upcoming origami events and opportunities

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 19, 2011
      There are a lot of things coming up in the next few months, so I am trying to consolidate them in one email for easy reference.  If you have questions about any of these events, let me know and I will answer them as best I can.

      January
      Saturday, January 22nd, 1-3:30pm, Smyrna Town Centre is hosting the Middle Tennessee Japan Society's New Year's celebration.  I do not know much about the event, and I am not sure if I will be able to attend, but it might be of interest (and a good place to promote our group).
      Smyrna Town Centre: 100 Sam Ridley Parkway West, Smyrna, TN

      February
      Thursday, February 10th, 6-9pm, Joelle and I will be teaching an Origami for Beginners class as part of the University School of Nashville evening class program, which is basically an adult learning program that acts as a fundraiser for the school.  I believe registration is still open if you or someone you know is interested in attending.
      http://eveningclasses.org/

      Thursday, February 17th, 6-9pm, Joelle and I will be teaching a second class for the USN evening class program, this one on origami boxes.  The same info as the prior class applies.

      Sunday, February 20th, 1-4pm, our monthly club meeting will be at Plaza Artist Supply as usual.  If you have any suggestions for a theme or model you would like taught, just send a message to the group and we can discuss it.

      March
      Sunday, March 13th, 1-4pm, the Tennessee Arts League is planning a Japanese Family Day and they would like to know if anyone from the club might be available to teach simple models to children.  I have a conflict, although I am going to see if I might be able to make it anyway.

      Sunday, March 20th, 1-4pm, our regular group meeting.

      Saturday, March 26th is the Nashville Cherry Blossom Festival.  This was a great event for us last year, and the Japanese Consulate has graciously agreed to host us again.  Because origami was so popular last year, I believe they are trying to arrange for a little more space for us this year.  I plan to be there all day, but more help is welcome.  (I just hope the weather is as nice as last year!)
      http://nashvillecherryblossomfestival.org/

      April
      Saturday, April 2nd, 6-9pm is the monthly Tennessee Arts League Art Crawl.  Since they will be hosting an exhibit of Japanese paper dolls, they have asked if we can provide some models for display and be available to teach some simple origami models to a variety of ages.  I plan to teach at this event, but it is always good to have help.  I believe we will be at The Frist Center for this event.

      Saturday, April 9th, 10:30-11:30am, I will be teaching origami at the Inglewood public library as part of their Spring Into Arts program.

      Sunday, April 17th, 1-4pm, our regular group meeting.

      I have scheduled our meeting with Plaza on the 3rd Sunday of the month for the entire year.

      A bit further in the future...
      August 12-14 is the Centerfold Origami Convention in Columbus, OH.  While I could not make it there last year, I hope to go this year. It is a fairly new convention, but what I saw in pictures and video from last year made me jealous of those able to attend.
      http://www.centerfoldconvention.com/
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 20, 2011
        This Saturday... I don't think I can make.  I have a very long run.

        The classes are on my calendar and I will be there.  Are they at USN?

        Feb club meeting, I should have no problem making.

        The March 13th thing I can't make.  I think I'll be in London.  There is a chance I won't go, in which case I could do the family day... it sounds like it would be fun.

        What are the times for the Cherry Blossom Festival?  I have an 11 mile run that day... so I can probably come for the second half like I did last year.

        Joelle

        On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 7:07 PM, Malachi Brown <malachus@...> wrote:

[...]

        The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.

        Mark Twain