Innercity Streets?

  • crazyuncledave
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 18, 2002
      Excuse me? I work for the MBTA! We do MASS TRANSIT! You know,
      busses, subways, commuter rail, high-speed catamarans. Expressways?
      Sideroads? That's not me! That's not even the office down the hall,
      it's not even the next floor down, it's like 8 blocks away! I'm in
      operations, not pavement!

      Oh, never mind. I'm not totally clear, what did they end up choosing?
      Am I that big roadway title, or "Helen's Nemesis Dave Barker," or
      just "Nemesis" or "Susan" or what?

      I'm just glad it was James that submitted Tax-Fattened Hyena, and not
      my girlfriend's mom again.

      -____ dave barker

      PS: Oh, hell. Helen chose that one because she KNEW i'd react like
      this, didn't she?
    • Alex McIver
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 18, 2002
        >Excuse me? I work for the MBTA! We do MASS TRANSIT! You know,
        >busses, subways, commuter rail, high-speed catamarans. Expressways?
        >Sideroads? That's not me! That's not even the office down the hall,
        >it's not even the next floor down, it's like 8 blocks away! I'm in
        >operations, not pavement!

        I think someone caring enough to remember that you now work in some sort of
        transporty office thing is good enough :) ... I cant get busses and subways
        to spell nemesis.. has anyone else tried it yet?

        have fun
        -Alex

      • Sheherazahde
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 18, 2002
          --- crazyuncledave <Cr@...> wrote:
          > Excuse me? I work for the MBTA! We do MASS TRANSIT! You know,
          > busses, subways, commuter rail, high-speed catamarans. Expressways?
          > Sideroads? That's not me! That's not even the office down the hall,
          > it's not even the next floor down, it's like 8 blocks away! I'm in
          > operations, not pavement!
          >
          > Oh, never mind. I'm not totally clear, what did they end up choosing?
          > Am I that big roadway title, or "Helen's Nemesis Dave Barker," or
          > just "Nemesis" or "Susan" or what?
          > -____ dave barker
          >
          > PS: Oh, hell. Helen chose that one because she KNEW i'd react like
          > this, didn't she?

          I believe the joke here is that it is Helen's N.E.M.E.S.I.S. (Newly Educated Master
          of Expressways, Sideroads & Innercity Streets) Dave Barker. If you could come up
          with a correct description that would fit into the Acronym N.E.M.E.S.I.S. you might
          have a chance.

          =====
          Namaste, Sheherazahde (Zahd�)
          http://www.geocities.com/sheherazahde/

          "I happen to practice Wicca competitively. I commune with nature better than anyone in my weight class!"
          - Diesel Sweeties by R. Stevens
          http://www.dieselsweeties.com/archive.php?s=436

          HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
          http://www.hotjobs.com
        • ewells@telerama.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 18, 2002
            Newly Educated Master of Expressbus Schedule Interruptions & Slowdowns

            Ed Wells

            Quoting Alex McIver <thealxcity@...>:

            > >Excuse me? I work for the MBTA! We do MASS TRANSIT! You know,
            > >busses, subways, commuter rail, high-speed catamarans. Expressways?
            > >Sideroads? That's not me! That's not even the office down the hall,
            > >it's not even the next floor down, it's like 8 blocks away! I'm in
            > >operations, not pavement!

            ... I cant get busses and subways to spell nemesis.. has anyone else tried it
            yet?
          • Shaenon K. Garrity
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 19, 2002
              Dave:

              I draw these things solely to torment and annoy you.

              But you knew that.

              Sarge

              > Excuse me? I work for the MBTA! We do MASS TRANSIT! You know,
              > busses, subways, commuter rail, high-speed catamarans. Expressways?
              > Sideroads? That's not me! That's not even the office down the hall,
              > it's not even the next floor down, it's like 8 blocks away! I'm in
              > operations, not pavement!
              >
              > Oh, never mind. I'm not totally clear, what did they end up choosing?
              > Am I that big roadway title, or "Helen's Nemesis Dave Barker," or
              > just "Nemesis" or "Susan" or what?
              >
              > I'm just glad it was James that submitted Tax-Fattened Hyena, and not
              > my girlfriend's mom again.
              >
              > -____ dave barker
              >
              > PS: Oh, hell. Helen chose that one because she KNEW i'd react like
              > this, didn't she?

            • wolfmanjim
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 19, 2002
                --- In narbonic@y..., "crazyuncledave" <Cr@z...> wrote:

                > I'm just glad it was James that submitted Tax-Fattened Hyena, and
                not
                > my girlfriend's mom again.

                Just another Howie Carr fan here. Just be glad you're not with the
                Big Dig!

