Donate Food

  • iferonda
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2012
      Hi,

      Posted an "offer" for a bag of frozen food earlier today with no responses. Anyone know where I could possibly donate this food today? My family recently became vegan and went shopping today for new foods, not realizing I couldn't fit everything in the freezer. I had to take out the foods we no longer eat and now I don't know what to do with them. It would be awful to throw them out and I can't find anyone I know who has room to keep them until I find someone who needs the food. Thanks in advance.

      Jennifer
    • Elizabeth Shannon
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2012
        Island Harvest?

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2012
          Or one of the INN soup kitchens. Those places rarely pick up.

        • jennifer
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 1, 2012
            All of those places seem to be closed on weekends. I even tried churches.
            Sent on the Sprint� Now Network from my BlackBerry�

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 1, 2012
              Rock and Wrap it Up - Google web site. They have feed millions of meals to people all over the country. What began as an idea of how to recover and redistribute unsold/used food at concerts and sport stadiums has turned into an organization that vows to not to waste good food.

              They recently started Hungerpedia that matches organizations/groups with those who have items to donate. Think of all those started rolls of toilet paper in hotels. They always put in a new roll for each new guest. The semi-used rolls are now collected and donated to shelters. So there is less in landfills and more in the hands of those that need it.

              Roz

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 1, 2012
                If you can't get a hold of anyone at a church near you, maybe Catholic Charities or St. Brigid in Westbury that has a community outreach-I can't believe no one from free cycle would pick it up-where are you located?

                --- In nassaucafe@yahoogroups.com, "iferonda" <thegivers@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > Posted an "offer" for a bag of frozen food earlier today with no responses. Anyone know where I could possibly donate this food today? My family recently became vegan and went shopping today for new foods, not realizing I couldn't fit everything in the freezer. I had to take out the foods we no longer eat and now I don't know what to do with them. It would be awful to throw them out and I can't find anyone I know who has room to keep them until I find someone who needs the food. Thanks in advance.
                >
                > Jennifer

              • ShortieC
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 1, 2012
                  Where are you located?

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Jan 1, 2012, at 7:10 PM, "profenderle" <profenderle@...> wrote:

                  > If you can't get a hold of anyone at a church near you, maybe Catholic Charities or St. Brigid in Westbury that has a community outreach-I can't believe no one from free cycle would pick it up-where are you located?
                  >
                  > --- In nassaucafe@yahoogroups.com, "iferonda" <thegivers@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi,
                  > >
                  > > Posted an "offer" for a bag of frozen food earlier today with no responses. Anyone know where I could possibly donate this food today? My family recently became vegan and went shopping today for new foods, not realizing I couldn't fit everything in the freezer. I had to take out the foods we no longer eat and now I don't know what to do with them. It would be awful to throw them out and I can't find anyone I know who has room to keep them until I find someone who needs the food. Thanks in advance.
                  > >
                  > > Jennifer

                • Elizabeth Shannon
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 1, 2012
                    Churches I'm familiar with and their social outreach programs have very
                    limited times for accepting donations, such as once a month during Mass.

                    --- In nassaucafe@yahoogroups.com <mailto:nassaucafe%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                    "iferonda" <thegivers@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > Posted an "offer" for a bag of frozen food earlier today with no
                    family recently became vegan and went shopping today for new foods, not
                    realizing I couldn't fit everything in the freezer. I had to take out the
                    foods we no longer eat and now I don't know what to do with them. It would
                    be awful to throw them out and I can't find anyone I know who has room to
                    keep them until I find someone who needs the food. Thanks in advance.

                    > Jennifer

                  • jennifer
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 1, 2012
                      North merrick.