Re: [nathaniel_branden] Tapping the Healer Within

  • n6666b@cs.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 1, 2002
      Apart from the fact that Callahan is the number one innovator in the field of
      energy psychology, one reason I suggest that people begin with his "Tapping
      the Healer Within," is that Callahan, more than anyone else I know of working
      in the field, attempts to put his work on a scientific foundation. This does
      not mean that I think the other schools have nothing of value to offer,
      however. My suggestion is: read Callahan, check out the others such as EFT,
      and then decide for yourself.

      Nathaniel Branden

    • mpignotti2001
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 2002
        --- In nathaniel_branden@y..., n6666b@c... wrote:
        >Apart from the fact that Callahan is the number one innovator in the
        >field of energy psychology

        Roger Callahan does not consider his work "energy psychology". For
        this reason, you'll find that he does not take part in ACEP (the
        Association for Energy Psychology) and has his own association, ATFT
        (the Association for Thought Field Therapy) that represents Callahan
        TFT. I'm including a passage below by Ian Graham that explains the
        differences and why TFT is not considered to be "energy psychology"
        by Roger Callahan.

        >one reason I suggest that people begin with his "Tapping
        >the Healer Within," is that Callahan, more than anyone else I know
        >of working in the field, attempts to put his work on a scientific
        >foundation.

        I agree and would go further and say that TFT rests on completely
        different theoretical premises as well, that have strong implications
        for differences in practical applications and the direction it is
        evolving in.

        >This does
        >not mean that I think the other schools have nothing of value to
        >offer, however. My suggestion is: read Callahan, check out the
        >others such as EFT, and then decide for yourself.

        To give people further information in making such a decision who are
        interested in learning more about the differences between Callahan
        TFT and Energy Psychology, I am including here a passage from Ian
        Graham's rebuttal to Gary Craig and the statements he has made about
        Callahan TFT on his website. I include it here because it is such an
        eloquent, precise explanation of the differences, not only between
        EFT and TFT but between the larger field of "energy psychology" and
        TFT and what the basic theoretical difference is here. This
        theoretical difference leads to very different practical
        applications. Ian's background is in Biology, which he teaches, and
        he has a beautifully elegant explanation for fear and how it relates
        to TFT principles:

        **********begin quote from Ian Graham:
        TFT does not directly "balance" energy meridians, nor does it
        clear "disturbances" or "blockages" in the meridian system. This is
        a popular but highly unscientific viewpoint held by those with
        limited understanding of the paradigm and the true nature of energy.
        Sadly, it is also an identifying feature of the many therapies
        derived from Callahan's original work.
        If balancing of meridians was the way TFT worked and "order" of
        treatment of those meridians was irrelevant then acupuncturists would
        have discovered TFT / EFT / BSFF/ etc. long ago and it would not
        matter what one thought about during treatment. In TFT - and in
        EFT / BSFF / etc. - thinking about the problem is critical to
        success. TFT alters the expression of coded information within the
        thought field, essentially a reprogramming process – nothing to do
        with rebalancing, unblocking or correcting a disturbance. The
        meridian system is used in TFT in the same way as a computer
        programmer would use a PC keyboard. Tapping on specific energy
        points in a precise order equates to typing in an instruction on a
        keyboard – if the instruction is typed incorrectly the computer does
        nothing.

        Consider the experience of fear. Fear is a highly ordered and
        precisely orchestrated experience which occurs in exactly the same
        manner in all members of the same species (constriction of peripheral
        blood vessels, dilatation of visceral blood vessels, adrenalin
        release, etc.), commonly known as the fight-or-flight reaction. As
        those events are highly ordered and balanced in both time and space,
        it is foolish to contend that they arise from a disordered,
        unbalanced or blocked system. However, the situation in which that
        fear response is generated may be abnormal - as is the case with a
        phobia (a fear of something harmless) - but the individual is still
        having a normal response to something which they perceive as a threat
        to their well-being, no matter how odd it seems to a non-phobic
        observer. In other words the normal program is being activated
        abnormally. The key to resolving this is to deactivate the
        triggering instructions.

        Indeed, the perturbations associated with fear have a vital and
        functional purpose directly related to the survival response of the
        individual as a child but which may subsequently be deactivated as
        part of the process of maturation to adulthood. It is often a
        failure of this deactivation during the maturation phase that gives
        rise to inappropriate emotional experience. For example, all
        children develop a fear of heights as soon as they begin to crawl but
        with maturation this fear is rapidly subsumed so that it is lost by
        adulthood. If this deactivation does not occur then the fear of
        heights remains. Essentially, TFT does what nature failed to do for
        whatever reason.
        ******************end quote

        If people are interested in getting Ian Graham's full paper
        containing his rebuttal to EFT and Gary Craig, write to Ian Graham at
        ian@... and he will send it to you. If people
        are going to read Gary Craig, its important to read Ian's response
        that sets the record straight on what I see as inaccuracies about
        Callahan TFT as represented in Gary Craig's essay.