                (And darn it, I shoulda reffed Charlie!)
              • Jeffrey Wells
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 21, 2002
                  What is it with Seth and eating things? The first and most typically
                  rational conclusion that one draws when the GM informs Dave that his Pooka
                  was eaten is that it was done _in the game_, but... well... Seth has
                  inexplicably consumed Dave's stuff before...
                • Metal Fatigue
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 21, 2002

                    JW> The first and most typically rational conclusion that one draws
                    JW> when the GM informs Dave that his Pooka was eaten is that it was
                    JW> done _in the game_,

                    The guys are evidently playing _Changeling,_ by White Wolf Game
                    Studio. One type of character in this game (redcaps) has the mystic
                    ability to devour anything.

                    L> Pooka? What's a Pooka? As far as I seem to be able to tell, it's a
                    L> kind of horse.

                    In _Changeling_, a pooka is a magical being which can shapeshift into
                    the form of an animal. Presumably Dave's character is, or rather was,
                    a pooka.

                    (I would have thought Dave would play a nocker, not a pooka, but I
                    suppose that would be too much like work. Maybe a troll?)

                    --
                    Seth Blumberg, a.k.a. Metal Fatigue, a.k.a. Nodens <sethb@...> O-
                    - -- --- ----- -------- ------------- -------- ----- --- -- -
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 21, 2002
                      For the record, they're playing a Changeling/Vampire cross.

                      I have to go kill myself now, for the good of humanity.

                      And, yes, Dave's character in the game was a pooka, evidently in some kind
                      of animal shape, and while he was gone his fellow players killed and ate it.
                      Because they're jerks.

                      Sarge

                      > JW> The first and most typically rational conclusion that one draws
                      > JW> when the GM informs Dave that his Pooka was eaten is that it was
                      > JW> done _in the game_,
                      >
                      > The guys are evidently playing _Changeling,_ by White Wolf Game
                      > Studio. One type of character in this game (redcaps) has the mystic
                      > ability to devour anything.
                      >
                      > L> Pooka? What's a Pooka? As far as I seem to be able to tell, it's a
                      > L> kind of horse.
                      >
                      > In _Changeling_, a pooka is a magical being which can shapeshift into
                      > the form of an animal. Presumably Dave's character is, or rather was,
                      > a pooka.
                      >
                      > (I would have thought Dave would play a nocker, not a pooka, but I
                      > suppose that would be too much like work. Maybe a troll?)
                      >
                      > --
                      > Seth Blumberg, a.k.a. Metal Fatigue, a.k.a. Nodens <sethb@...> O-
                      > - -- --- ----- -------- ------------- -------- ----- --- -- -
                      > "The bridge is out in Hell. Even if you have coins on your eyes,
                      > there's no ferryman. And there's nothing to do there anyways.
                      > A cider mill might be a better choice." -- kbecker@...

                    • Jennifer Boggess Ramon
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 21, 2002
                        At 12:44 PM -0700 8/21/02, Shaenon K. Garrity wrote:
                        > For the record, they're playing a Changeling/Vampire cross.

                        WooHoo! (said the Daughter of Ether . . .)

                        --
                        - Boggles, aka J. C. B. Ramon boggles@...
                        === Personal Growth Geek Code v0.4 ===
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 22, 2002
                          --- In narbonic@y..., "Shaenon K. Garrity" <shaenon@v...> wrote:

                          > For the record, they're playing a Changeling/Vampire cross.

                          That's what I figured. It just doesn't jive with me somehow. They
                          seem such hardcore anal gamers that I'm surprised to see them
                          touching a White Wolf game. They look more like Gurps or Champions
                          sorts of guys. If they were older, they could pass for D&D 1e
                          fanatics.

                          Stan
                        • Prodigal
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 22, 2002
                            From: "set_ms" <setaylor@...>

                            > That's what I figured. It just doesn't jive with me somehow. They
                            > seem such hardcore anal gamers that I'm surprised to see them
                            > touching a White Wolf game.

                            I know plenty of hardcore anal gamers who only play White Wolf.
                          • Shaenon K. Garrity
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 22, 2002
                              >> For the record, they're playing a Changeling/Vampire cross.
                              >>
                              > That's what I figured. It just doesn't jive with me somehow. They
                              > seem such hardcore anal gamers that I'm surprised to see them
                              > touching a White Wolf game. They look more like Gurps or Champions
                              > sorts of guys. If they were older, they could pass for D&D 1e
                              > fanatics.

                              The situation is obvious. They all really wanted to play Changeling and
                              be cute little fairies and pookas; unable to admit this to each other, they
                              butched it up by adding vampires. It was the best they could do under the
                              circumstances. Also, knowing your White Wolf games helps you meet goth
                              chicks.

                              I think I'll put them on a GURPS campaign later on, when they're done with
                              the current one. Not that the nature of the game they're playing is ever
                              anything more than incidental.

                              Sarge
                            • Metal Fatigue
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 22, 2002

                                SKG> The situation is obvious. They all really wanted to play
                                SKG> Changeling and be cute little fairies and pookas; unable to admit
                                SKG> this to each other, they butched it up by adding vampires. It
                                SKG> was the best they could do under the circumstances.

