    Apr 25 6:32 AM
      I have found that really old growth Spruce/Fir that has tightly banded annular rings often makes terrific tone-woods for instruments.  I made a C4 from a ca. 1850 wooden gate top that looked to be very old growth Atlantic White Cedar that was impressive.

      bob
      On Friday, April 25, 2014 9:27 AM, Michael Jones <jonesmr@...> wrote:

      If it actually is spruce, it is one of the strongest woods per unit weight. It is also pretty soft. The wood is really light colored and will be high contrast with pyrography (wood burned designs).Enjoy.

      Mike Jones
      From: "fishpathodoc@..." <fishpathodoc@...>
      To: nativeflutewoodworking@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2014 6:12 PM
      Subject: [Native Flute Woodworking] Wood - Spruce?

      Hi, while my wife was at a meeting in Kalamazoo today and our other car was in the garage (for a leak they never found the cause of) I had some time in town so I perused the thrift shops including the Habitat For Humanity store where I found a beautiful well aged (possibly antique) 2" x 6" x 4 ft board of spruce (I think). When I lifted it a few inches from the concrete floor and dropped it on end it had a beautiful ringing tone. I am anxious as can be to make a flute from it as I can hardly imagine what wonderful tones this wood will produce in a flute.

      Has anyone made flutes from well aged spruce, and if so, how did they sound?

      Peace, FishDoc

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic