Re: [narbonic] volvo...

  • shaenon@viz.com
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 22, 2002
      >> Volvo? That sounds a bit rude. Kind of like...
      >> uvula, Oldsmobile, or
      >> George McGovern.
      > Well the list of stuff that sounds rude but is'nt is
      > nearly infinite. Pudding? Carp? tacyikons.
      > Seriously though you would THINK dave of ALL pepole
      > would never get his car stolen Working with Helen and
      > Mell his car alram would more than likely involve
      > nerve gas.

      Whoever said Dave got his car stolen? His car turned into a giant
      robot, then exploded. Give the guy some credit.
      Anyway, today I selected the model of Volvo to use for photo reference
      in future strips (like the one I'm penciling tonight). Dave will be
      driving a 1973 Volvo 1800ES. Once something of a glamor car (Roger
      Moore drove one in "The Saint"), the Volvo 1800 has not aged well,
      especially not the ES models with their big-butted "sports wagon"
      design. It's not one of the '80s compact cars more commonly associated
      with Volvo, but I find it entirely deserving of Dave's ownership, and I
      hope you'll feel the same.
      Sarge
    • Joseph Prisco
      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 22, 2002
        On Wednesday, October 23, 2002, at 12:28 AM, <shaenon@...> wrote:

        > Anyway, today I selected the model of Volvo to use for photo
        > reference
        > in future strips (like the one I'm penciling tonight). Dave will be
        > driving a 1973 Volvo 1800ES.

        So the real question is: Is Sarge that concerned about presenting us,
        her readers, with an accurate and detailed comic experience, or does
        she just have some wierd-ass Volvo fetish? Discuss!

        =====
        -><- Pope Zaphod I - aka Joseph Prisco -><-
        mailto:popezaphod@... http://popezaphod.dyndns.org
        "They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
        safety deserve neither liberty or safety." - Ben Franklin
      • Robert McCarthy
        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 22, 2002
          --- shaenon@... wrote:

          > >> Volvo? That sounds a bit rude. Kind of like...
          > >> uvula, Oldsmobile, or
          > >> George McGovern.
          > > Well the list of stuff that sounds rude but is'nt
          > is
          > > nearly infinite. Pudding? Carp? tacyikons.
          > > Seriously though you would THINK dave of ALL
          > pepole
          > > would never get his car stolen Working with Helen
          > and
          > > Mell his car alram would more than likely involve
          > > nerve gas.
          >
          > Whoever said Dave got his car stolen? His car
          > turned into a giant
          > robot, then exploded. Give the guy some credit.
          > Anyway, today I selected the model of Volvo to use
          > for photo reference
          > in future strips (like the one I'm penciling
          > tonight). Dave will be
          > driving a 1973 Volvo 1800ES. Once something of a
          > glamor car (Roger
          > Moore drove one in "The Saint"), the Volvo 1800
          > has not aged well,
          > especially not the ES models with their big-butted
          > "sports wagon"
          > design. It's not one of the '80s compact cars
          > more commonly associated
          > with Volvo, but I find it entirely deserving of
          > Dave's ownership, and I
          > hope you'll feel the same.
          > Sarge
          >

          > 1.ah yes ANYTHING to work in a giant robot! (nobody
          ever likes my nerve gas ideas)
          2. um why do you need car keys to change a car into a
          giant robot? Wait I know! you can only plug the
          posotronic brain into the dashborad lighter. Or maybe
          the "Trasforming circut" If your afraid of Parmont.
          3 Juging from what my brother Jimmy and my high school
          golf couch said you have picked a good car for Dave
          ROB

          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 23, 2002
            Joseph Prisco wrote:

            > On Wednesday, October 23, 2002, at 12:28 AM, <shaenon@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Anyway, today I selected the model of Volvo to use for photo
            > > reference
            > > in future strips (like the one I'm penciling tonight). Dave will
            > be
            > > driving a 1973 Volvo 1800ES.
            >
            > So the real question is: Is Sarge that concerned about presenting us,
            > her readers, with an accurate and detailed comic experience, or does
            > she just have some wierd-ass Volvo fetish? Discuss!
            >
            > =====
            > -><- Pope Zaphod I - aka Joseph Prisco -><-
            > mailto:popezaphod@...
            > http://popezaphod.dyndns.org
            > "They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little
            > temporary
            > safety deserve neither liberty or safety." - Ben Franklin
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            [Image]

            [Image]

            Aside from the Gremlin incident (apropriate for Narbonic Labs, really),
            I vote for the fetish.

          • Dennis Bergendorf
            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 23, 2002
              Robert McCarthy wrote:

              > > 1.ah yes ANYTHING to work in a giant robot! (nobody
              > ever likes my nerve gas ideas)

              Nerve gas is hard to explain to the authorities.

