Re: followup: Illegal deterrant is Sales Tax

  • FairTaxSupportPA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2006
      << On 3/29/06, CWB02 <cwb02@...> wrote:

      > Sent to media today:
      > > The reason the illegals come to the US is for MONEY.

      To Charles and others,

      You are wrong Charles. Texas has the highest property and sales tax yes, and
      the illegals pay that sales tax now. And yet, an overly large portion of
      illegals remain in Texas. If they didn't want to pay taxes, they would leave
      Texas and move to States with high income taxes and low or no sales tax. This way
      they would work "underground" as undocumented workers, and pay NO tax at all.

      While the sales tax will help bring all illegals into the system, thus
      possibly lowering the rate a tad for everyone, it will have very little effect on
      the illegal migration numbers that are rising. Until Pres. Bush quits giving
      American jobs away via corporate subsidies in the form of low wages, we will
      NEVER get illegal migration under control. As soon as the "guest worker" program
      is put into effect, the employers will lower their pay scales once again, and
      "illegals" will again come in taking those lower wage jobs that "no one else
      wants".

      Beware of the rule of unintended consequences.
      FairTax will NOT help migration. In fact, it could hurt. As soon as all
      illegals are paying into the tax system, they will demand more benefits than they
      currently can't ask for, since they currently don't contribute taxes. The cost
      per tax payer could actually rise, if we have to give all illegals benefits,
      regardless of their income and "consumption" tax status.

      Marlene Tobin
      PA Representative - NRSTA
      ____
      Subj: Re: [FairTax] Illegal deterrant
      Date: 3/31/06 11:21:20 AM Eastern Standard Time
      From: Chad@... (Chad Bradley)
      Sender: nationalfairtax@yahoogroups.com
      To: nationalfairtax@yahoogroups.com

      Even if they DO come it will benefit the USA.

      Look at Texas vs. California. Texas relies heavily on Property Tax and
      Sales Tax - no income tax. Texas is the lowest taxed state in the country,
      but has 1 of the 4 highest number of illegal aliens.

      On 3/29/06, CWB02 <cwb02@...> wrote:

      > Sent to media today:
      >
      > The reason the illegals come to the US is for MONEY.
      >>
      >> The way to stop it is to TAX the ILLEGALS.
      >
      >> The way to tax the illegals is to enact to FAIRTAX.
      >

      > The FAIRTAX puts an effective 23% TAX on ILLEGALS by paying all legal
      > residents a PREBATE.
      >>
      >> If you TAX them, they will not come!!!!
      >>>
      > Thanks for listening, Charles
    • Sunnye Tiedemann
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2006
        The difference, Marlene, is that since 47 other states have state sales
        taxes as well, illegals don't have much choice. Also, most are not
        educated enough to know that there are a few states that don't have
        sales taxes.

        <<

        it will have very little effect on
        the illegal migration numbers that are rising.>>
        You mean affect. The purpose of the FairTax is not to affect illegal immigration; it is to tax everyone equally and fairly. Sure more illegals will come, especially from Mexico if we don't shore up our borders, but they will pay the FairTax and not receive the prebate. In fact, one of the great by-products of the FairTax may possibly be (I can make assumptions, too) that all those unemployed IRS agents will be put to work registering and re-registering citizens into the social security system so that we no longer see the rampant abuse illegal immigrants now impose on that agency.

        The rest of your arguments make assumptions that are not necessarily so
        and are so weak as to be negligible and to indicate that you just don't
        know what you're talking about. There is also a law of INTENDED
        consequences that, in the case of the Fair Tax cancels out your argument
        of "unintended consequences."

        You are no longer a supporter of the FairTax because of your differences
        with headquarters and you have stated that one of your goals is to turn
        as many away from supporting the Fair Tax as you can -- you bragged of
        it. That's what you are trying to do here and I resent it.

        Sunnye Tiedemann, Director KS D3

      • FairTaxSupportPA@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2006
          In a message dated 4/1/06 4:26:57 PM Eastern Standard Time, sunnyet@...
          writes:

          << The difference, Marlene, is that since 47 other states have state sales
          taxes as well, illegals don't have much choice. Also, most are not
          educated enough to know that there are a few states that don't have
          sales taxes. >>

          Yes but 33 of the states that have a sales tax also have a personal INCOME
          TAX which makes their state sales tax rate much lower to cover their budget. If
          the illgals wanted to save money they could go and live in any of those 33
          other states, since they don't pay income tax. Their sales tax would be much
          lower than Texas. But they stay in Texas because thats where their fellow
          illegals are, they speak their language, and most of the offices locally are held
          by Mexicans (legal ones).

