38Re: [nashvilleorigami] Origami Holiday

    Nov 24, 2009
      I don't have plans to give origami as gifts, but I have had a plan for several years now to construct an origami nativity set, I just have not gotten around to it.  I have a couple of good books in Spanish with a couple of nativities in different styles of origami, it's just a daunting project to work on.  I usually think about it this time of year, but I don't have the time to work on it.  Then I think about it in January and I think to myself that I have a year to work on it so I put it off... maybe next year is the year of the origami nativity set?

      =)

      malachi

      On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 1:52 PM, J K <t3naciousj@...> wrote:

      It is so exciting that we have so many new members of the Nashville Origami club.  Welcome to you all!

      I'll start with a short introduction and a question....

      I'm Joelle... been folding on and off (more often off) for about 30 years (sounds impressive... it really isn't... I'm just that old.  :-)  )  I would say I've been a somewhat active folder for about 2 years.

      I am most interested in folding geometric shapes.  I like to choose interesting colors and patterns and I like the symmetry and mathematics.  I try animals and other "realistic" folds but I often get frustrated and give in after one iteration rather than folding it a few times until I get it right.  I would like to try wet folding but haven't gotten the courage up yet.

      I love showing people who are new to the art how to do the first simple folds like a sonobe cube or the crane and seeing their excitement.

      So my question... does anyone plan to fold origami to give as holiday gifts this year?

      Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets.  Imagination without skill gives us modern art.