long straight pithy shoots fer arrows, pipe stems and tha like. As a
      kid we called it NDN arrow wood. Also used PawPaw fer flutes and
      whistles but would rather keep them and elderberry fer tha fruit
      these days Cl;-{P}
      BikerJoe
    • James R. Gilliland
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 1, 2003
        Elderberry Flutes, I have made quite a few out of elderberry and it
        works great. Most of the ones I make are high A and above. We have an
        abundance of Elderberry in the south. I usually gather mine in
        December along the river banks and let it dry for about 6 or seven
        months. I heat treat mind just like river cane,it makes the wood much
        harder. The center is easy to remove with a drill bit or hot rod. The
        center is very soft and easy to remove. Just decide where the plug
        should be and remove center material to that point. Just work it
        like cane or any other wood. Sumach is another wood that works the
        same. Elderberry plants along the river banks seems to grow much
        larger in diameter.

        Jim Gilliland

        --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Biker"

      • BoBbLeS7749@aol.com
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 1, 2003
          Hi All my dad makes elderberry wine is that the elder that you mean? it doesn't get very big maybe 20 feet high is that the one? that stuff is nasty tasting and turns your stool black, yulk but it makes good flutes? i would like too see that old flute God cant wate
        • James R. Gilliland
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 1, 2003
            Yes, we are talking about the same plant.

            Jim G.

            --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, BoBbLeS7749@a... wrote:
            > Hi All my dad makes elderberry wine is that the elder that you
            mean? it
            > doesn't get very big maybe 20 feet high is that the one? that stuff
            is nasty
            > tasting and turns your stool black, yulk but it makes good flutes?
            i would like too
            > see that old flute God cant wate
          • rstandinghorse
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 1, 2003
              --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "James R. Gilliland"
              <jgflutes@y...> wrote:
              Elderberry plants along the river banks seems to grow much
              > larger in diameter.
              >
              > Jim Gilliland

              probably because of the abundant water, like the cypress in the swamps
            • James R. Gilliland
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 1, 2003
                Here is more info on making flutes from elderberry stock.

                Elderberry Flutes

                Collect the elderberry stalk from a live plant in the winter, after
                the sap has gone back to the roots. Cut your green stalk several
                inches longer than the flute you want to make. The flute stock will
                need to be about 15 to 20 % larger in diameter that what you expect
                the final bore to be due to shrinkage of the wood during drying. Do
                not remove the pith from the center of the stock at this time. Place
                the stock in a dry shaded place out of the weather and let it dry for
                about 6 months. A workshop or garage is the ideal place to dry your
                flute stock.

                After the material has dried you can flame harden the stock with a
                propane torch as you would river cane. Be sure to wrap the material
                after flame hardening, in an old towel or Tee shirt, so it can cool
                slowly. This removes the stress in the material and makes it harder
                for a better tone. You can now remove the pith in the center of the
                flute blank with a drill bit or a hot metal rod. You can leave a ¾
                inch section of the pith where the plug is to be located. You can
                also clean the entire pith out of the plant and use a cork to form
                the plug. Inserting a cork that is ¾ inch long and slightly larger in
                diameter than the bore of the flute can do this. You can compress
                cork will as you insert it into the flute. The cork will swell back
                up and compress against the sides to form a good seal.

                Another method is to take a cork or rubber plug and drill a small
                hole down the center. Take two metal washers that are smaller than
                the flute bore, on one of them, epoxy or solder with lead free solder
                a #8x32 nut. Insert a #8x32 screw down the center of the hole you
                drilled in the plug. Tighten the screw slightly but not enough to
                compress the plug, into the nut on the other washer. Insert into
                flute bore, to the position you have chosen for the plug location,
                tighten the screw and this will make the plug expand and hold in
                place. This method will allow you to shift the plug position and fine-
                tune the flute. Now you can complete the flute the same as any other
                flute.

                I will try to post this under files.

