Origami Holiday

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 24, 2009
      It is so exciting that we have so many new members of the Nashville Origami club.  Welcome to you all!

      I'll start with a short introduction and a question....

      I'm Joelle... been folding on and off (more often off) for about 30 years (sounds impressive... it really isn't... I'm just that old.  :-)  )  I would say I've been a somewhat active folder for about 2 years.

      I am most interested in folding geometric shapes.  I like to choose interesting colors and patterns and I like the symmetry and mathematics.  I try animals and other "realistic" folds but I often get frustrated and give in after one iteration rather than folding it a few times until I get it right.  I would like to try wet folding but haven't gotten the courage up yet.

      I love showing people who are new to the art how to do the first simple folds like a sonobe cube or the crane and seeing their excitement.

      So my question... does anyone plan to fold origami to give as holiday gifts this year?

      Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets.  Imagination without skill gives us modern art.
      Tom Stoppard
    • Peggy Bonnington

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 24, 2009
            Back to your question which I didn't answer before, Joelle:  I've downloaded some diagrams, trying to find some "simpler" or more "interesting" ones for a varied group of novices and am going to take the skill (teaching) rather than objects with me to a family holiday reunion in Bozeman, Montana.  While we're all "gearing up" (literally and figuratively) - southerners about to have a REAL white Christmas, wanting to take advantage to some degree of winter sports and scenery charm - I also imagine a house full of folks not all that familiar to each other (in-law extrapolations due to limited stateside time for my niece bringing along numero uno incredible 4-year-old granddaughter from Korea) and with not ALL into nonstop slopes, speed, cold, etc.  So I've been thinking about fireside activities to bring the group together a la apres-ski (or instead of ski): picked up an adult 750 piece puzzle and several "youngster" puzzles AND am taking origami paper and diagrams for what I think could make for interesting multi-generational bonding projects...  One is a Christmas angel (although looks more difficult, haven't tried it myself yet).  So let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

            Again, interested in knowing how many are in the Nashville group... or is that something I can go somewhere and count myself?

            Peggy

            PS  Also will take the treasured little "top" you gave me, Malachi!  Can't remember if I have found the diagram for making that one yet, but I'm sure it would be popular and I'm going to order some foil paper and have it shipped directly there to Montana!

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 24, 2009
              As far as group membership goes, currently we have 3 regular members (i.e. the core group that is local to Nashville and attends almost every meeting.  That includes Joelle and me.  there are another 3 or so members of the list who are a little further afield, but who are interested or who used to live in the area.  And now there are around 11 people total due to the people who have joined since the film screening.  If you're interested in the current count of the yahoo group, you can always check the group site, but that number isn't going to be representative of active, meeting-attending membership.

              It's not a huge group, but I think it's a good start.  I'm just glad to have any kind of group after decades of effective isolation. =)

              It sounds like you have a fun little vacation planned.  I hope the origami goes over well.

              As far as the top goes, sadly the web site that had diagrams no longer exists, but the pages are available via the wayback machine and through video instructions someone created.
              http://web.archive.org/web/20070305235925/http://www.anniefolds.com/topstepfolds1.htm
              http://www.happyfolding.com/instructions-arai-spinning_top

              good luck,
              malachi