Angry Rejoinder...

  • Tim Rodriguez
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 17, 2001
      I am intensely upset right now... Dave is Evil, and I can accept that, but
      being a dot-com-dork myself, who was recently laid off in a large round of
      cutbacks, I have taken great offense at today's strip.

      I now swear this oath with all who are on this list as witnesses:

      Dave Davenport, I will hunt you down
      Dave Davenport, I will destroy you
      Unless you can score me a job at Narbonics Labs
      I will have your scalp, your wallet,
      And anything else worth depriving you of.
      You are Evil, and I can accept that
      But I have been targetted now
      I have no more stock options
      And you mock me.
      Thou shalt be mine to destroy.

      So there.

      -TR
    • Cheshire Cat
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 17, 2001
        On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Tim Rodriguez wrote:

        > Dave Davenport, I will hunt you down
        > Dave Davenport, I will destroy you
        > Unless you can score me a job at Narbonics Labs
        > I will have your scalp, your wallet,
        > And anything else worth depriving you of.
        > You are Evil, and I can accept that
        > But I have been targetted now
        > I have no more stock options
        > And you mock me.
        > Thou shalt be mine to destroy.

        Dude, while you're at it, you could try to get Dave to score you a
        date with Mel... I mean, if you're going to make a blood oath of it, go
        all the way.

        -John W. Weiss
        |Duane D-132 | Dept. of Astrophysics and Planetary Science/LASP|
        |(303)-492-3617 | University of Colorado, Boulder |
        |weissj@... | http://bogart.colorado.edu/~weissj/cyrano.html |
        "I know that I am mortal and the creature of a day; but when I search out the
        massed wheeling circles of the stars, my feet no longer touch the earth, but,
        side by side with Zeus himself, I take my fill of ambrosia, the food of the
        gods."
        Ptolemy
      • Tom Morris
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 17, 2001
          I think Dave and the Narbonics Labs crew ought to write their own operating
          system. It would be... the operating system of EVIL! Everyone would switch over
          to using it because it's got such shiny vaporware-esque features, and then,
          through a little-known quirk in the software, Helen could use it to implant
          subliminal messages in the minds of users worldwide and someohow use it to seek
          world domination! ... Until Artie gets her root password or something.

          --- Graham Gelling <gelling@...> wrote:

          > Winux 2004 will rule us as an overlord and we shall be better for it ;)
          >

          > On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Chris Campbell wrote:
          >
          > > At 08:04 AM 4/16/01 -0700, you wrote:
          > >
          > > >Oh dear.
          > > >
          > > > It looks like the Platform Wars have escalated,
          > > >jumping from the jungles of USENET to the streets of
          > > >San Francisco. Granted that San Francisco is known for
          > > >excessive numbers of computer types AND kooky
          > > >religions, but Linux street graffiti seems a bit
          > > >excessive. (Besides, I thought that Kibo had finally
          > > >driven out all the other kooky 'net-based religions)
          > >
          > > Yeah, but don't worry -- in a couple of years, Winux will fix everything.
          > :-)
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          > > www.debticated.com
          > > width

          =====
          Tom Morris
          kg4cyx@...
          homepage - http://onyx.mythic.org
          Blue Neon - a wonderfully messed up online comic - http://blueneon.keenspace.com

          http://auctions.yahoo.com/
        • Shaenon K. Garrity
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 17, 2001
            Better hurry... somebody may beat you to it in the next few weeks.

            Sarge

          • jawolf36@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 17, 2001
              --- In narbonic@y..., Tim Rodriguez <dragon@f...> wrote:
              > I am intensely upset right now... Dave is Evil, and I can accept
              that, but
              > being a dot-com-dork myself, who was recently laid off in a large
              round of
              > cutbacks, I have taken great offense at today's strip.

              I'm with you. This one has hit too close to home Dave, unless you
              get me a job, you shall die like King Edward the second of England
              did!
            • LinnaLaure@aol.com
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 17, 2001
                I'm with you, Tim! This one hit extremely close to home to me too, as Dave
                had the bad taste to taunt on the very day that I lost my job.

                Last night I was employed.
                This morning I am not.
                Is Sarge psychic?

                - Lisa, sudden exdotcommie.