                Hope this will be of some help

                Jim Gilliland http://indiancountry.com/?1069269607

                http://www.sonjarainbowwoman.org
                http://hometown.aol.com/jgflutes/myhomepage/profile.html

                <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "James R. Gilliland"
                > <jgflutes@y...> wrote:
                > Elderberry plants along the river banks seems to grow much
                > > larger in diameter.
                > >
                > > Jim Gilliland
                >

                > probably because of the abundant water, like the cypress in the
                swamps
              • drgoodharp
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 1, 2003
                  Hi:

                  I use Elder to make NA flutes, side-blown flutes, penny whistles,
                  game calls, blow pipes, maple sap stiles and a variety of specialized
                  things. I was taught to make flutes by my Grandfather who learned
                  while living on the Reservation in Cherokee, N.C.

                  First, the Elder, or elderberry plant is a small tree with a
                  soft, pithy core. The Latin genus name is Sambucus. Elder is
                  fine grained white wood that takes well to cutting, carving,
                  decorative burning, staining, and finishing. This plant is not
                  related to the Box Elder (genus Acer), which is actually a
                  very large tree that is a type of maple (the ash leaf maple).
                  Also, the Box Elder does not have a pithy core. Flutes made from
                  Box Elder must be bored or split and gouged.

                  HARVESTING

                  I cut Elder along the Licking River in Northern Kentucky (we are
                  about 30 miles south of Cincinnati, Ohio). I cut Elder in the winter
                  after the leaves have fallen and there has been several frosts.
                  That is when the sap is down and the cut wood is less likely
                  to split upon drying. Usually the months of December and January
                  are best for cutting. I collect while I'm I'm out hunting.

                  AGING

                  I age the cut Elder for about a year, leaving the bark and pith
                  in place for at least the first three months. I usually lay the cut
                  elder horizontally and clamp it between heavy boards that have been
                  grooved so that it dries as straight as possible. I have a drying
                  room in my basement where I run a dehumidifier to keep the air dry.
                  I have had some success with steam bending elder, but I try to
                  avoid that technique.

                  Note: I also make rustic furniture from twigs, so the drying room
                  gets a lot of use.

                  PROCESSING

                  When the wood is dry, I strip off the bark with a knife then use
                  a cabinet scrapper to clean the surface. I remove the pith with
                  a small brass rod or a piece of straightened coat hanger wire.
                  Then I polish the bore with a brass shotgun cleaning brush.

                  The pith is corky and white, looks like styrofoam.

                  BORE

                  I adjust the bore by using hand scrappers and reamers. I make my
                  own from pieces of saw blades that are riveted to metal rods.
                  Reamers on long shafts inserted in to a hand-held electric drill
                  will also work if you are careful. I do the final polishing of
                  the bore with strips of fine sandpaper inserted into shotgun
                  cleaning patch holders.

                  It's hard to find Elder that has a bore of greater than 5/8",
                  so these flutes tend to be higher pitched than most NA flutes.

                  I tune the flutes to either a NA pentatonic scale or some times
                  I'll use a diatonic scale, like an Irish Whistle.

                  CHAMBERS

                  I make two chambers by cutting the elder in to two tubes at about
                  four inches from the mouth end. I use a fine toothed Japanese
                  dozuki saw for this operation. I use a one inch piece of dowel
                  (poplar works well) that is hand sanded, to rejoin the short and
                  long pieces and to form the septum between the chambers. After
                  careful fitting, the dowel is glued in to place. If necessary,
                  I'll drill two small holes and insert pins. I usually use honey
                  locust thorns for pins.

                  Sometimes I'll make a decorative spacer, like a washer, to go
                  between the two rejoined tubes. I've made these from pieces of
                  black bison horn that has been steamed and flattened. It gives
                  a nice contrast.

                  The rest is standard NA flute making procedures.

                  Lastly, my wife makes a great jelly from elder berries. We collect
                  these in late August or earlt September,

                  --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, mick snyder
                  <scrabcat@y...> wrote:
                  > does anyone have any input on using an elderberry cane as a flute
                  body. how do you separate the 2 chanmbers? enlarging the bore without
                  splitting the body? etc.
                  > thanks and also thanks to whoever
                  recommended Russ Wolf's book to me . it is terrific resource.
                  > mick S.
                • Don
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 1, 2003
                    Jim, You didn't mention stripping bark, but maybe this is necessary
                    when heat treatment is anticipated [?].

                    I've found it easiest to strip bark while wet and green, immediately
                    after cutting. Gently scrape away any cambium membrane that
                    remains. If this is done carefully, the exterior can be left with
                    an organic appearance requiring only sealing after it's cured.

