Native American Television Show!

  • Thomas Atkins
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2004
      Hello,
      As you already know, the American Indian family, humor, love or way of life has never been a television show. Although many have not lasted long, just about every other nationality has been represented in a sitcom or drama series. We are not truthfully represented anywhere in mainstream television. With exception to the occasional cameo or ridiculous westerns.
      So What Is It I Need Your Help With, You Ask?
      If you can take just 5 minutes out of your busy day we can accomplish something good together.
      It is my belief that one of the reasons that so many Americans could care less about the plite of Natives in this country. Is because they don't "know any". The only American Indians they see are those depicted as "savages" or drunken fools on television and in movies. I have even had people ask me if I wear the red dot between my eyes. Uh Duh, wrong Indian.
      Lets change that. Lets put an American Indian in their living room every week. What's been done over the years to change attitudes towards the American Indian hasn't worked to well to get other Americans on our side. Maybe television would be a good start at humanizing the Native American in the eyes of the Majority. It's been done with other ethnic shows like The Hugley's, The Parkers & George Lopez.
      If we can make them laugh or think of us as their fellow Americans instead of feeling guilty, who knows what can happen.
      This is not an attempt to find someone to make a script or produce a movie. I'm sure that the networks have plenty of dignified scripts collecting dust in a closet somewhere that have a Native theme. However, the network executives are not even going to consider the possibility of a Native show without some sort of public want. That is why we only want an e-mail campaign for now. If we flood all of the networks with emails provided in the links below, one of them is bound to listen.
      After you ckick on each of the links & send your requests for a Native sitcom or drama. I would like for you to forward or pass this message onto every Native yahoo & msn group you can think of and every Native website you belong to. This is an e-mail campaign in an effort to get any American Indians on a network television show.
      PLEASE HELP US GET REPRESENTED!
      The following links are the places you want to send your e-mails and fill out feedback comment forms. Personally I am doing it twice a week to try and get their attention. I just need your help in doing so.

      ABC- netaudr@...

      NBC- nbcshows@...

      CBS- http://www.cbs.com/#
      Click on the Feedback line at the bottom of the page.

      TheWB- faces@...

      FOX- askfox@...

      PBS- http://www.pbs.org/aboutsite/aboutsite_emailform.html
      When addressing PBS please thank them for their airing
      of Native Dramas & Documentaries.
      Thank You and Let's MAKE THEM HEAR US!
      Aho,
      Thomas Greywolf
      Chickahominy & Mattaponi
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheBigLie_2

    • Thomas Atkins
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 15, 2004
        Please pass this to your other Yahoo, MSN & AOL groups, as well as to powwows.com & gatheringofnations.com.
        I just want to say THANK YOU to everyone who has been helping with this endeavor. Your positive feedback and e-mails are very appreciated.
        I think we may make a difference if we keep it up, I know I am.
        Thank You All,
        Thomas Greywolf

[...]
        Lets change that. Lets put an American Indian in their living room every week. What's been done over the years to change attitudes towards the American Indian hasn't worked to well to get other Americans on our side. Maybe television would be a good start at humanizing the Native American in the eyes of the Majority. It's been done with other ethnic shows like The Hugley's, The Parkers & George Lopez or Cosby.
[...]

        Weli Kishku,
        (it's a good day)
        Thomas Greywolf
        Chickahominy & Mattaponi