(no subject)

  • n6666b@cs.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 28, 2003
      In recent months I've been receiving increasing numbers of inquiries asking
      if Devers and I are still married.

      The answer is that Devers and I are no longer married but are each other's
      best and closest friend.

      Nathaniel Branden

    • Christophe <gnouperdu@yahoo.fr>
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 28, 2003
        Forgive me but I have to say this, Nathaniel.

        I feel disappointed and let down. You and Devers together were an
        ideal for me ever since I first saw the two of you back in the 70's.

        I am glad though that you are the best of friends.

        Best wishes,

        Christophe
      • Mike Lee
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 31, 2003
          I also felt a stab when I read this, along with gratitude that Dr. B told us
          more about it than we deserved to know. I didn't feel disappointed and let
          down.

          I wished I could know more about what happened between Nathaniel&Devers,
          partly hoping for saving insights, partly wanting to satisfy curiosity. But
          I don't know either of them, except through what they have written, so it's
          none of my damn business.

          I'll continue to speculate, of course:

          Maybe this is exactly what they need to be doing with each other now. Maybe
          this is a tragedy. Maybe this proves that they didn't know all that much in
          those books about love after all. Maybe there are no rules or practices that
          will keep you safe. Maybe they are safe and sound and until we reach that
          point in life we won't get it. Maybe, probably, something else.

          It really doesn't change anything in our lives, except maybe to clue us in
          to the fact that we might have been reading Branden like scripture rather
          than to glean wisdom.

          I'm in love, at age 42, after nearly half a lifetime of false starts, with a
          woman that I want to be with for the rest of my life. It bugs the hell out
          of me to think that anything, especially anything "under our control" could
          change how we've been with each other. This weekend, she and I will probably
          talk about this, and hold each other, and look at each other, and wonder
          what comes next.

        • Rich Engle <rdengle@msn.com>
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 31, 2003
            That's one of the coolest posts I've ever read, on a number of
            levels. You can feel the energy coming off it.

            --- In nathaniel_branden@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Lee"

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 31, 2003
              To add a caveat on this, though:

              No matter what the status of NB/Devers, it detracts nothing from the
              work they have done.

              I can say this because everything I have put into practice that was
              offered by either or both of them has done nothing but enhanced my
              marriage.

              Even if they had only been "friends" for 26 years, that would be its
              own statement.

              --- In nathaniel_branden@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Engle

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 1, 2003
                Mike Lee,

                Love grows. Love changes. I have never been very far down that road
                but I suspect that marriage is only one structure in which to house
                love. The way I see it now, Branden and Devers have found a new
                arrangement in which to relate to one another.

                Reading Branden like scripture? Only if you memorize the words and
                recite them as mantra. I take the Branden ideas and apply them to
                the arenas of activity in which I operate.

                Christophe