              > 2. um why do you need car keys to change a car into a
              > giant robot? Wait I know! you can only plug the
              > posotronic brain into the dashborad lighter. Or maybe
              > the "Trasforming circut" If your afraid of Parmont.

              Hmmmm... sure.

              > 3 Juging from what my brother Jimmy and my high school
              > golf couch said you have picked a good car for Dave
              > ROB

              A talking "couch"? That plays golf and likes Volvos? Remarkable!

              :-)

            • Graham Gelling
              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 23, 2002
                > > > 1.ah yes ANYTHING to work in a giant robot! (nobody
                > > ever likes my nerve gas ideas)
                >
                > Nerve gas is hard to explain to the authorities.

                Just post very clearly on all windows that this car is protected by mustard
                gas.

                Course the guy who installs and tests the system is fucked!
                alright, let just leave the solonoid in and make sure it fires.... *poof*
                AGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH
              • Stan
                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 23, 2002
                  --- In narbonic@y..., Joseph Prisco <popezaphod@m...> wrote:
                  > On Wednesday, October 23, 2002, at 12:28 AM, <shaenon@v...> wrote:
                  > in future strips (like the one I'm penciling tonight). Dave will
                  > > be driving a 1973 Volvo 1800ES.
                  >
                  > So the real question is: Is Sarge that concerned about presenting
                  us,
                  > her readers, with an accurate and detailed comic experience, or
                  does
                  > she just have some wierd-ass Volvo fetish? Discuss!

                  Hey!
                  There's nothing weird ass about a Volvo fetish.

                  Given his employment and history with cars, Dave was probably going
                  with Volvo for safety reasons. Unfortunately, new meant new to him.
                  He should strike for better wages.

                  Stan
                • Martin Olsson
                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 23, 2002
                    My little page-thingie, with The Great Index of Villains!:
                    http://www.geocities.com/rawanimal.geo/
                    ...just don't expect too much, ok?

                    "Pg mzih ncuvktzgc iux hqyi fyr gvttly vuiu lrihrkhzz."
                    - Jules Verne

                    >Well the list of stuff that sounds rude but is'nt is
                    >nearly infinite. Pudding? Carp? tacyikons.

                    tacyikons? That's a good word, I think. Nice kind of woody quality to it.

                    > Seriously though you would THINK dave of ALL pepole
                    >would never get his car stolen Working with Helen and
                    >Mell his car alram would more than likely involve
                    >nerve gas.

                    But, that would be EVIL...

                    >STill tiny flaw in logic aside I just read a hulk
                    >comic that I think Sheanon could better while asleep
                    >on an island with burnt sticks for pens

                    Though if you value originality highly, perhaps you could argue that most
                    comics would be better if they were drawn with burnt sticks by a sleeping
                    cartoonist. It probably wouldn't be true, but you could always argue it...

                    Anyway... I noticed two things:
                    1) There no longer seems to be a link to "Hell on Wheels" on Narbonic, which
                    is irritating to me because I have a bad memory and want to read it (you
                    said it was updated, didn't you?)...
                    2)...but perhaps this doesn't matter because it seems "Hell on Wheels" is
                    down?

                    mvh,
                    mho?

                    Get faster connections�-- switch to�MSN Internet Access!
                  • Martin Olsson
                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 23, 2002
                      >From: Joseph Prisco <popezaphod@...>

                      >Discuss!

                      No. I won't!!!!
                      /M?
                      ps Anna: Ja, wir bist sehr wahkish! Sm� grodorna, sm� grodorna, hej hopp i
                      lingonskogen. Ja, ja... ds

                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 23, 2002
                        --- Martin Olsson <rawanimal@...> wrote:

                        > My little page-thingie, with The Great Index of
                        > Villains!:
                        > http://www.geocities.com/rawanimal.geo/
                        > ...just don't expect too much, ok?
                        >
                        > "Pg mzih ncuvktzgc iux hqyi fyr gvttly vuiu
                        > lrihrkhzz."
                        > - Jules Verne
                        >

                        > >Well the list of stuff that sounds rude but is'nt
                        > is
                        > >nearly infinite. Pudding? Carp? tacyikons.
                        >
                        > tacyikons? That's a good word, I think. Nice kind of
                        > woody quality to it.
                        >
                        > > Seriously though you would THINK dave of ALL
                        > pepole
                        > >would never get his car stolen Working with Helen
                        > and
                        > >Mell his car alram would more than likely involve
                        > >nerve gas.
                        >
                        > But, that would be EVIL...
                        >
                        > >STill tiny flaw in logic aside I just read a hulk
                        > >comic that I think Sheanon could better while
                        > asleep
                        > >on an island with burnt sticks for pens
                        >
                        > Though if you value originality highly, perhaps you
                        > could argue that most
                        > comics would be better if they were drawn with burnt
                        > sticks by a sleeping
                        > cartoonist. It probably wouldn't be true, but you
                        > could always argue it...
                        >
                        > Anyway... I noticed two things:
                        > 1) There no longer seems to be a link to "Hell on
                        > Wheels" on Narbonic, which
                        > is irritating to me because I have a bad memory and
                        > want to read it (you
                        > said it was updated, didn't you?)...
                        > 2)...but perhaps this doesn't matter because it
                        > seems "Hell on Wheels" is
                        > down?
                        > Hell on wheel the site is down. However there is a
                        mini comic with everything on the site +2 more if you
                        REALLY want it e-mail me your adress and I can send
                        you a copy.

