Re: Tuning A Double Flute? 5 hole ?

  • Prescott
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
      Thanx Don, Drone give better search results. Search feature is kinda
      primitive tho!

      Way back in msg 86, Dusty you said: "There aren't any mistakes, just
      learning experiences". I think I'm sufferin from reading
      experiences. Everything I know about drones/doubles came from this
      site and somehow I remember reading that when the two tubes were in
      tune it sounded like a bee hive. I've read all posts on drones and
      realize they should sound like one voice. I figured it was becuz I
      had one mouth hole that the current flute had one voice. The last
      drone I did I purposely tuned both the fundemental and the 5th to get
      a fast beat and was a bit puzzled as to why I had to tune one side
      about 50-60 cents out to get this sound. It that the famous wah wah
      sound? 'tis funny if it is ;) Live and Learn!

      For now let me forget about 6 holes, 8 hole or any other variation. I
      want to make 3 holes one side and 2 holes other side per msg 343. I
      can tune the lower holes, just not sure about the upper ones. Do I
      move the holes south a little to tune them? Do I cut that side down
      or put in a tuning hole and tune it the same as bottom 3 open? The
      drone post seem to suggest this is the only way to tune upper 2 holes.

      Dusty I wouldn't know what to do with a piano. If it doesn't have
      notes on key I wouldn't know one key from another.

      It took me weeks to get thru 5000 posts 2 yrs ago and I know I didn't
      cut and paste everything from them. I will try and do so this time
      and go further.
    • Dusty
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
        3 holes on one side is no sweat. The other side with just two upper
        holes will work if you make a large (3rd) hole on the underside of
        the drone. Or you make make a decorative "tuning slot" on the side or
        the front. This can be tuned to any of the bottom three notes on the
        right side. Even then, this configuration will not give you the
        ability to play all of the cross fingered notes of a standard NA
        flute. If will play most Native music well but with some limitations.
        On the other hand you will get some different variations in the
        available harmonics of the holes from a standard drone.

        I've also made them with shorter pipes on the drone side.

        As for the phasing you hear when you are 50 cents off the mark, well
        that sound should happen even when you are just a few cents, 1 or 2,
        off of the mark. After that you will get various degrees of phasing
        (wah, wah) as you hit chords of harmonics. There are many. Depends on
        your ear. Some sound good, others great, some just plain awful. Like
        bagpipes, unless you LIKE bagpipes.