368A.I.I. UPDATE - Another Way You Can Help In Indian Country!

  • Thomas Greywolf
    Jun 25, 2007
      THANK YOU TO OUR SISTERS Tamra from www.NDNnews.com and
      Robin from First Peoples Radio for Informing Us All about the available trailers.
      With out their knowledge we could never have lent a hand in this problem.

      TO ALL OF YOU WHO HELPED! YOU WERE INSTRUMENTAL IN THIS EFFORT!

      ALL OF YOUR LETTERS, PHONE CALLS & EMAILS HAVE PAID OFF!

      AS OF THE 22nd OF JUNE, 2007 THE PROCESS IS BEGINNING FOR THE TRAILERS TO BE SHIPPED TO INDIAN RESERVATIONS!

      We know how slow the government is, so it will take awhile. But at least now the ball
      is rolling.

      THANK YOU ALL FOR SPREADING THE WORD ABOUT THIS PROBLEM AND YOUR UNWAVERING HARD WORK!

      JOB WELL DONE!

      Thomas Greywolf
      Founder - American Indian Injustice Group
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/American_Indian_Injustice

      After Hurricane Katrina, FEMA spent millions of dollars purchasing mobile homes and trailers to house displaced people. Thousands of trailers were never used and are just sitting in a "giant parking lot" somewhere in this country.
      A few months ago, it looked like FEMA would send those trailers to Indian country to help provide Native People adequate housing. Later, for whatever reason, they changed their minds. Now those trailers are sitting, empty and unused.
      For those who aren't aware, MANY of South Dakota's Indian populations, including children, are living in distressing,third world conditions. This is not an exaggeration. Some live in run down shacks; many lack indoor plumbing, electricity, and other necessities we accept as a basic right of the modern world.
      As for Indian Country schools, building inspectors have labeled hundreds of school facilities as hazardous and unsafe for use. Some buildings have even been condemned for years. Yet students keep attending these schools because there's no where else to go. The U.S. government, who is responsible through treaties to educate and provide educational facilities for Indian youth, knows this -- the inspectors are their own. Yet they continually cut funding and ignore the fact that our youth are in danger simply because they want an education.
      Read more: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13302722/
      The Native Village website, http://www.nativevillage.org , has several news articles in our archives which provide more information, if you wish to search.

      Info for Letters regarding FEMA TRAILERS

      Hello everyone,

      I have some info for you about the article I sent out yesterday regarding FEMA & the trailers.

      I have spoken with Senator Tim Johnson's office (SD) about what we can do in Indian Country, to help encourage FEMA to change their decision about donating excess trailers to the South Dakota Reservations for housing and schooling.

      What they have requested from us is this:

      They would like all of your letters to be mailed directly to Senator Johnson, he will then forward them to the appropriate contact at FEMA. The address is listed below. You may also email Senator Johnson your letters, please go to the link listed below and email direct from their website.

      To email Senator Tim Johnson
      http://johnson.senate.gov/offices.html

      To mail or fax Senator Tim Johnson
      Washington Office:
      136 Hart Senate Office Building
      Washington, DC 20510
      Phone (202) 224-5842
      TDD (202) 224-8279
      Fax (202) 228-5765
      *Toll Free from anywhere in South Dakota*:
      1-800-537-0025

      Please include in ALL letters & emails your Name and mailing address. This is required info, without it, your letter will not be considered valid.

      Some suggested issues for the focus of your letters:
      The urgent need in Indian Country for housing and additional school classrooms
      The lack of available housing in Indian Country
      The substandard living conditions in the existing homes in Indian Country
      The South Dakota Reservations have the highest poverty rate in the country.

      In your letters, PLEASE BE RESECTFUL! Do not send hateful or bashing letters, it will only hurt our plea. Be respectful, use a intelligent basis on why they should help the people of Indian Country, state the urgency for housing and school houses in South Dakota.

      I have included some statistics and facts that I have. You may use the info provided to add to your letters. Change the wording if you wish, but keep the general basis the same.

      The Indian Housing Authority reports that it is not uncommon for 20 or more residents to live in a three-bedroom, one bath home with three or four generations under one roof. People regularly double up with family members and friends, waiting years until a home or apartment becomes available. The waiting list usually will include over 400 families waiting for rental and homeownership units (2003:342).

      The rate of homeownership on South Dakota reservations laggs substaintly behind the state of South Dakota's rate of 68.2 percent of the occupied housing units in the state. Beyond unemployment and underemployment, factors influencing this include the lack of willing lenders in the area and a lack of available housing. Conventional lenders will not loan money to build homes on trust land. Since nearly all federally recognized reservations' lands fall into this category, the majority of Native Americans are not able to secure these loans. Few people have the knowledge of how to overcome these barriers to develop housing on their own.

      In addition to overcrowding, many of the units available are in substandard condition. Some reservations have estimated that 24 percent of the Indian population resides in substandard housing" (SDHDA 2003:341). It is not uncommon for mobile home dealers to sell trailers on the reservation that would not be in acceptable condition to sell elsewhere in the state. Houses often lack working plumbing and functioning heaters. Some homes still use wood burning stoves to keep warm. Many of the homes have holes in the roof or floor. Often, families live in households that should have been condemned long ago, simply because there is no other place for them to go.

      For those of you that may be receiving this email and have not read the above mentioned article, please visit

      FEMA: Trailers not for Indian housing shortage
      MSNBC - Jun 13, 2006
      ... not help Indian country relieve a housing or schoolroom shortage with the trailers not used after Hurricane Katrina. Sen. Tim Johnson, DS.D., suggested to FEMA ...

      I will also be generating a online petition addressed to FEMA, will forward that out later this evening.

      PLEASE CROSS POST & FORWARD!!!! LET'S FLOOD THEM WITH LETTERS!
      I already warned Senator Johnson's office that they will be flooded, they said GREAT, WE LOVE IT!

      If you have any questions, please email me direct at
      Tamra@...

      Thank you for your help!

      Tamra
      www.NDNnews.com
      "Providing news and information about Native American Issues & Causes"
      "Helping to make a difference for our people in Indian Country, one day at a time. What will you do today to help make a difference?"

      "Seek the creator in all the things you do. Cherish your time with one
      another. Develop your personal self discipline, which is the key to all
      success. Develop a sense of happiness within you that none can take away.
      Develop who you are and remain true to your higher self and your integrity
      will be an inspiration to others. Show your strengths when necessary, even
      if it is in being gentle or humble." Leonard Peltier, March 6, 2006

      --
      PLEASE cc me at: tetawin38@...
      During the week....can't get gmail at work!!!