                Tim writes:

                > I am intensely upset right now... Dave is Evil, and I can accept that, but
                > being a dot-com-dork myself, who was recently laid off in a large round of
                > cutbacks, I have taken great offense at today's strip.
                >
                > I now swear this oath with all who are on this list as witnesses:
                >
                > Dave Davenport, I will hunt you down
                > Dave Davenport, I will destroy you
                > Unless you can score me a job at Narbonics Labs
                > I will have your scalp, your wallet,
                > And anything else worth depriving you of.
                > You are Evil, and I can accept that
                > But I have been targetted now
                > I have no more stock options
                > And you mock me.
                > Thou shalt be mine to destroy.

              • Rahadyan Sastrowardoyo
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 17, 2001
                  At 11:33 PM 4/17/2001 +0000, also sprach thou:

                  >I'm with you. This one has hit too close to home Dave, unless you
                  >get me a job, you shall die like King Edward the second of England
                  >did!

                  Eeek! That'll leave a scar... Talk about a bad hand at poker (pun intended)....

                  Rahadyan
                • Megan Brett
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 17, 2001
                    *hugs to every ex-dotcommer from the little sister of one*

                    hope things start looking up for y'all soon!!!

                    -megs

                    >I'm with you, Tim! This one hit extremely close to home to me too, as Dave
                    >had the bad taste to taunt on the very day that I lost my job.
                    >
                    >Last night I was employed.
                    >This morning I am not.
                    >Is Sarge psychic?
                    >
                    >- Lisa, sudden exdotcommie.
                    >

                    >Tim writes:
                    >
                    >> I am intensely upset right now... Dave is Evil, and I can accept that, but
                    >> being a dot-com-dork myself, who was recently laid off in a large round of
                    >> cutbacks, I have taken great offense at today's strip.
                    >>
                    >> I now swear this oath with all who are on this list as witnesses:
                    >>
                    >> Dave Davenport, I will hunt you down
                    >> Dave Davenport, I will destroy you
                    >> Unless you can score me a job at Narbonics Labs
                    >> I will have your scalp, your wallet,
                    >> And anything else worth depriving you of.
                    >> You are Evil, and I can accept that
                    >> But I have been targetted now
                    >> I have no more stock options
                    >> And you mock me.
                    >> Thou shalt be mine to destroy.

                    "This is the land of despair and poetry but there is nobody to sing."
                    --Teyeb Salih, _Season of Migration to the North_

                    " 'Nothing strikes me as truly weird,' Jilly told him. 'There's only stuff
                    I haven't figured out yet.'"
                    -Charles DeLint, "Crow Girls"
                  • Tim Rodriguez
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 17, 2001
                      Jeez jawolf...

                      I'm upset, but that's kinda harsh...

                      But I haven't thought of something better yet -- so it may have to happen
                      anyway.

                      -TR

                      >> --- In narbonic@y..., Tim Rodriguez <dragon@f...> wrote: I am intensely upset
                      >> right now... Dave is Evil, and I can accept that, but being a dot-com-dork
                      >> myself, who was recently laid off in a large round of cutbacks, I have taken
                      >> great offense at today's strip.
                      >
                      > I'm with you. This one has hit too close to home Dave, unless you
                      > get me a job, you shall die like King Edward the second of England
                      > did!

                    • Bill Livingston
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 17, 2001
                        > It looks like the Platform Wars have escalated,
                        >jumping from the jungles of USENET to the streets of
                        >San Francisco.

                        Karl Malden and Michael Douglas will be riding around, chasing down rogue
                        operating systems? I'd watch that.

                        Bill L.
                        Snipping for context since 1995
                      • Matthew Blackwell
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 17, 2001
                          At 11:25 PM 4/17/01 -0500, you wrote:
                          >> It looks like the Platform Wars have escalated,
                          >>jumping from the jungles of USENET to the streets of
                          >>San Francisco.
                          >
                          >Karl Malden and Michael Douglas will be riding around, chasing down rogue
                          >operating systems? I'd watch that.
                          >
                          >Bill L.
                          >Snipping for context since 1995

                          Pshaw. I can beat that.

