origami math classes online

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2010
      This was posted to one of the origami mailing lists. I'm sure I will
      check them out... someday...

      malachi

      Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 21:28:43 -0500 (EST)
      From: Erik Demaine <edemaine@...>
      Subject: [Origami] Online videos on Geometric Folding Algorithms

      Dear Origamists,

      This semester I've been teaching my graduate class about
      Geometric Folding Algorithms: Linkages, Origami, Polyhedra
      (also the title of the textbook, written with Joe O'Rourke).
      This time Marty Demaine (my dad) and I video-recorded the lectures.
      The lectures are freely available (and will be so forever) from

      http://courses.csail.mit.edu/6.849/fall10/lectures/

      Lecture 1 is a high-level overview of the whole class, which should be
      very accessible. Lectures 2-7 and 22 are the bulk of the origami content,
      covering single-vertex crease patterns, tree method, Origamizer, self-
      folding robotic sheets, fold & one cut, and nonexistence of hyperbolic
      paraboloids. The other lectures are about folding 1D structures (linkages),
      protein folding, hinged dissections, and folding polyhedra from nets.

      Some of the lectures are more technical than others, or technical in spots
      but not otherwise; I try to never assume much mathematical background.
      Generally I aim to give the intuition and ideas, at a fairly rapid pace,
      though sometimes I'll delve into a more technical proof.

      Also included are a few guest lectures by folks in the origami community:

      * Lecture 6 is a guest lecture by Jason Ku about representational origami art
      (a survey and a bit about how he approaches design)
      * Lecture 20 is a guest lecture by Tom Hull about Maekawa and Kawasaki's
      Theorems, and how they're actually older and more general than we thought.
      * Lecture 23 (coming up on December 8) is a guest lecture by
      Tomohiro Tachi (currently visiting MIT) about his awesome work.

      I hope you enjoy the lectures! Let me know if you have any feedback.

      Erik
      --
      Erik Demaine | edemaine@... | http://erikdemaine.org/