          Marlene T.
          PA

          ____

          Subj: Re: [FairTax] Re: followup: Illegal deterrant is Sales Tax
          Date: 4/1/06 4:26:57 PM Eastern Standard Time
          From: sunnyet@... (Sunnye Tiedemann)
          Sender: nationalfairtax@yahoogroups.com
          To: nationalfairtax@yahoogroups.com

          FairTaxSupportPA@... wrote:

          ><< On 3/29/06, CWB02 <cwb02@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Sent to media today:
          > > > The reason the illegals come to the US is for MONEY.
          >
          >To Charles and others,
          >
          >You are wrong Charles. Texas has the highest property and sales tax yes,
          and
          >the illegals pay that sales tax now. And yet, an overly large portion of
          >illegals remain in Texas. If they didn't want to pay taxes, they would leave
          >Texas and move to States with high income taxes and low or no sales tax.
          This way
          >they would work "underground" as undocumented workers, and pay NO tax at all.
          >
          >While the sales tax will help bring all illegals into the system, thus
          >possibly lowering the rate a tad for everyone, it will have very little
          effect on
          >the illegal migration numbers that are rising. Until Pres. Bush quits giving
          >American jobs away via corporate subsidies in the form of low wages, we will
          >NEVER get illegal migration under control. As soon as the "guest worker"
          program
          >is put into effect, the employers will lower their pay scales once again,
          and
          >"illegals" will again come in taking those lower wage jobs that "no one else
          >wants".
          >
          >Beware of the rule of unintended consequences.
          >FairTax will NOT help migration. In fact, it could hurt. As soon as all
          >illegals are paying into the tax system, they will demand more benefits than
          they
          >currently can't ask for, since they currently don't contribute taxes. The
          cost
          >per tax payer could actually rise, if we have to give all illegals benefits,
          >regardless of their income and "consumption" tax status.
          >
          >Marlene Tobin
          >PA Representative - NRSTA
          >____
          >Subj: Re: [FairTax] Illegal deterrant
          >Date: 3/31/06 11:21:20 AM Eastern Standard Time
          >From: Chad@... (Chad Bradley)
          >Sender: nationalfairtax@yahoogroups.com
          >To: nationalfairtax@yahoogroups.com
          >
          >Even if they DO come it will benefit the USA.
          >
          >Look at Texas vs. California. Texas relies heavily on Property Tax and
          >Sales Tax - no income tax. Texas is the lowest taxed state in the country,
          >but has 1 of the 4 highest number of illegal aliens.
          >
          >On 3/29/06, CWB02 <cwb02@...> wrote:
          >

          >> Sent to media today:
          >>
          >>The reason the illegals come to the US is for MONEY.
          >>

          >>>The way to stop it is to TAX the ILLEGALS.
          >>>

          >>>The way to tax the illegals is to enact to FAIRTAX.
          >>>

          >>The FAIRTAX puts an effective 23% TAX on ILLEGALS by paying all legal
          >>residents a PREBATE.
          >>

          >>>If you TAX them, they will not come!!!!
          >>>

          >>Thanks for listening, Charles

        • CWB02
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2006
            Marlene,

            Do you think it might have something to do with the location of the
            state vs. the boarder? You are only talking a few percentage points
            between states, except a few states with no sales tax that illegals
            from the south would not want to live in. The prebate is 30%
            (exclusive as state tax is stated) difference between legal and
            illegal immigrants (assuming low income). That is a big difference.

            There is a psychological affect that you haven't considered, a family
            of legal immigrants receiving a prebate, and an illegal family not
            receiving the same prebate. This will be a big status difference.

            Charles

            --- In nationalfairtax@yahoogroups.com, FairTaxSupportPA@... wrote:

            > << On 3/29/06, CWB02 <cwb02@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Sent to media today:
            > > > The reason the illegals come to the US is for MONEY.
            >
            > To Charles and others,
            >
            > You are wrong Charles. Texas has the highest property and sales tax
            yes, and
            > the illegals pay that sales tax now. And yet, an overly large
            portion of
            > illegals remain in Texas. If they didn't want to pay taxes, they
            would leave
            > Texas and move to States with high income taxes and low or no sales
            tax. This way
            > they would work "underground" as undocumented workers, and pay NO
            tax at all.

