USA Rugby News

  • Aaron Gibson
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 6, 2002
      PROFESSIONAL RUGBY IN THE USA: The National Rugby League LLC has been formed
      to launch a major U.S. professional rugby (union) league initially
      comprising 12 teams. The League's first season will commence in the Spring
      of 2003. The NRL intends to capitalize on the growth in the number of rugby
      participants and avid fans in the United States. The League will be fully
      sanctioned as the highest professional league in the United States by the
      United States of America Rugby Football Union ("USA Rugby") and will have
      representation on USA Rugby's Board of Directors. Additionally, the League
      will have a working relationship with the Eagles, the U.S. National Team
      sponsored by USA Rugby.

      There has been strong interest from International Rugby Clubs/Unions who are
      interested in having part ownership of teams in order to facilitate the
      exchange of players, coaches and referees. Franchises and syndicate
      enquiries should be directed to Mr. Doug Logan at Douglas.logan@....

      Mr. Logan is an international sports and entertainment executive who from
      1995 to 1999 was the first President, Commissioner and CEO of Major League
      Soccer in the USA. He supervised the successful launch of the league and its
      ten teams in 1996, and steered the league's expansion to twelve teams in
      1998. During his tenure the asset value of each team rose from $5 million to
      $20 million. Prior to the creation of Major League Soccer, Mr. Logan was the
      chief executive of the largest sports and music promoter in Mexico,
      promoting events ranging from concerts by the Rolling Stones, Paul
      McCartney, Pink Floyd and Madonna to NBA exhibition games and professional
      tennis matches. From 1986 to 1993, he served as Senior Vice President of
      Ogden Corporation where he oversaw the financing, design, construction and
      operation of sports and entertainment facilities worldwide.

    • Russ Wilkening
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 6, 2002
        Does anyone know when USA rugby's website will be back up? I
        think its horrible that our National Union has not had a
        functioning homepage for so long.

        I'm particularly interested in learning the schedule for the
        DIII playoffs. My team qualified for the NorCal playoffs this
        year, but I can find no information on what dates we need to
        plan for should we be fortunate enough to advance. The number
        for USA rugby would be a help, if anyone has it.

        Thanks all,

        Russ Wilkening
        Reno Zephyr RFC

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/
      • aaronegibson
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 6, 2002

          You haven't been able to get through to http://www.usarugby.org ??

          > I'm particularly interested in learning the schedule for the
          > DIII playoffs. My team qualified for the NorCal playoffs this
          > year, but I can find no information on what dates we need to
          > plan for should we be fortunate enough to advance. The number
          > for USA rugby would be a help, if anyone has it.

          well, looking around I see April 13 for the NCRFU Playoffs, and if
          you get through that, April 27-28 (host union: NCRFU) and after that
          it's off to Sacramento May 11-12, and if you get past that you're off
          to Indianola, PA for the national finals.

          Sounds like a long, and expensive trip, good luck

          as for the phone number, 719-637-1022, fax: 719-637-1315

          Again, good luck
          Aaron
        • Russ Wilkening
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 6, 2002
            Thank you, Aaron. Nope, I cannot get that page to come up! I
            take it you can, however. i'll check my security settings. i
            was told DIII men's club sides will go to Rockford, Illinois. i
            hope that is true. I grew up less than an hour from there.
            I'll call the number you supplied on Monday. Thanks for the
            help! Are you planning on playing in Palo Alto sevens this
            summer?

            Russ

            --- aaronegibson <aegibson@...> wrote:
            > --- In narugby@y..., Russ Wilkening <russ_wilkening@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > Does anyone know when USA rugby's website will be back up?
            > > think its horrible that our National Union has not had a
            > > functioning homepage for so long.
            >
            > You haven't been able to get through to
            > http://www.usarugby.org ??
            >

            > > I'm particularly interested in learning the schedule for the
            > > DIII playoffs. My team qualified for the NorCal playoffs
            > this
            > > year, but I can find no information on what dates we need to
            > > plan for should we be fortunate enough to advance. The
            > number
            > > for USA rugby would be a help, if anyone has it.
            >

            > well, looking around I see April 13 for the NCRFU Playoffs,
            > and if
            > you get through that, April 27-28 (host union: NCRFU) and
            > after that
            > it's off to Sacramento May 11-12, and if you get past that
            > you're off
            > to Indianola, PA for the national finals.
            >
            > Sounds like a long, and expensive trip, good luck
            >
            > as for the phone number, 719-637-1022, fax: 719-637-1315
            >

            > Again, good luck
            > Aaron

            http://taxes.yahoo.com/
          • Paul W.F. Bothwell
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 7, 2002
              Russ,

