USA Rugby: National Championship Venues Announced

  • Aaron Eugene Gibson <aaronegibson@yahoo.
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2003
      http://www.usarugby.org/cgi-bin/02/press/display.pl?releaseId=526

      COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Feb. 28, 2003 – USA Rugby announced the
      venues for its upcoming National Championship Events today.

      When choosing venues for national competitions, USA Rugby uses
      criteria such as quality, number and condition of fields,
      competitions held in the surrounding area and evaluations from prior
      tournaments. Additional criteria such as local weather, locale,
      community support, affordability, and ease of access are also
      considered.

      USA Rugby is utilizing several venues that have been used in the
      past, such as Founders Field in Pittsburgh for the Men's Club
      Championships, while also making use of many new venues, such as the
      site for the High School Championships at Jesuit College Preparatory
      School in Dallas, Texas.

      Following is the schedule for the USA Rugby 2003 National
      Championship Series. Some sites are still to be announced:

      April 19-20, 2003

      Men's Division I Collegiate Sweet 16
      Pool A: Univ. of Cal-Berkeley, Berkeley, CA hosting PC1(1), SC2(16),
      W2(9), MA1(8)
      Pool B: Stanford University, Stanford, CA hosting MW2(7), MA2(10),
      NE2(15), PC2(2)
      Pool C: United States Military Academy, West Point, NY hosting NE1
      (3), MA3(14), SC1(11), PC3(6)
      Pool D: Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, CO hosting MW1(5), S1
      (12), MW3(13), W1(4)

      Women's Division I Collegiate Sweet 16
      Pool A: Univ. of Ill-Champaign/Urbana, Urbana, IL hosting W1(1), MA4
      (8), PC1(9), MW3(16)
      Pool B: Univ. of Cal-San Diego, San Diego, CA hosting MA1(2), SC1
      (7), S1(10), NE2(15)
      Pool C: Univ. of Ill-Champaign/Urbana, Urbana, IL hosting MW1(3), MA3
      (6), PC2(11), MA5(14)
      Pool D: Vassar College, Poughkeepsie, NY hosting MA2(4), MW2(5), NE1
      (12), W2(13)

      Men's Division II Collegiate Elite 8
      Sam Houston University, Huntsville, TX

      Women's Division II Collegiate Elite 8
      Univ. of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, IA

      May 3-4, 2003

      Men's and Women's Division I Collegiate Championship
      Stanford University, Stanford, CA

      Men's and Women's Division II Collegiate Championship
      Watson Park, San Jose, CA

      May 10-11, 2003

      Men's Division I Club Sweet 16
      All Pools: Rolling Hills Soccer Complex, Ft. Worth, TX

      Men's Division II Club Sweet 16
      Pool A: Fort Adams State Park, Newport, RI hosting NE1(1), S2(16),
      MW3(9), W2(8)
      Pool B: Fort Adams State Park, Newport, RI hosting W1(7), SC2(10),
      MA2(15), MW1(2)
      Pool C: Fort Adams State Park, Newport, RI hosting NE2(3), PC2(14),
      PC1(11), MW2(6)
      Pool D: Granite Regional Park, Sacramento, CA hosting S1(5), W3(12),
      MA1(13), SC1(4)

      Men's Division III Club Elite 8
      All Pools: Riverview Farms Park, Newport News, VA

      Women's Division I Club Sweet 16
      Pool A: Granite Regional Park, Sacramento, CA hosting PC1(1), MW4
      (16), SC1(9), S1(8)
      Pool B: Fort Adams State Park, Newport, RI hosting MA1(7), PC2(10),
      W2(15), NE1(2)
      Pool C: National Sports Center, Blaine, MN hosting MW1(3), NE3(14),
      MW3(11), W1(6)
      Pool D: National Sports Center, Blaine, MN hosting NE2(5), PC3(12),
      MA2(13), MW2(4)

      May 16-17, 2003

      Boys' High School Championship
      Jesuit College Preparatory School, Haggar Stadium, Dallas, TX

      May 31-June 1, 2003

      Men's Division I Club Championship
      Founders Field, Pittsburgh, PA

      Men's Division II Club Championship
      Founders Field, Pittsburgh, PA

      Men's Division III Club Championship
      Founders Field, Pittsburgh, PA

      Women's Division I Club Championship
      National Sports Center, Blaine, MN

      June 6, 2003

      Super League Championship
      Balboa Park, San Francisco, CA

      June 6-7, 2003

      Men's Collegiate All Star Championship
      TBA

      June 27-29, 2003

      Women's U-23 All Star Championship
      National Sports Center, Blaine, MN

      Aug 9-10, 2003

      Men's Club 7s
      Founders Field, Pittsburgh, PA

      Aug 23-24, 2003

      Men's and Women's All Star 7s
      TBA

      Dec 5-7, 2003

      Men's and Women's All Star 15s
      TBA

      USA Rugby, founded in 1975, is the national governing body for rugby
      and is a member of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) and
      the International Rugby Board (IRB).

      For more information, or if there is a problem with this
      transmission, contact Jami Zier at 719-637-1022, ext. 210, or via e-
      mail at jzier@....

      -30-