                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 23, 2002
                          hey count your blessings that I did'nt mistype "cooch"

                          http://webhosting.yahoo.com/
                        • Shaenon K. Garrity
                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 23, 2002
                            >> Anyway, today I selected the model of Volvo to use for photo
                            >> reference
                            >> in future strips (like the one I'm penciling tonight). Dave will be
                            >> driving a 1973 Volvo 1800ES.
                            >
                            > So the real question is: Is Sarge that concerned about presenting us,
                            > her readers, with an accurate and detailed comic experience, or does
                            > she just have some wierd-ass Volvo fetish? Discuss!

                            I have an ugly-car fetish.

                            Sarge
                          • Stephen Boyd
                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 24, 2002
                              Or is it just that it's fairly easy to draw fast?

                              -- Steve, the Lurking

                              --- Joseph Prisco <popezaphod@...> wrote:
                              > On Wednesday, October 23, 2002, at 12:28 AM,
                              > <shaenon@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > Anyway, today I selected the model of Volvo to
                              > use for photo
                              > > reference
                              > > in future strips (like the one I'm penciling
                              > tonight). Dave will be
                              > > driving a 1973 Volvo 1800ES.
                              >
                              > So the real question is: Is Sarge that concerned
                              > about presenting us,
                              > her readers, with an accurate and detailed comic
                              > experience, or does
                              > she just have some wierd-ass Volvo fetish? Discuss!
                              >
                              > =====
                              > -><- Pope Zaphod I - aka Joseph Prisco -><-
                              > mailto:popezaphod@...
                              > http://popezaphod.dyndns.org
                              > "They that can give up essential liberty to purchase
                              > a little temporary
                              > safety deserve neither liberty or safety." - Ben
                              > Franklin

                              =====
                              Steve Boyd - farside@...
                              "Can I have this from someone who's had less caffeine?"
                              - Truman, "Armageddon"

                              http://sbc.yahoo.com
                            • Shaenon K. Garrity
                              Message 14 of 30 , Oct 24, 2002
                                > Or is it just that it's fairly easy to draw fast?

                                Cars are never easy to draw! I suck at it. At the moment I'm working
                                under the principle that, since the cars I draw turn out looking ugly, I
                                should choose ugly cars from the start and maybe they'll turn out looking
                                right.

                                Sarge
                              • ewells@telerama.com
                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 24, 2002
                                  You want ugly, you should draw an SUV.

                                  Ed Wells

                                  Quoting "Shaenon K. Garrity" <shaenon@...>:

                                  > Cars are never easy to draw! I suck at it. At the moment I'm working under
                                  > the principle that, since the cars I draw turn out looking ugly,
                                  > I should choose ugly cars from the start and maybe they'll turn out
                                  > looking right.
                                  >
                                  > Sarge
                                • Shaenon K. Garrity
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 25, 2002
                                    > You want ugly, you should draw an SUV.

                                    Now, now. My characters are evil, but they're not *monsters*.

                                    Sarge
                                  • Joseph Prisco
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Oct 25, 2002
                                      On Friday, October 25, 2002, at 03:34 PM, Shaenon K. Garrity wrote:

                                      >> You want ugly, you should draw an SUV.
                                      >
                                      > Now, now. My characters are evil, but they're not *monsters*.

                                      Hee! More Pocky for Sarge!

                                      =====
                                      -><- Pope Zaphod I - aka Joseph Prisco -><-
                                      mailto:popezaphod@... http://popezaphod.dyndns.org
                                      Poor little clams! Snap! Snap! Snap! - <http://www.xenu.net/>
                                    • Robert McCarthy
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Oct 25, 2002
                                        --- "Shaenon K. Garrity" <shaenon@...> wrote:

                                        > > You want ugly, you should draw an SUV.
                                        >

                                        > Now, now. My characters are evil, but they're not
                                        > *monsters*.
                                        >
                                        > Sarge

                                        Hey about a year ago dick Tracy had a guy named Mister
                                        olly steal all the gasaline the city by smugling it
                                        out in SUV TANKS Maybe you could have a dick tracy
                                        crossov..hey put down that knife!

                                        http://webhosting.yahoo.com/