Fw: forward this one FAR AND WIDE!!!

  • Sal Camarillo
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2011

      --- On Tue, 2/1/11, Marcie <catehokte1@...> wrote:

      From: Marcie <catehokte1@...>
      Subject: Fw: forward this one FAR AND WIDE!!!
      To: "barbara alderman" <barbaraa@...>
      Date: Tuesday, February 1, 2011, 3:42 PM

      Click Me!

      Please folks take action on this issue, our lives and health depend on it.

      Date: 2/1/11 1:53:53 PM
      From: "Environmental Defense Action Fund"
      To:bluejay@...

      Having trouble using links or viewing images? View the web version.
      Dear Shelley Bluejay ,
      Senator John Barrasso (R-WY) is having an Al Pacino "I'd take a flamethrower to your environmental standards" moment.
      He has introduced a bill that would permanently block the EPA AND every other federal agency from using the Clean Air Act AND any other environmental law to do anything about reducing America's climate pollution.
      Oh, and just for good measure, it would also preempt state climate actions .
      This is part of a broad, coordinated pro-polluter legislative assault to weaken America's clean air standards and block climate action. In fact, Senator Jay Rockefeller (D-WV) has also introduced a separate clean air attack that would halt critical EPA actions on carbon pollution for at least two years.
      More Information
      It is bad enough Congress failed to pass a strong climate and energy bill last year when it had the chance. Now, instead of working to unleash our clean energy future, polluter allies in Congress are more interested in unleashing our 19th century pro-polluter past.
      Their strategy is clear &ndash; flood the zone with pro-polluter bills, try to wear us down, and hope something sticks.
      And the planet is getting caught in the crossfire .
      The two government agencies responsible for monitoring global temperature trends, NOAA and NASA, have both reported that 2010 officially tied 2005 as the warmest year on record .
      2010 was also, according to NOAA, the wettest year on record. Climate models predict that warmer global temperatures will increase precipitation as warmer air produces more atmospheric moisture.
      Sure enough, last month the east coast of Australia experienced what's been called "Biblical" flooding &ndash; an area the size of Germany and France combined was ravaged by rising flood waters following torrential rains. Record flooding in Brazil last month took the lives of at least 665 people. And in Sri Lanka, the worst flooding there in years left up to 400,000 children without enough food.
      And yet, at a time when our global competitors are playing to win in the race for our clean energy future and when we should be working together to unleash the 21st century technologies that will grow our economy, solve the climate crisis, and end our addiction to oil and other fossil fuels, polluter allies in Congress are scrambling to outdo each other with efforts to shut down climate action and weaken our clean air standards.
      If we are to protect the hard-won progress we have made in the fight against global warming, we need your help right now to oppose the Barrasso "Do ABSOLUTELY Nothing on Climate" bill, the Rockefeller "Do Nothing for Two Years" bill, and all other similar assaults.
      Thanks for your action and support,
      Environmental Defense Action Fund
      P.S. There are many new and swing members of Congress on this issue. We need to make sure they know they can't side with polluters without paying a political price. So, please make sure to take action today.
      Bookmark and ShareEnvironmental Defense Action Fund
      1875 Connecticut Ave. NW, Suite 600
      Washington, DC 20009
      1-800-591-1919