        Monica Pignotti
      • gnouperdu
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 2002
          Monica,

          Thank you for your comments. I will get a copy of "The Healer
          Within."

          The therapist I am going to see does not mention TFT in her list of
          credentials. She does mention EFT. Her credentials also include
          Seemorg Matrix, which is something Branden is interested in and
          referred to in a short essay on his site.

          What do you know about Seemorg Matrix, Monica?

          gnouperdu
        • mpignotti2001
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 1, 2002
            --- In nathaniel_branden@y..., "gnouperdu" <gnouperdu@y...> wrote:
            > Monica,
            >
            > Thank you for your comments. I will get a copy of "The Healer
            > Within."

            The name of the book is "Tapping the Healer Within" by Roger
            Callahan. I make this distinction because there is another book
            called "The Healer Within" that does not have anything to do with TFT.

            > The therapist I am going to see does not mention TFT in her list of
            > credentials. She does mention EFT. Her credentials also include
            > Seemorg Matrix, which is something Branden is interested in and
            > referred to in a short essay on his site.
            >
            > What do you know about Seemorg Matrix, Monica?

            Seemorg Matrix is a system developed by Asha Nahoma Clinton that
            utilizes chakra treatment points instead of the meridians. This is a
            different and separate system from TFT and I do believe her work has
            value. If you want to know if this particular therapist is well
            qualified to do Seemorg Matrix Work, then I'd suggest checking her
            out with Asha Nahoma to determine if she's qualified to do this and
            what her level of training is.

            If you are going to see a therapist who does not have Callahan TFT
            credentials and uses EFT instead, then realize that you will not be
            getting the full power of Callahan TFT, since EFT is based on very
            different theoretic principles than Callahan TFT and that this
            therapist is in no way a representative of TFT, so don't judge TFT by
            what happens with this person. The fact this person elects to do EFT
            rather than EFT tells me she hasn't a clue about TFT principles and
            is probably loaded with misconceptions about TFT, especially if all
            she knows about Callahan TFT is what she learned from Gary Craig. If
            people are interested in trying Callahan TFT, I'd highly recommend
            getting a referral directly from Callahan Techniques. I'd recommend
            doing this if you don't get the results you want from this therapist.

            Monica Pignotti
          • madmaxmedia
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 2, 2002
              Hi Robert,

              I know others here are interested in Callahan, EFT, etc., and I hope
              more people share their experiences here.

              I downloaded the EFT manuals as a start last week, and will be
              buying Callahan's book next. All I can say right now is that there
              is something significant in my experience, and I was skeptical (but
              still open) to begin with too.

              Fortunately the techniques are available to all who are interested
              for little or no investment of money, and only a little investment
              of time.

              I wonder if and how TFT/EFT will affect our understanding of human
              behavior. For example, how does it 'fit in' with NB's body of work?
              I think they should fit in very well together, especially with
              sentence completion in an applied process.

              Thanks, Steve
            • manet27
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 3, 2002
                I was pleased to read comments and thoughts about TFT and Energy
                Psychology from all. Since this thinking is new to me I am reading it
                with care. The concept of energy fields surrounding us sounds like
                science fiction but I like SF.
                I have read Dr. Callahan's book up to Chapter 2. He talks about his
                life as a Psychiatrist and how he followed all the traditional roles.
                He was however disatisfied with the low precent of patients that were
                helped. He says he is a person who is open for new ideas and this led
                him to "invent" the Tapping Process.
                Dr. claims a 75-80% success using formulas in his book to get
                negative emotions resolved.
                Wow, that sure sounds interesting. So I am going to plunge further
                into his book. I usually read these kind of books slowly and
                thoughtfully so I may post not to fast.
                I remember how I first found NB. In 1997 my wife and I were using
                an AOL Psychological test to see what kind of persons we were. It was
                fun to play around with but I kept getting test results that I might
                have some Self Esteem problems. I thought I would look into that and
                went to the big book store in Ann Arbor to find something on SE.
                1000's of books available and I looked & of course here was where I
                found Nathaniel Branden book "6 Pillars of Self-Esteem."
                That has been a change in my life. At that time I worked in an
                auto assembly plant those factories breed low SE. It's a normal
                function there. You would have to be on an assembly line to
                understand what I am talking about. The effect of reading NB's book
                in that environment was electrifying and very unexpected. I have
                change many things in my life including not working there any more.
                But I still have difficulties that I am hoping to solve with
                possibly the "Tapping" book.

