Trace Closure Near Ridgeland

  • Allen Richard
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2012
      Now's the time to ride the Clinton to Ridgeland stretch:

      Natchez Trace Parkway News Release
      Release date: March 13, 2012
      Contact: Chief of Maintenance Barry Boyd
      Phone number: (662)
      680-4020

      NATCHEZ TRACE PARKWAY TO CLOSE 8-MILE SECTION SOUTH OF RIDGELAND, MS
      (Milepost 92.9 to 101.1)

      The National Park Service will be closing an 8-mile section of the Natchez
      Trace Parkway to vehicular traffic on March 14, 2012, due to a major safety
      hazard that has developed near milepost 94.8 between Ridgeland, MS, and
      Clinton, MS. Engineers have identified the potential for collapse of the
      roadway due to instability in the embankment. Over the past year, several
      emergency repairs were completed; however, the section has continued to
      deteriorate to the point where it is unsafe for vehicular traffic. (Map
      enclosed)

      Detour:

      The closure will be in effect between I-55 and US 49. Additional travel
      time should be less than 10 minutes.

      · Southbound traffic will exit the Parkway at I-55 South (MP 101.1), to
      I-220, to US 49 North, where traffic may reenter the Parkway.
      · Northbound
      traffic will exit the Parkway at US 49 South (MP 92.9), to
      I-220 North, to I-55 North, where traffic may reenter the Parkway.

      Duration:

      The National Park Service is working with the Federal Highway
      Administration to make repairs to the roadway section. The duration of the
      closure could exceed one year.

      Bicycle Traffic:

      Bicycle traffic will not be affected by the closure. Engineers believe
      that a portion of one lane can safely remain open for bicycle traffic.
      This is subject to change dependent on future assessments of the road
      condition.

      Superintendent' s Office
      2680 Natchez Trace Parkway
      Tupelo, MS 38804