                                *snurf* I can just imagine that.

                                You know, it's really embarrassing to have the creepiest, most
                                annoying guy in the gaming group share my name.

                                --
                                Seth Blumberg, a.k.a. Metal Fatigue, a.k.a. Nodens <sethb@...> O-
                                - -- --- ----- -------- ------------- -------- ----- --- -- -
                                "Anything a .460 Weatherby Express can't deal with is probably best
                                addressed by a shaped-charge round anyway." -- Crash <wsy@...>
                              • Shaenon K. Garrity
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 22, 2002
                                  > *snurf* I can just imagine that.
                                  >
                                  > You know, it's really embarrassing to have the creepiest, most
                                  > annoying guy in the gaming group share my name.

                                  Think of how the guy I named him after must feel.

                                  Sarge
                                • Prodigal
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 22, 2002
                                    From: "Shaenon K. Garrity" <shaenon@...>

                                    > Think of how the guy I named him after must feel.

                                    Serves him right for all the character sheets he's eaten, says I.
                                  • Dennis Bergendorf
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 22, 2002
                                      "Shaenon K. Garrity" wrote:

                                      > >> For the record, they're playing a Changeling/Vampire cross.
                                      > >>
                                      > > That's what I figured. It just doesn't jive with me somehow. They
                                      > > seem such hardcore anal gamers that I'm surprised to see them
                                      > > touching a White Wolf game. They look more like Gurps or Champions
                                      > > sorts of guys. If they were older, they could pass for D&D 1e
                                      > > fanatics.
                                      >
                                      > The situation is obvious. They all really wanted to play Changeling
                                      > and
                                      > be cute little fairies and pookas; unable to admit this to each other,
                                      > they
                                      > butched it up by adding vampires. It was the best they could do under
                                      > the
                                      > circumstances. Also, knowing your White Wolf games helps you meet
                                      > goth
                                      > chicks.

                                      What? Really? Where was this game company before I met my wife?

                                      > I think I'll put them on a GURPS campaign later on, when they're
                                      > done with
                                      > the current one. Not that the nature of the game they're playing is
                                      > ever
                                      > anything more than incidental.

                                      So, are they strictly RPG, or will they once in a while dabble in Star
                                      Fleet Battles?

                                    • Dennis Bergendorf
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 22, 2002
                                        Metal Fatigue wrote:

                                        > You know, it's really embarrassing to have the creepiest, most
                                        > annoying guy in the gaming group share my name.
                                        >
                                        > --
                                        > Seth Blumberg, a.k.a. Metal Fatigue, a.k.a. Nodens <sethb@...>
                                        > O-

                                        Nobody would have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it... well, well,
                                        well... what can we do with this?

                                      • Jennifer Boggess Ramon
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 22, 2002
                                          At 2:39 PM +0000 8/22/02, set_ms wrote:

                                          >That's what I figured. It just doesn't jive with me somehow. They
                                          >seem such hardcore anal gamers that I'm surprised to see them
                                          >touching a White Wolf game. They look more like Gurps or Champions
                                          >sorts of guys. If they were older, they could pass for D&D 1e
                                          >fanatics.

                                          How dare you mention GURPS and Champions in the same breath! As a
                                          mad GURPShead I take great offense . . .

                                          . . . Especially as GURPS licensed the first three entries in the
                                          White Wolf World of Darkness series for a while. Who's to say these
                                          guys haven't cooked up their own GURPS homebrew rules for Changeling
                                          and Wraith as well?

                                          (Yes, I own _GURPS Mage_, and yes, it's ridiculous.)

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Aug 22, 2002
                                            --- In narbonic@y..., Dennis Bergendorf <dennisb@w...> wrote:
                                            > So, are they strictly RPG, or will they once in a while dabble in Star
                                            > Fleet Battles?

                                            Other than Dave, they haven't proved to be smart enough, but it's
                                            possible. Though I bet that they have their own baroque house rules
                                            for Risk.

                                            Stan
                                          • Joseph Prisco
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Aug 22, 2002
                                              On Thursday, Aug 22, 2002, at 20:41 America/New_York, Jennifer Boggess
                                              Ramon wrote:

                                              > How dare you mention GURPS and Champions in the same breath! As a
                                              > mad GURPShead I take great offense . . .

                                              What's wrong with Champions? I loved that game in college! I still
                                              remember my favorite character: Mrs. Smith, Octogenarian! An
                                              82-year-old lady who could throw energy bombs of mass destruction!

                                              =====
                                              -><- Pope Zaphod I - aka Joseph Prisco -><-
                                              mailto:popezaphod@... http://popezaphod.dyndns.org
                                              "They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
                                              safety deserve neither liberty or safety." - Ben Franklin