                          Early in the 21st Century, THE MICROSOFT
                          CORPORATION advanced OS evolution
                          into the NEXUS phase - a OS as intelligent
                          as a human - known as a Replicant

                          The NEXUS 6 Replicants were at least equal
                          in intelligence, to the computer programmers
                          who created them. (Which really isn't saying
                          much.)

                          Replicants were used as slave labor, in the
                          creation of MP3 files, the creation of mind-
                          numbing spreadsheets, and the playing
                          of endless games of Free Cell.

                          After a bloody mutiny by a NEXUS 6
                          LAN in San Dimas, CA, Replicants were
                          declared illegal on earth - under penalty
                          of deletion.

                          Special police squads had orders to reformat,
                          upon detection, any trespassing Replicant's
                          hard drive.

                          This was not called execution.
                          It was called an opportunity to upgrade.

                          Narbonic presents:

                          DAVE RUNNER

                          * * * * * * * * *
                          HOLDEN
                          You're walking in the desert. You look down and see
                          a tortise. He's playing Free Cell. You begin to move
                          cards. You're not helping. Why is that?

                          BeOS
                          What do you mean I'm not helping?

                          HOLDEN
                          Describe, in single words, all the good things
                          that come to mind about your user.

                          BeOS
                          You want to know about my user? Let me tell you
                          about my user...

                          * * * * * * * * *

                          BLIMP TRACK
                          A NEW LIFE AWAITS YOU IN THE LINUX COLONIES!
                          THE CHANCE TO BEGIN AGAIN IN A GOLDEN LAND
                          OF FRESH CODING SYSTEMS! OPEN SOURCE!
                          EASILY CUSTOMIZABLE....

                          * * * * * * * * *

                          DAVENPORT
                          Replicants are like any other
                          machine. They can be a benefit
                          or a hazard. If it's a benefit,
                          it's not my problem.

                          MELL
                          May I ask a personal question?

                          DAVENPORT
                          Go ahead.

                          MELL
                          Have you ever reformatted a human by
                          mistake ?

                          Davenport blinks... hesitates before answering the
                          question.

                          DAVENPORT
                          Just Regis Philbin. When I found out, I
                          quickly wrote him a program that made him
                          say either "Wow!" "Really?" or "It that
                          you final answer?" whenever anyone
                          talked to him. So far, no one's noticed.

                          * * * * * * * * *

                          DAVENPORT
                          She really doesn't know ?

                          NARBONIC
                          She's beginning to suspect, I think.

                          DAVENPORT
                          Suspect! How can she not know
                          she is.

                          NARBONIC
                          Well, we began to notice in them
                          a strange obsession. In Mell's case,
                          she keeps wanting to play Quake.

                          DAVENPORT
                          That doesn't sound too bad.

                          NARBONIC
                          She's been using real ammo. We lost
                          half the marketing staff earlier
                          this week. She thought they were bots.

                          * * * * * * * * *

                          MAC
                          I've seen things...
                          (long pause)
                          seen things you little people
                          wouldn't believe... bug-free programs
                          that were user friendly... I surfed
                          the web and found web sites with rich
                          content that glittered in the dark
                          near the Geocities sector... I even
                          found a decent script for a movie
                          starring Tom Green.
                          (pause)
                          all those things... they'll be gone.

                          DAVENPORT
                          I watched him die all night. And he
                          fought even up to the end. As as he
                          lay there, clicking away his final CPU
                          cycles, I could only think, "If only
                          he had a floppy drive..."

                          Nyah, Bill.

                          Matt
                        • jawolf36@hotmail.com
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 18, 2001
                            --- In narbonic@y..., "Jude McLaughlin" <dziwozony@y...> wrote:
                            > --- In narbonic@y..., Dave Barker <dpb@M...> wrote:
                            > > Before we start shouting "viva la revolution," let's keep in mind
                            > > that this is an IBM ad campaign.
                            >
                            > Ahhhh... soooooo.... *where* did the "Peace - Love - Linux"
                            stencils
                            > on the sidewalks of Central Square come from... MIT Dave???

                            And the three on the corner of Temple Place and Washington street in
                            Boston?

