Best local place to buy paper?

  • meredith pelham
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2010
      Hi! We haven't made the group meeting yet, but I hope someone can answer a quick question:

      Where's the best place to buy colorful origami paper in Nashville? What type of paper do you recommend?

      Last year, I picked up Chiyo Araki's Origami for Christmas at Goodwill, and my 7-year-old worked his way through the whole book by New Year's. This year he wants to do the whole tree in origami, but I'll have to pick up some colorful papers for him this weekend. Any local guidance you can offer will be much appreciated!

      Thanks,
      Meredith

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2010
        If you are just looking for the the best price or selection, the best places are online.  http://kimscrane.com/ is a good one.

        Locally, there are several options that are more convenient.  Plaza Artist Materials, where the origami club meets, is probably the best place, although their hours can be a little challenging.  They have a selection of origami papers ranging from bulk packs of paper that is the same color on both sides to small packs of specialty papers.  They also have a good range of art papers and handmade papers. If you come to a club meeting, they usually discount our purchases that day by 30%, and if you subscribe to their email list they often send out coupons for 30% off a purchase or 40% off one item.

        Jerry's Artarama also has a selection of packs of origami paper as well as handmade and art papers.

        Other local places that have a little bit of origami paper and art paper are Hobby Lobby, Michael's, and Jo Ann Fabrics, although the selection is usually very limited.

        As far as what paper to use?  That's a much more complicated question, as it really depends on what you are going to fold with it.

        There are usually two main kinds of paper you can find in stores around here labeled as "origami paper".  Bulk packs of thin machine made wood pulp paper, sometimes called "kami", that is usually colored on one side and white on the other.  Around here this paper is usually limited to 15cm (around 6inch), which is the most common, with the occasional 20cm (8inch) or 10cm (4inch) packs, and it is usually sold in small quantities.  I have sometimes found 300 sheet packs, but usually 100 sheets is the largest a store will have, if that many (for mixed colors).  Plaza usually has some kami that is the same color on both sides and is not the greatest paper, but is good for some models and for practice, and it comes in a pack of 500 sheets.

        The other type of "origami paper" is specialty papers in smaller quantities that are almost always 15cm squares.  The cost of these can vary greatly depending on the paper.  Some of the finely printed Japanese papers can cost around $6 for 10 sheets, but cheaper, machine made, patterned papers cost less than that and generally have 30-50 sheets.  Some of these papers can be glossy or foil and somewhat difficult to use, depending on the model.

        These types of paper can be used to fold most beginner through high intermediate models without too much difficulty (depending on the specific paper, of course).  Online the variety is larger in both the colors/patterns and the sizes (ranging from 3cm to 30cm, usually).

        For larger models or more complicated models, the options move to buying large sheets of handmade or art paper and cutting it to the desired size. Some of the decorative papers that are sold as 15cm squares can be found in large sheet form.  Sometimes additional preparation of the paper is required, depending on the paper and the intended use.  I've typed a lot, so I won't get in to that just now, but if you want to know more about these options let me know.

        I hope you guys can make it out to a meeting some time.

        p.s. here are some things I have folded with various papers as an example.

        mulberry tissue (thin handmade paper, difficult to fold untreated): http://www.flickr.com/photos/malachus/217169187/in/set-72157603087595076/
        glassine/semitransparent paper (thin, difficult to fold): http://www.flickr.com/photos/malachus/3217290884/in/set-72157603087595076/
        mulberry tissue backcoated with lokta paper (wet folded): http://www.flickr.com/photos/malachus/1970681039/in/set-72157603087789350/