                    I have stock I didn't strip right away and now will have to soak it
                    to do a decent job removing bark and membrane without scarring the
                    wood.

                    D.

                    <jgflutes@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                    fine-
                    > tune the flute. Now you can complete the flute the same as any
                    other
                    > flute.
                    >
                    > I will try to post this under files.
                    >
                    > Hope this will be of some help
                    >
                    > Jim Gilliland http://indiancountry.com/?1069269607
                    >
                    > http://www.sonjarainbowwoman.org
                    > http://hometown.aol.com/jgflutes/myhomepage/profile.html
                    >

                    > --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, rstandinghorse
                    > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > > --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "James R.
                    Gilliland"
                    > > <jgflutes@y...> wrote:
                    > > Elderberry plants along the river banks seems to grow much
                    > > > larger in diameter.
                    > > >
                    > > > Jim Gilliland
                    > >

                    > > probably because of the abundant water, like the cypress in the
                  • James R. Gilliland
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 1, 2003
                      Sorry folks, I failed to mention removing the bark. I leave the bark
                      on until after I have heat treated the stock. This protects the wood
                      while heat treating with a flame. I have a scraper I made from an old
                      jointer blade and it removes the bark easily. If you are going to
                      heat treat you should leave the bark on. If you are not going to heat
                      treat you can strip the bark while it is green. I tie my stock up in
                      tight bundles so I don't have problems with it being crooked. You can
                      also hang them up with a weight tied to the bottom. If you are not
                      going to heat treat you may have to add two or three months to drying
                      time. I only heat treat with a very hot flame, this actually
                      crystallizes the sugars in the wood. Heat treating in an oven will
                      not remove the stress in the material like flame hardening. I
                      sometimes flame harden while green and after drying the same as my
                      river cane. This will reduce the drying time by several months.

                      Jim Gilliland

                      wrote:
> [...]
                      > > tighten the screw and this will make the plug expand and hold in
                      > > place. This method will allow you to shift the plug position and
                      > fine-
                      > > tune the flute. Now you can complete the flute the same as any
                      > other
                      > > flute.
                      > >
                      > > I will try to post this under files.
                      > >
                      > > Hope this will be of some help
                      > >
                      > > Jim Gilliland http://indiancountry.com/?1069269607
                      > >
                      > > http://www.sonjarainbowwoman.org
                      > > http://hometown.aol.com/jgflutes/myhomepage/profile.html
                      > >

                      > > --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, rstandinghorse
                      > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                      > > > --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, "James R.
                      > Gilliland"
                      > > > <jgflutes@y...> wrote:
                      > > > Elderberry plants along the river banks seems to grow much

                      > > > probably because of the abundant water, like the cypress in the
                    • Freida Wolden
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 7, 2003
                        Does anyone know of a local flute instructor in Orange County CA? Or a
                        group I could join. Sure be nice to hear and exchange ideas like some
                        of you are doing back east. Music is universal and I'd love to join a
                        group that thinks about the beauty of music and the emotions it evokes
                        in some people. I find it very interesting how the sound of a flute can
                        echo! I'm always looking for echo'ee places to play. The best was up at
                        Lake Tahoe on a trip I took years ago. I was at Lilly Lake and hid
                        between the trees and played. I was shy then! Beautiful echo's!

                        Anyway, I'd like to learn to play better!

                        Love,
                        Freida

                        Adventure with Me! Visit my IBLOG Web Pages Often!

                        Freida's Adventures IBLOG Page:
                        http://homepage.mac.com/freidaw/iblog/B419537647/index.html

                        Gene's Web Site:
                        http://homepage.mac.com/freidaw/Personal8.html
                      • Mike Davis
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 8, 2003
                          Try here and see if there's a flute circle in the area. From there,
                          you should be able to network.