                            I was walking to South Station and not the Combat Zone, you wiseguys!
                          • Bill Livingston
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 18, 2001
                              >>> It looks like the Platform Wars have escalated,
                              >>>jumping from the jungles of USENET to the streets of
                              >>>San Francisco.
                              >>
                              >>Karl Malden and Michael Douglas will be riding around, chasing down rogue
                              >>operating systems? I'd watch that.
                              >>
                              >>Bill L.
                              >>Snipping for context since 1995
                              >
                              >Pshaw. I can beat that.
                              >

                              > Early in the 21st Century, THE MICROSOFT
                              > CORPORATION advanced OS evolution
                              > into the NEXUS phase - a OS as intelligent
                              > as a human - known as a Replicant
                              >
                              > The NEXUS 6 Replicants were at least equal
                              > in intelligence, to the computer programmers
                              > who created them. (Which really isn't saying
                              > much.)
                              >
                              > Replicants were used as slave labor, in the
                              > creation of MP3 files, the creation of mind-
                              > numbing spreadsheets, and the playing
                              > of endless games of Free Cell.
                              >
                              > After a bloody mutiny by a NEXUS 6
                              > LAN in San Dimas, CA, Replicants were
                              > declared illegal on earth - under penalty
                              > of deletion.
                              >
                              > Special police squads had orders to reformat,
                              > upon detection, any trespassing Replicant's
                              > hard drive.
                              >
                              > This was not called execution.
                              > It was called an opportunity to upgrade.
                              >
                              > Narbonic presents:
                              >
                              > DAVE RUNNER

                              [snip very funny parody]

                              Curse you, Matt Blackwell! You've outdone me again!

                              Bill L.
                              Will Sean Young be playing Mel in the movie?
                            • Matthew Blackwell
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 18, 2001
                                At 10:34 PM 4/18/01 -0500, you wrote:

                                >>>Karl Malden and Michael Douglas will be riding around, chasing down rogue
                                >>>operating systems? I'd watch that.
                                >>>
                                >>>Bill L.
                                >>>Snipping for context since 1995
                                >>
                                >>Pshaw. I can beat that.
                                >>

                                >> Early in the 21st Century, THE MICROSOFT
                                >> CORPORATION advanced OS evolution
                                >> into the NEXUS phase - a OS as intelligent
                                >> as a human - known as a Replicant
                                >>
                                >> The NEXUS 6 Replicants were at least equal
                                >> in intelligence, to the computer programmers
                                >> who created them. (Which really isn't saying
                                >> much.)
                                >>
                                >> Replicants were used as slave labor, in the
                                >> creation of MP3 files, the creation of mind-
                                >> numbing spreadsheets, and the playing
                                >> of endless games of Free Cell.
                                >>
                                >> After a bloody mutiny by a NEXUS 6
                                >> LAN in San Dimas, CA, Replicants were
                                >> declared illegal on earth - under penalty
                                >> of deletion.
                                >>
                                >> Special police squads had orders to reformat,
                                >> upon detection, any trespassing Replicant's
                                >> hard drive.
                                >>
                                >> This was not called execution.
                                >> It was called an opportunity to upgrade.
                                >>
                                >> Narbonic presents:
                                >>
                                >> DAVE RUNNER
                                >
                                >[snip very funny parody]
                                >
                                >Curse you, Matt Blackwell! You've outdone me again!

                                Of course! I even sent Pete two Hannigans for his birthday! Bwah-ha-ha!!!!

                                >Bill L.
                                >Will Sean Young be playing Mel in the movie?

                                Hell, knowing Sean Young, she's probably playing Mell in day to day life.

                                Matt-
                                "Double bag my groceries or I start tossing grenades!"
                                "Yes, Ms. Young. Security to Aisle 5. Bring the sedatives."
                              • Paul I. Ewenstein
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 19, 2001
                                  No, Val Kilmer will play Mel, as per her request.

                                  Paul Ewenstein
                                  "Never let your sense of morals stop you from doing what is right."

                                • Jim Maiwurm
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 20, 2001
                                    There's a story on CNN.com today about IBM's
                                    "Peace, Love, Linux" campaign. Seems the San Francisco
                                    city government is less than thrilled about corporate
                                    graffiti.

                                    http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/industry/04/19/ibm.guerilla.idg/index.html?s=8

                                    What comes next? Will Microsoft respond with a "War,
                                    Hate, Wintel" campaign?

                                    -Jim

                                    http://auctions.yahoo.com/