                Robert
              • Monica Pignotti
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 3, 2002
                  manet27 <giotto127@...> wrote:

                  > I was pleased to read comments and thoughts about TFT and Energy
                  > Psychology from all. Since this thinking is new to me I am reading it
                  > with care. The concept of energy fields surrounding us sounds like
                  > science fiction but I like SF.

                  I'm really glad you are reading this book with care and that you brought
                  this up because this is a major misconception many people have. What Roger
                  Callahan describes in his book are not "energy fields" at all, they are
                  thought fields. Thought fields are not energy fields "surrounding us",
                  although there is much erroneous information on the internet about this,
                  written by people who did not truly understand his work, and Roger has
                  repeatedly tried to correct people on this misconception. There is nothing
                  mystical or SF about this, except that I do believe that this is the therapy
                  of the future. This is where we have to be very careful in drawing
                  conclusions that this is woo woo mysticism when the theoretic principles
                  Roger Callahan derived were came from induction from concrete observations.
                  People reading this book, need to put any mysticism you've read from
                  proponents of "energy psychology" out of their minds, before reading
                  Callahan because that's not what he's about at all. The reason I
                  recommended intensive study of Callahan first is that people who have read
                  the misinformation, have a great deal of preconceived notions about his
                  theories, that need to be unlearned.

                  > I have read Dr. Callahan's book up to Chapter 2. He talks about his
                  > life as a Psychiatrist and how he followed all the traditional roles.

                  Dr. Callahan is a Ph.D. psychologist, not a psychiatrist.

                  > He was however disatisfied with the low precent of patients that were
                  > helped. He says he is a person who is open for new ideas and this led
                  > him to "invent" the Tapping Process.

                  TFT was discovered, not invented. His entire career, he had been looking
                  for effective treatments for psychological problems and made his discoveries
                  in TFT based on scientific experiments, very comparable to the hard science
                  type of experiments done in early physics, where a cause and effect
                  relationship could be readily observed. He discovered the principles of TFT
                  by induction from reality, rather than assuming anything mystical, as some
                  people who have misunderstood his work had done. It is true that he was
                  always open to new ideas but it's also important to understand that he did
                  not easily accept those new ideas unless they could be proven to help
                  clients. He went through a lot of things that he disgarded, before making
                  his TFT discoveries.

                  > Dr. claims a 75-80% success using formulas in his book to get
                  > negative emotions resolved.
                  > Wow, that sure sounds interesting. So I am going to plunge further
                  > into his book. I usually read these kind of books slowly and
                  > thoughtfully so I may post not to fast.

                  I applaud your wisdom in wanting to really understand this and I do
                  recommend that read Callahan, slowly and carefully, so as not to confuse
                  what he's saying with earlier theoretical models of people who were mystics
                  that used the acupuncture meridian system. I'm really glad to hear of your
                  interest in doing this.

                  > I remember how I first found NB. In 1997 my wife and I were using
                  > an AOL Psychological test to see what kind of persons we were. It was
                  > fun to play around with but I kept getting test results that I might
                  > have some Self Esteem problems. I thought I would look into that and
                  > went to the big book store in Ann Arbor to find something on SE.
                  > 1000's of books available and I looked & of course here was where I
                  > found Nathaniel Branden book "6 Pillars of Self-Esteem."
                  > That has been a change in my life. At that time I worked in an
                  > auto assembly plant those factories breed low SE. It's a normal
                  > function there. You would have to be on an assembly line to
                  > understand what I am talking about. The effect of reading NB's book
                  > in that environment was electrifying and very unexpected. I have
                  > change many things in my life including not working there any more.
                  > But I still have difficulties that I am hoping to solve with
                  > possibly the "Tapping" book.

                  Please do let me know if you have any questions as you read the book, and
                  I'll do my best to answer.

                  Monica Pignotti
                • manet27
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 4, 2002
                    Monica
                    I liked the way you answered what I wrote. It made me think. And I
                    would certainly enjoy having you answer my questions and anyone's
                    else's comments on this subject.

