36Origami Holiday

    Nov 24, 2009
      It is so exciting that we have so many new members of the Nashville Origami club.  Welcome to you all!

      I'll start with a short introduction and a question....

      I'm Joelle... been folding on and off (more often off) for about 30 years (sounds impressive... it really isn't... I'm just that old.  :-)  )  I would say I've been a somewhat active folder for about 2 years.

      I am most interested in folding geometric shapes.  I like to choose interesting colors and patterns and I like the symmetry and mathematics.  I try animals and other "realistic" folds but I often get frustrated and give in after one iteration rather than folding it a few times until I get it right.  I would like to try wet folding but haven't gotten the courage up yet.

      I love showing people who are new to the art how to do the first simple folds like a sonobe cube or the crane and seeing their excitement.

      So my question... does anyone plan to fold origami to give as holiday gifts this year?

      Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets.  Imagination without skill gives us modern art.