                          http://www.worldflutes.org/flutecircles.html

                          --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, Freida Wolden
                          <freidaw@m...> wrote:
                          > Does anyone know of a local flute instructor in Orange County CA? Or a
                          > group I could join. Sure be nice to hear and exchange ideas like some
                          > of you are doing back east. Music is universal and I'd love to join a
                          > group that thinks about the beauty of music and the emotions it evokes
                          > in some people. I find it very interesting how the sound of a flute can
                          > echo! I'm always looking for echo'ee places to play. The best was up at
                          > Lake Tahoe on a trip I took years ago. I was at Lilly Lake and hid
                          > between the trees and played. I was shy then! Beautiful echo's!
                          >
                          > Anyway, I'd like to learn to play better!
                          >

                          > Love,
                          > Freida
                          >
                          > Adventure with Me! Visit my IBLOG Web Pages Often!
                          >
                          > Freida's Adventures IBLOG Page:
                          > http://homepage.mac.com/freidaw/iblog/B419537647/index.html
                          >
                          > Gene's Web Site:
                          > http://homepage.mac.com/freidaw/Personal8.html
                        • Ron Eakins
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 8, 2003
                            Freida,
                            Guillermo Martinez <quetflutes@...> is the lead person of the So. Cal
                            Flute circle. They meet at his home in Modjeska Canyon, Orange County

                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 8, 2003
                              Thanks so much Mike! I just wrote to, a very close to me, flute circle
                              an email. I hope I can go to the next meeting. I'm excited to meeting
                              others who play.

                              Freida

                              On Monday, December 8, 2003, at 07:12 AM, Mike Davis wrote:

                              > Try here and see if there's a flute circle in the area.  From there,
                              > you should be able to network.
                              >
                              > http://www.worldflutes.org/flutecircles.html
                              >

                              > --- In nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com, Freida Wolden
                              > <freidaw@m...> wrote:
                              > > Does anyone know of a local flute instructor in Orange County CA?
                              > Or  a
                              > > group I could join. Sure be nice to hear and exchange ideas like some
                              > > of you are doing back east. Music is universal and I'd love to join a
                              > > group that thinks about the beauty of music and the emotions it
                              > evokes
                              > > in some people. I find it very interesting how the sound of a flute
                              > can
                              > > echo! I'm always looking for echo'ee places to play. The best was up
                              > at
                              > > Lake Tahoe on a trip I took years ago. I was at Lilly Lake and hid
                              > > between the trees and played. I was shy then! Beautiful echo's!
                              > >
                              > > Anyway, I'd like to learn to play better!
                              > >

                              > > Love,
                              > > Freida
                              > >
                              > > Adventure with Me! Visit my IBLOG Web Pages Often!
                              > >
                              > > Freida's Adventures IBLOG Page:
                              > > http://homepage.mac.com/freidaw/iblog/B419537647/index.html
                              > >
                              > > Gene's Web Site:
                              > > http://homepage.mac.com/freidaw/Personal8.html

                              <image.tiff>

                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 8, 2003
                                Thanks Ron,

                                Hey, I live close to Mojeska Canyon. I'm waiting for a call or email
                                from him. I have never played in front of anyone. Geez now I think I'm
                                getting nervous! hehe What fun!! I can hardly wait!

                                Just thought I'd elaborate a little more on that story I wrote about my
                                adventure to Lake Lilly by Lake Tahoe.

                                The sun was starting to go down behind the mountains surrounding this
                                little lake.
                                I waited all day till everybody had left the lake area except for two
                                men in a little rowboat way over there on the other side.

                                Finally, I looked around and came down to the waters edge and sat on a
                                big rock between the hills. I took a quick look around and saw no cars
                                in the little parking lot behind me and no people, so I began to play
                                my flute. Oh my god! It was so beautiful. The echos were so perfect! I
                                played for a good 10- 15 minutes without stopping.

                                Then, I quietly put my flute down. All of a sudden I heard clapping,
                                loud echo-ee clapping. I turned around and there was a group of
                                Japanese tourists clapping at me and smiling! It took my breath away,
                                they were smiling and very happy and I know they loved the music but I
                                couldn't handle it. I smiled, started to shake and practically ran to
                                my car got it, wave them them (they were still clapping) and drove away
                                fast!

                                That's my flute story. Someday I want to go back and play there again
                                and be braver!