                    --- In nathaniel_branden@y..., "Monica Pignotti" <pignotti@w...>

                  • manet27 <giotto127@hotmail.com>
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 14, 2002
                      I have finished page 68 of Roger Callahan's book, "Tapping the
                      Healer Within". The next page begins Part 2 and the learning of how
                      to apply the Tapping process.
                      The first part was an explanation on how "Tapping" worked on
                      varoious patients of DR. Callahan and it is very impressive. One
                      young woman was cured of her despair of having Cancer and another
                      lost her anxiety after being sexually assaulted for a week. The
                      memory of tragic events is not gone but the psychological turmoil is
                      lost.
                      Dr. Callahan says: "Today, Thought Field Therapy works for people
                      of all ages, across all social and cultural lines, and even for the
                      most severe problems (it has also been effective in dogs, cats, and
                      horses!)"
                      He uses methods for measuring change using HRV to measure the
                      change in heart rate and other things which I am not prepared to
                      discuss here. However You don't have to understand how the "TFT"
                      works you just apply it.
                      I have a fear of public speaking and social events like Christmas
                      Parties, I don't know why but I find it hard to function at them. I
                      also have had a problem with asthma but now have in under control
                      with "drugs" The Dr. says he has helped people in these areas. If
                      the Tapping Process" can help me elimate these anxiety I would be
                      beyond grateful.
                      So I begin the Part 2 and see what happens.
                      Robert
                    • Mike Rael
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 15, 2002
                        HI Robert:)
                        The thing to realize is that reality is almost
                        always more complicated, sometimes *far* more
                        complicated, than is presented in the various
                        self-help books.
                        If you want to learn public speaking, sure, try out
                        Callahan's procedure WHILE GOING TO TOASTMASTERS.
                        If you want to approach folks better, READ ABOUT
                        HOW TO DO THIS APPROPRIATELY while trying out
                        Callahan's procedures.
                        As I see it, there are always two issues going on
                        at the same time: having the skills we need in order
                        to achieve something and going through the internal
                        blocks we have towards achievement.
                        Use Callahan's procedures (I prefer EFT most of the
                        time because of simplicity--though I like Callahan's
                        algorithm for depression better than that of EFT) to
                        deal with the internal blocks.
                        Use your common sense, creativity, and skill
                        developing to actually achieve the goal.

                        best wishes always,
                        Mike
                        --- "manet27 <giotto127@...>"

                        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                      • Monica Pignotti
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 17, 2002
                          Robert,

                          Glad to hear you're reading Tapping the Healer Within. You can try the
                          phobia algorithm in the book for fear of public speaking, which works for a
                          high percentage of people. Callahan Techniques also offers a special
                          interactive CD ROM designed specifically to deal with fear of public
                          speaking, if you find you need some additional guidance for this problem
                          (see www.tftrx.com and click on "self help products". While Michael is
                          correct that of course, one does need to learn skills and to know the
                          subject being spoken about, it's been my experience that most people with a
                          fear of public speaking have already gone to organizations like Toast
                          Masters and do know their topic, yet still have the fear, which TFT can be a
                          great help with.

                          Monica Pignotti

                          > I have finished page 68 of Roger Callahan's book, "Tapping the
                          > Healer Within". The next page begins Part 2 and the learning of how
                          > to apply the Tapping process.
                          > The first part was an explanation on how "Tapping" worked on
                          > varoious patients of DR. Callahan and it is very impressive. One
                          > young woman was cured of her despair of having Cancer and another
                          > lost her anxiety after being sexually assaulted for a week. The
                          > memory of tragic events is not gone but the psychological turmoil is
                          > lost.
                          > Dr. Callahan says: "Today, Thought Field Therapy works for people
                          > of all ages, across all social and cultural lines, and even for the
                          > most severe problems (it has also been effective in dogs, cats, and
                          > horses!)"
                          > He uses methods for measuring change using HRV to measure the
                          > change in heart rate and other things which I am not prepared to
                          > discuss here. However You don't have to understand how the "TFT"
                          > works you just apply it.
                          > I have a fear of public speaking and social events like Christmas
                          > Parties, I don't know why but I find it hard to function at them. I
                          > also have had a problem with asthma but now have in under control
                          > with "drugs" The Dr. says he has helped people in these areas. If
                          > the Tapping Process" can help me elimate these anxiety I would be
                          > beyond grateful.
                          > So I begin the Part 2 and see what happens.
                          > Robert

                          > Visit Nathaniel Branden's web site at:
                          > http://www.nathanielbranden.com/

                        • Bryan Greifinger
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 17, 2002
                            Monica can you tell me if Callahans work would help someone with test
                            anxieties? She is basically a math phobic.....she knows the work but when
                            she gets to the test and the problems start to get hard she immediately
                            shuts down and forgets what she knows....

                            Thanks,
                            Bryan