            > While the sales tax will help bring all illegals into the system, thus
            > possibly lowering the rate a tad for everyone, it will have very
            little effect on
            > the illegal migration numbers that are rising. Until Pres. Bush
            quits giving
            > American jobs away via corporate subsidies in the form of low wages,
            we will
            > NEVER get illegal migration under control. As soon as the "guest
            worker" program
            > is put into effect, the employers will lower their pay scales once
            again, and
            > "illegals" will again come in taking those lower wage jobs that "no
            one else
            > wants".
            >
            > Beware of the rule of unintended consequences.
            > FairTax will NOT help migration. In fact, it could hurt. As soon as all
            > illegals are paying into the tax system, they will demand more
            benefits than they
            > currently can't ask for, since they currently don't contribute
            taxes. The cost
            > per tax payer could actually rise, if we have to give all illegals
            benefits,
            > regardless of their income and "consumption" tax status.
            >
            > Marlene Tobin
            > PA Representative - NRSTA
            > ____
            > Subj: Re: [FairTax] Illegal deterrant
            > Date: 3/31/06 11:21:20 AM Eastern Standard Time
            > From: Chad@... (Chad Bradley)
            > Sender: nationalfairtax@yahoogroups.com
            > To: nationalfairtax@yahoogroups.com
            >
            > Even if they DO come it will benefit the USA.
            >
            > Look at Texas vs. California. Texas relies heavily on Property Tax and
            > Sales Tax - no income tax. Texas is the lowest taxed state in the
            country,
            > but has 1 of the 4 highest number of illegal aliens.
            >
            > On 3/29/06, CWB02 <cwb02@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Sent to media today:
            > >
            > > The reason the illegals come to the US is for MONEY.
            > >>
            > >> The way to stop it is to TAX the ILLEGALS.
            > >
            > >> The way to tax the illegals is to enact to FAIRTAX.
            > >

            > > The FAIRTAX puts an effective 23% TAX on ILLEGALS by paying all legal
            > > residents a PREBATE.
            > >>
            > >> If you TAX them, they will not come!!!!
            > >>>
            > > Thanks for listening, Charles

          • Howard Johnson
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 2, 2006

              Why are we debating this?!!!  Does this yahoo group have nothing better to do with your time?  How about using the time and space to discuss ideas and proposals that will get the FairTax passed instead of debating the FairTax over the income tax in relationship to immigration.  That is a side issue and not worthy of our time.  Please stop it!!!!

              Howard Johnson, Florida volunteer

> [...]

              > PA Representative - NRSTA
              > ____
              > Subj:    Re: [FairTax] Illegal deterrant
              > Date:   3/31/06 11:21:20 AM Eastern Standard Time
              > From:   Chad@... ( Chad Bradley)
              > Sender: nationalfairtax@yahoogroups.com
              > To: nationalfairtax@yahoogroups.com
              >
              > Even if they DO come it will benefit the USA .
              >
              > Look at Texas vs. California .  Texas relies heavily on Property Tax and
              > Sales Tax - no income tax.  Texas is the lowest taxed state in the
              country,
              > but has 1 of the 4 highest number of illegal aliens.
              >
              > On 3/29/06, CWB02 <cwb02@...> wrote:
              > >
              > >  Sent to media today:
              > >
              > > The reason the illegals come to the US is for MONEY.
              > >>
              > >> The way to stop it is to TAX the ILLEGALS.
              > >
              > >> The way to tax the illegals is to enact to FAIRTAX.
              > >

              > > The FAIRTAX puts an effective 23% TAX on ILLEGALS by paying all legal

            • Debbie
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 3, 2006
                Message
                I learn a lot from the debates.  Anytime you spreading the word about the FairTax, the majority of the questions from others are compairing it to the current system.  All other questions are comparing to the Flat Tax or how it will affect various segments of the population.  Although the book and the website are very thorough, someone is always comming up with another angle.  It helps if we've already seen it discussed here. Besides, unless you know it all, and I certainly don't, you just might learn something. ;-)

                Debbie K.

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 3, 2006
                  Message

                  HR25 requires that, in order for a person to qualify for the prebate, a person must have a bona fide social security number and be a lawful resident.  Lawful resident includes anyone legally admitted to the US .

                  There are three types of Social Security cards; two of which are issued to legal immigrants:  SS numbers are issued to lawfully admitted persons w/o citizenship, but who need a number to get certain benefits.  They are also issued to persons admitted on a temporary basis with the authorization to work.

                  So it you are writing letters, etc. on this issue, you should say that only “lawful” or “legal” residents of the US are eligible to get the prebate.  Persons residing here “illegally” are not.  This could get support for the FairTax from the large number of  “legal” immigrants residing in the US as well as US citizens.

                  Karen Walby, Ph.D., Director of Research, FairTax.org

                  Qualifications for prebate

                  Section 302:  Qualified Family

                  (2) IDENTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS- In order for a person to be counted as a member of the family for purposes of determining the size of the qualified family, such person must--

                  (A) have a bona fide Social Security number; and

                  (B) be a lawful resident of the United States.

                  Types of Social Security Cards Issued

                  When you receive a Social Security card, it will be one of three types:

                  1. The first type of card is the card most people have, and has been issued since 1935. It shows the person's name and Social Security number, and it lets the person work without restriction. SSA issues it to U.S. citizens and permanent resident aliens.
                  2. The second type of card bears the legend "NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT." SSA issues it to people from other countries who are lawfully admitted to the United States without U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) work authorization, but who need a number because of a federal, state or local law requiring a Social Security number to get a benefit or service.
                  3. SSA began issuing the third type of card in 1992. It bears the legend "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION." It is issued to people who are admitted to the United States on a temporary basis with USCIS (formerly INS) authorization to work.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 5, 2006
                    Howard,

                    You say "discuss ideas and proposals that will get the FairTax passed
                    ", and this is exactly why the illegal alien issue vis-a-vis the
                    FairTax is important.

