Re: EVIL!!

  • jawolf36@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 12, 2000
      --- In narbonic@egroups.com, "Pinual (Christopher Ellmann)"
      <ellmann@b...> wrote:
      > Ok, I've got to ask. What counts as 'evil Italian'? (other than
      > Mussolini *duck*)

      It's like Johnny Carson's fictional restaurant 'A Little Touch of
      Newark' where one of the specialties of the house was 'Chicken in a
      shallow gravy.'
    • Ed Wells
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 12, 2000
        Fetishini, torturini, smackaroni, ravisholi, the menu varies. The classier
        establishments use real blood in the marinara sauce, not that hokey tomato
        stuff.

        Ed Wells

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 12, 2000
          Ed Wells wrote:
          > Fetishini, torturini, smackaroni, ravisholi, the menu varies. The classier> establishments use real blood in the marinara sauce, not that hokey tomato> stuff.

          Ah... so it's pasta a la stigmata...
        • Leah Smith
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 12, 2000
            THWAP!

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 12, 2000
              Ok.. so Evil Italian could've created some good twisted mafia
              commentary, or even the basic 'never go against a sicilian when DEATH!
              is on the line' .. However, they're now out to eat. .. and again, I'm at
              home, and unable to quite read things on my little monitor.

              So someone wanna help me figure out what the name of the restaurant is?
              It seems to be something like 'notari's' or 'notori's' which made me
              think of 'notorious' and from there the mafia comment in my first
              sentence.

              *shrug*

              anyone?

              -c
            • Stephen Boyd
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 13, 2000
                "Notori's", by process of elimination across the 3
                menus.

                Never go against a mad scientist when Sicilian is on
                the line?

                -- Steve
                <ellmann@...> wrote:
                > Ok.. so Evil Italian could've created some good
                > twisted mafia
                > commentary, or even the basic 'never go against a
                > sicilian when DEATH!
                > is on the line' .. However, they're now out to eat.
                > .. and again, I'm at
                > home, and unable to quite read things on my little
                > monitor.
                >
                > So someone wanna help me figure out what the name of
                > the restaurant is?
                > It seems to be something like 'notari's' or
                > 'notori's' which made me
                > think of 'notorious' and from there the mafia
                > comment in my first
                > sentence.
                >
                > *shrug*
                >
                > anyone?
                >
                > -c

                =====
                Steve Boyd - farside@...
                "Can I have this from someone who's had less caffeine?"
                - Truman, "Armageddon"

                http://shopping.yahoo.com/
              • Pinual (Christopher Ellmann)
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 13, 2000
                  > Never go against a mad scientist when Sicilian is on
                  > the line?

                  *snorts a lot*
                • xineymarie
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 15, 2000
                    ellmann@b...> wrote:
                    > Ok.. so Evil Italian could've created some good twisted mafia
                    > commentary, or even the basic 'never go against a sicilian when DEATH!
                    > is on the line' ..

                    i'm anal (ESPECIALLY when it comes to that movie) and procrastinating,
                    so i just had to mention that i thought it was "never go IN against a
                    sicilian when death is on the line"... i can go check though...

                    *elevator music is heard by all but me as xine fast forwards the
                    battered, over-loved hunk of plastic known as her tape of the princess
                    bride (complete with now-grainy soundtrack whenever a bugle is blared)
                    (or whatever that instrument is, it's more of a bugle ancestor)
                    (anyone?) (bueller?)*

                    ok, yup, i was right. (c: it's "never go in against a sicilian
                    when death is on the line".

                    hmm... what heritage would the name "madblood" imply? transylvanian?
                    or perhaps someone at ellis island got a little creative, back in the
                    day? how would one say "madblood" in italian? (oh goodie, another
                    procrastination project...)

                    ~xine the procrastinatress, who has an entire screenplay ahead of her
                    this evening (an adaptation of "the thirteen clocks" that i don't know
                    how to start)~

                    p.s. chris, i'm sure i would've at least thought of making some joke
                    of the whole "evil italian" thing, but i've been busy doing as much
                    nothing as i can muster the strength to not do, and that would have
                    been something... sorry to disappoint you though. i generally never
                    miss an opportunity to make a painfully bad joke, as you know from the
                    few times we've hung out. and i think whoever did the whole pasta
                    names thing (i forget who) did far better than whatever could have
                    sprung from my own modest wit, even if i had been using it.
                  • Leah Smith
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 15, 2000
                      I'm sorry, but the very lack of evil in today's strip is evil. How are
                      these two people being normal to impress each other??? I'm not happy. I
                      do like the cheerleading for surgery though...
                      -Leah
                    • Ed Wells
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 15, 2000
                        Oh, they're just trying to fake each other out. The immediate question is:
                        where did she check that rock?

                        The long-range question is: after she captures him, will Helen find some way
                        to make this cyberneticist useful around the house...er, lair? If she can do
                        that, then she really is a genius.

                        Ed Wells

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 15, 2000
                          > hmm... what heritage would the name "madblood" imply? transylvanian?
                          > or perhaps someone at ellis island got a little creative, back in the
                          > day? how would one say "madblood" in italian? (oh goodie, another
                          > procrastination project...)

                          Well, since you asked, I'm going to make my standard comment on this
                          subject. Madblood sounds at least therianthropic, and with a first name
                          Lupin, I'd declare it to be a lycanthropic form of the disease. Add to
                          this the fact that Helen's mom died on a stake, and that mad science is
                          "In [her] blood"--- now /that/ sounds transylvanian and vampyric. Of
                          course, what can you do with a geek, a werewolf, a vampyre, and a
                          seductive pyromaniac? well... I don't know either.. but that's why we
                          have Sarge.

                          -c
                        • Ed Wells
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 15, 2000
                            xineymarie wrote:

                            > hmm... what heritage would the name "madblood" imply?

                            English. Both words come from Old English.
                            Those Continental manners seemed fake all along.

                            > how would one say "madblood" in italian?

                            French: sangfou
                            Spanish: sangreloco
                            Indonesian: darahgila

                            Ed Wells, anticrastinator
                          • LinnaLaure@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 15, 2000
                              > how would one say "madblood" in italian?

                              sangrepazzo.

                              ~Lisa
                            • Amanda Van Rhyn
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 17, 2000
                                > Well, since you asked, I'm going to make my standard comment on this
                                > subject. Madblood sounds at least therianthropic, and with a first name
                                > Lupin, I'd declare it to be a lycanthropic form of the disease. Add to
                                > this the fact that Helen's mom died on a stake, and that mad science is
                                > "In [her] blood"--- now /that/ sounds transylvanian and vampyric.

                                I really think assuming that it's lycanthropic/vampiric is a bit of
                                a stretch, considering. I just read "Madblood" as meaning that the art
                                of mad science was a family thing -- that the name was earned by
                                some ancestor with a similar talent for constructs and evil cackling.
                                Combined with Helen's mother's reputation, maybe this means that
                                mad science is actually an inherited occupation, like royalty?
                                And does this mean that Dave's parents were similarly geeky? And what
                                about Mell's?

                                Maybe some things just weren't meant for man to know...
                                -- Amanda
                                "Hold it -- wait a minute / I can't read
                                my writing, My own writing! / like tiny insects
                                in the palm of history..." - Thomas Dolby

                                Send a cool gift with your E-Card
                                http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/