Re: [narbonic] Very Small Writing (Read Wed. 4/25 strip first)

  • Shaenon K. Garrity
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 26, 2001
      ----------
      >From: "Kevin Mowery" <kemowery@...>
      >To: <narbonic@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: Re: [narbonic] Very Small Writing (Read Wed. 4/25 strip first)
      >Date: Wed, Apr 25, 2001, 6:51 PM
      >

      > Well, Malology obviously has the same root as "malign" and
      > "malfeasance." Malology would be the study of evil or badness.
      >
      > Meniagnosis . . . "gnosis," IIRC, is "knowledge." Menia, though, I
      > don't know about.

      Well, since y'all asked...

      Malology = "bad study" or "evil study".

      Maniagnosis = "insane knowledge". The pseudo-Latinate term for mad
      science.

      Both _The New Journal of Malology_ and _Maniagnosis_ are respected
      journals in the evil scientific community. The _Journal of Malology_ became
      the _New Journal of Malology_ when the editorial staff was devoured by
      plague-bearing zombies, which then became the new editors. (See Narbon,
      H.B., "Effects of Systematically Tearing Limbs Off the Rotting Carcasses of
      _New Journal of Malology_ Editors, With a Detailed Explanation as to Why
      This Is a Very Bad Idea", _Transthanatology Today_, Vol. 33.6, pp. 47-60.)

      Basically, I made up mad-science terminology in bad Latin a while ago, and
      I'm trying to find a use for it. Cartoonists have no life.

      Sarge
    • Cheshire Cat
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 26, 2001
        On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Shaenon K. Garrity wrote:

        > Cartoonists have no life.

        See: aforementioned zombies.
        <grins>
        -John W. Weiss
        |Duane D-132 | Dept. of Astrophysics and Planetary Science/LASP|
        |(303)-492-3617 | University of Colorado, Boulder |
        |weissj@... | http://bogart.colorado.edu/~weissj/cyrano.html |
        Epur, si move
        (And yet, it does move)
        - Galileo Galilei, likely apocryphal
      • Tom Morris
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 26, 2001
          But indeed we do. We live a wonderful life of ever-enjoyable and blissful, not
          to mention hilarious, imagination. Few people in the world who are not
          cartoonists can just take anything - a wierd day at work, an ambiguous test
          question from a first-hour Economics test, a toilet demon, whatever.... and say
          to themselves, "hey, this could make a really funny comic".

          I find my best ideas usually come to mind while I'm loading the dishwasher. It
          makes it a heck of a lot more interesting.

          >... Cartoonists have no life.
          >
          > Sarge

          =====
          Tom Morris