                                On Monday, December 8, 2003, at 03:40 PM, Ron Eakins wrote:

                                > Freida,
                                > Guillermo Martinez <quetflutes@...> is the lead person of
                                > the So. Cal
                                > Flute circle. They meet at his home in Modjeska Canyon, Orange County
                                >
                                > Freida Wolden wrote:
                                >
                                > > Does anyone know of a local flute instructor in Orange County CA? Or
                                > > group I could join. Sure be nice to hear and exchange ideas like
                                > some of
                                > > you are doing back east. Music is universal and I'd love to join a
                                > group
                                > > that thinks about the beauty of music and the emotions it evokes in
                                > some
                                > > people. I find it very interesting how the sound of a flute can echo!
                                > > I'm always looking for echo'ee places to play. The best was up at
                                > Lake
                                > > Tahoe on a trip I took years ago. I was at Lilly Lake and hid between
                                > > the trees and played. I was shy then! Beautiful echo's!
                                > >
                                > > Anyway, I'd like to learn to play better!
                              • Rick McDaniel
                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 9, 2003
                                  Hi Freida,

                                  The flute has long been an instrument of beauty in most of Asia. I
                                  have Korean friends who think I'm playing Korean music! The Shakuhachi
                                  is revered in Japan, with one of the great masters of that instrument
                                  having been declared "a national treasure", by the President of Japan.

                                  You probably just made them feel "at home", for which they were most
                                  appreciative.

                                  Peace,
                                  Rick McDaniel

                                  > played for a good 10- 15 minutes without stopping.
                                  >
                                  > Then, I quietly put my flute down. All of a sudden I heard
                                  clapping,
                                  > loud echo-ee clapping. I turned around and there was a group of
                                  > Japanese tourists clapping at me and smiling! It took my breath
                                  away,
                                  > they were smiling and very happy and I know they loved the music
                                  but I
                                  > couldn't handle it. I smiled, started to shake and practically ran
                                  > my car got it, wave them them (they were still clapping) and drove
                                  away
                                  > fast!
                                  >
                                  > That's my flute story. Someday I want to go back and play there
                                  again
                                  > and be braver!
                                  >
                                  > Love,
                                  > Freida
                                • Scott DiIorio
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 13, 2003
                                    If you are an INAFA member look in the latest voices of the winds or
                                    on the www.worldflutes.org site.

                                    California:
                                    Mike Oitzman
                                    Mountain View, CA
                                    Phone: 650-967-2607
                                    E-mail: oitz@...

                                    Guillermo Martinez
                                    Modjeska, CA
                                    Phone: 714-649-3244

                                    Bill "Elk Whistle" Neal
                                    Upland, CA
                                    Phone: 909-949-9792
                                    E-mail: elkwhistle@...
                                  • Scott DiIorio
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 14, 2003
                                      Please don't be nervous. Instructors don't teach the flute like a
                                      piano. The instructors I listed are INAFA instructors and generally
                                      teach the history, scales, how to read the tablec.. music, breath
                                      techniques, and flute care and maitenence.

                                      I instruct in New Jersey. No student should be nervous with me,
                                      since it is about playing from the heart. I start with the basics and
                                      go over more proper breath control and all of the aboce. As a student
                                      progresses, I create basic drum tracks and chords they learn to play
                                      with. I have the students feel the mood and learn the isntantly shift
                                      to hte music so a song is created instantly. I can also o this over
                                      the internet bia MSN Voice or a private voice chat. At that point I
                                      dislay small iamges on the white board havig to do with lessons.

                                      Don't be nervous. instructors lvoe new students since they offer
                                      their unique style and heart felt abilities. It helps as as much as
                                      it helps you.
                                    • Scott DiIorio
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Dec 14, 2003
                                        Oh forgot to mention. The spirit of the flute and it's voice is
                                        powerfull. No matter how much you try to lay in secret at a lake,
                                        peopel will hear it and want to hear it closer. This happens to me
                                        all the time ( and many others). Don't be shy, peopel love it and it
                                        often relaxes them and brings them joy, so play on and let it touch
                                        others hearts.
                                      • Freida Wolden
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Dec 14, 2003
                                          Thanks for the info. I am trying but have no response yet! Mountain
                                          View's too far North but Norco and Mojeska is close.

                                          Even a flute semi circle would be nice! Think I'll just gets some books
                                          I see posted here for now till someone calls or emails me.

                                          I just bought a Violin and making some Ocarina's, so I have plenty of
                                          musical instruments to entertain myself with
                                          for now.