                    For the "pro"-illegal alien crowd, they could be convinced to support
                    the FairTax based on countering the "anti" crowd's compaint that
                    illegals do not pay income taxes.

                    For the "anti" crowd, they may be convinced to support the FairTax on
                    the basis that the illegal aliens will not qualify for the FCA
                    (prebate) and will therefor be paying 23% -- the highest rate. Also,
                    removing the employer-side SS/M taxes will reduce the cost of legal
                    workers compared to illegal workers.

                    So the FairTax can arguably be offered to both sides and gain
                    additional supporters -- supporters that are currently in the news and
                    watched by Congresscritters.

                    This is why illegal immigration is NOT a side issue. The current
                    media frenzy is an opportunity to advance the FairTax.

                    Regards,
                    Kirk

                    --- In nationalfairtax@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Johnson"
                    <discoveryintl@...> wrote:

                    > Why are we debating this?!!! Does this yahoo group have nothing
                    better to
                    > do with your time? How about using the time and space to discuss
                    ideas and
                    > proposals that will get the FairTax passed instead of debating the
                    FairTax
                    > over the income tax in relationship to immigration. That is a side
                    issue
                    > and not worthy of our time. Please stop it!!!!
                    > Howard Johnson, Florida volunteer
                    >
                    > _____

                    x+auction&w2=Government+tax+lien&w3=Income+tax&w4=Government+tax+lien+certif
                    > icate&c=4&s=106&.sig=6e0v7TKlME1lhwhnCGVv3Q> tax auction
                    > Government

                    uction&w2=Government+tax+lien&w3=Income+tax&w4=Government+tax+lien+certifica
                    > te&c=4&s=106&.sig=dn7r23TOjXVITZcatNWRog> tax lien
                    > Income

                    =Government+tax+lien&w3=Income+tax&w4=Government+tax+lien+certificate&c=4&s=
                    > 106&.sig=nJpSEVTNU4pvlg--wZQcug> tax
                    >
                    > Government

                    rnment+tax+auction&w2=Government+tax+lien&w3=Income+tax&w4=Government+tax+li
                    > en+certificate&c=4&s=106&.sig=yiwgl40n8NYjicbokNyMFg> tax lien
                    certificate

                    > _____
                    >
                    > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                    >
                    > * Visit your group "nationalfairtax
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nationalfairtax> " on the web.

                    > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                    >
                    > _____

                  • Aaron Schutte
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 5, 2006

                      How the FairTax affects other issues is not going into side issues, but advocating those other issues on the FairTax groups is.

                      Although FairTax supporters range the political spectrum, HR 25 is a single issue bill and we have to keep the focus on the subject that everyone agrees on; the need to replace the current horrible system of federal taxation with the FairTax. No opponents of the FairTax should be able to accuse us of taking political sides in any issue other than tax reform.

                      Thanks for your active support!

                      Aaron Schutte

                      Grassroots Special Projects

                      FairTax.org

                      800-324-7829 x9612

                       Find answers to FairTax questions at http://www.fairtax.org/research.html.

                      //

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 5, 2006

                        Sorry, I don’t buy the argument that the pro-illegal alien crowd would support the FairTax based on countering the “anti” crowd’s complaint that illegals do not pay income taxes.  They are so caught up in the idea that any group that puts forth a proposal that makes illegals pay anything into the system is a racist organization.  It’s not that I believe immigration is a side issue I just don’t want us to be perceived as being racist.  And that can happen very easily in this type of volatile situation.

                        As for the anti-illegal immigration crowd the largest is Numbers U.S.A. (about 3 million strong) which has already endorsed the FairTax for the very reason stated below.  To their members they point out the obvious advantages to implementing the FairTax with regard to the fact that all visitors to our shores (legal as well as illegal) will pay the full 23% while not being illegible to collect the FCA.  But they don’t expound on it outside of their won organization for the very reason that it would sound racist to the pro-illegal immigration crowd.  And, they have been in the lobbying business a lot longer than we have.  Do you think they might know something about political correctness that we don’t?

                        I just feel there is no need to put another argument against the FairTax out there when we have so much positive factors going for us.  In my humble opinion it is just best to say that all 50 million visitors to our shores will pay the 23% sales tax like all Americans but will not be eligible for the FCA and drop all references to illegals.  The pro-illegal crowd can deduce anything they want in that statement but they can not say we are a bunch of racists because we are not targeting illegals.

                        Howard Johnson