241Fwd: [OrigamiUSA Members] "Creating Origami" by JC Nolan - Reprint?!

    May 9, 2012
      FYI.  I have put in for my copy of this, as it was typically going for around $150 on ebay every few months when it would show up. I as sold with the "tl;dr".

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Sara Adams <sara@...>
      Date: Wed, May 9, 2012 at 2:50 AM
      Subject: [OrigamiUSA Members] "Creating Origami" by JC Nolan - Reprint?!

      Hi everyone!

      tl;dr*: If you'd like to see "Creating Origami" by JC Nolan reprinted visit
      before Monday, June 4th 2012.

      * too long; didn't read - in other words, beware, this is a longer email. :)

      If you prefer video over reading, check this quick video I did:
      on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-E48PF-oaY
      on happyfolding:
      (which also includes the longer message, which follows below)

      For all others, or those that want some more details than the video provides:

      We all know the problem: many great origami books are published, but
      often they go out of print faster than we'd like. And that means that
      it gets increasingly hard to get a hold of those book.

      This has also been true for the book "Creating Origami" by JC Nolan.

      "Creating Origami" was released in 1995 and is unique in that it not
      only includes diagrams, but in particular features essays on how JC's
      models were designed. He writes about how he started to design, which
      tools and techniques he used, which approaches to designing he
      explored, how examining existing bases brought new insights and
      inspired further bases, and more. This personal report at the same
      time is a guide for aspiring designers, so that they get an idea on
      how to approach the often daunting task of inventing your first own
      models. Or is simply an exquisite read for the interested folder (like

      The essays in JC's "Creating Origami" are backed by several fantastic
      designs, which are divided into two sections: "Inspirations",
      featuring traditional models, as well as models by designers Patricia
      Crawford and Fred Rohm; and "Creations", featuring some of JC's own
      designs. Notably, he diagrammed the models he already mentioned in the
      first part of the book, "Experimentations" (the essays), which gives
      special insight into both the design process as well as a deeper
      understanding of the models presented.

      For those interested, a full table of contents of the models
      diagrammed can be found at
      - and http://creatingorigami.com also features some excerpts from the
      essays in the book.

      As mentioned, "Creating Origami" has the unfortunate fate of being
      extremely hard to get a hold of. Only 500 copies were ever printed. At
      the same time, the essays (and diagrams) make it a unique and very
      desirable book. That's why JC has decided to attempt getting "Creating
      Origami" updated and reprinted. Of course this needs work and time,
      but notably also funding. While JC has already put time and work into
      this project, funding is still lacking. That's why JC has decided to
      use kickstarter.com to raise those funds.

      This means you can help ensure that "Creating Origami" is reprinted!

      Plus, every person that contributes can expect rewards. For example,
      if you back the project with at least $25, you can get a copy of the
      reprinted "Creating Origami" (at no extra charge). It's somewhat like
      buying a book before it's printed (or in this case: reprinted) - just
      that you also help ensure it is indeed printed!

      There are also other rewards available - depending on how much you
      pledge (starting at $5). For example, if you're obsessed with the book
      like me and would like to get one of the original copies from the 1995
      edition, you can back the project with $150 (or more). I will note,
      though, that only four such rewards are available as JC only has 5
      copies left. And as mentioned, I already snatched one of them. :)

      More details are available on the project page

      I encourage you to check it out and decide whether you, too, want to
      support JC in his endeavor to reprint "Creating Origami" and make it
      available for sale again. The campaign will only run for 26 days,
      until June 4th 2012.

      For me it was an easy decision to back the project. I had the great
      opportunity of reading some excerpts from "Creating Origami". It was
      immediately clear to me that I wanted to have a copy and be able to
      read the full texts. But perhaps more importantly, I really want to
      see this work made available to the origami community again. It's a
      work that is really well written, both interesting and educating - and
      truly inspiring. It'd be a shame to not have it more widely available

      -- Sara

      P.S. If you'd like to contact JC, click "send message" on
      Control your subscription at http://origamiusa.org/user/me/user_mailman_register,
      Read the FAQ at http://origamiusa.org/faq_memberslist,
      Send other questions to members-owner@...