Re: [NN] Vitamin D from Wool Garments?

  • Garth & Kim Travis
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 26, 2012
      Greetings,
      Not all wool sheep are high in lanolin, some like Gulf Coast have very
      low lanolin levels. So, it would depend on the breed of sheep. Also,
      most spinning today is done with washed wools, very well washed wools.
      The lanolin is removed before spinning.

      Bright Blessings,
      Garth & Kim Travis
      www.TheRoseColoredForest.com
      Bedias, Texas

      On 7/26/2012 11:58 AM, lazlo75501 wrote:
      > These questions will probably sound strange. Lanolin in wool appears to contain crazy high levels of vitamin D. Can a person get vitamin D transdermally from wearing wool garments or by consuming food touched after handling wool garments? It may be that all the lanolin is extracted from wool during processing. Can sheep shearers get too much vitamin D?

      > -----
      > No virus found in this message.

    • Lana M. Gibbons
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 27, 2012
        This is an interesting question. I cloth diapered my daughter, using
        cotton prefolds and wool covers that you treat with lanolin to make them
        waterproof. I know Vitamin D is used in A&D ointment for diaper rashes. I
        wonder if the lanolin played a role in the practical non-existance of
        diaper rash until we switched to PUL covers? I know the wool is more
        breathable in general and I always thought that was the reason, but maybe
        there's something more to it.

        I am fairly certain the majority of the lanolin is removed by the time the
        wool becomes a garment, but lanolin is used in skin creams and ointments
        because it has some unique healing properties. I wonder how much of that
        is due to it's Vitamin D content.

        -Lana

        "We are here to add what we can to life, not to get what we can from life."
        - William Osler