              This is what is listed on the USA Rugby website:

              Men's Club Division III - 2002

              Pool A (South 1, West 1, Pacific 1, Mid-Atlantic 1)
              5/11/2002 - 5/12/2002
              Sacremento, CA
              Granite Park Facility

              Pool B (Northeast 1, Southern Cal 1, South 2, Midwest 1)
              5/11/2002 - 5/12/2002
              Blaine,MN

              Final
              Pittsburgh, PA
              6/1 - 6/2/2002

              Paul W.F. Bothwell
              2 Georgian Court
              Troy, NY 12180
              > Thank you, Aaron. Nope, I cannot get that page to come up! I
              > take it you can, however. i'll check my security settings. i
              > was told DIII men's club sides will go to Rockford, Illinois. i
              > hope that is true. I grew up less than an hour from there.
              > I'll call the number you supplied on Monday. Thanks for the
              > help! Are you planning on playing in Palo Alto sevens this
              > summer?
              >
              > Russ
              >

              > --- aaronegibson <aegibson@...> wrote:
              > > --- In narugby@y..., Russ Wilkening <russ_wilkening@y...>
              > > wrote:
              > > > Does anyone know when USA rugby's website will be back up?
              > > > think its horrible that our National Union has not had a
              > > > functioning homepage for so long.
              > >
              > > You haven't been able to get through to
              > > http://www.usarugby.org ??
              > >

              > > > I'm particularly interested in learning the schedule for the
              > > > DIII playoffs. My team qualified for the NorCal playoffs
              > > this
              > > > year, but I can find no information on what dates we need to
              > > > plan for should we be fortunate enough to advance. The
              > > number
              > > > for USA rugby would be a help, if anyone has it.
              > >

              > > well, looking around I see April 13 for the NCRFU Playoffs,
              > > and if
              > > you get through that, April 27-28 (host union: NCRFU) and
              > > after that
              > > it's off to Sacramento May 11-12, and if you get past that
              > > you're off
              > > to Indianola, PA for the national finals.
              > >
              > > Sounds like a long, and expensive trip, good luck
              > >
              > > as for the phone number, 719-637-1022, fax: 719-637-1315
              > >

              > > Again, good luck
              > > Aaron

              > http://taxes.yahoo.com/
              >

              > Rugbeia Floreat Ubique

            • aaronegibson
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 7, 2002
                I'd love to, but with my job, i may be working weekends again

                Aaron (who still needs to join a club...)

                --- In narugby@y..., Russ Wilkening <russ_wilkening@y...> wrote:
                > Thank you, Aaron. Nope, I cannot get that page to come up! I
                > take it you can, however. i'll check my security settings. i
                > was told DIII men's club sides will go to Rockford, Illinois. i
                > hope that is true. I grew up less than an hour from there.
                > I'll call the number you supplied on Monday. Thanks for the
                > help! Are you planning on playing in Palo Alto sevens this
                > summer?
                >
                > Russ
                >

                > --- aaronegibson <aegibson@p...> wrote:
                > > --- In narugby@y..., Russ Wilkening <russ_wilkening@y...>
                > > wrote:
                > > > Does anyone know when USA rugby's website will be back up?
                > > > think its horrible that our National Union has not had a
                > > > functioning homepage for so long.
                > >
                > > You haven't been able to get through to
                > > http://www.usarugby.org ??
                > >

                > > > I'm particularly interested in learning the schedule for the
                > > > DIII playoffs. My team qualified for the NorCal playoffs
                > > this
                > > > year, but I can find no information on what dates we need to
                > > > plan for should we be fortunate enough to advance. The
                > > number
                > > > for USA rugby would be a help, if anyone has it.
                > >

                > > well, looking around I see April 13 for the NCRFU Playoffs,
                > > and if
                > > you get through that, April 27-28 (host union: NCRFU) and
                > > after that
                > > it's off to Sacramento May 11-12, and if you get past that
                > > you're off
                > > to Indianola, PA for the national finals.
                > >
                > > Sounds like a long, and expensive trip, good luck
                > >
                > > as for the phone number, 719-637-1022, fax: 719-637-1315
                > >

                > > Again, good luck
                > > Aaron

                > http://taxes.yahoo.com/
              • Russ Wilkening
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 7, 2002
                  If you need a team to play with in Palo Alto, consider yourself
                  invited. I play my sevens principally for RATS, Reno Area
                  Touring Side. We field a couple teams, and Palo Alto is
                  wonderful for whoring. many guys have no club affiliation but
                  wind up with 2-5 matches a day

                  Have a good week, y'all!

                  http://taxes.yahoo.com/