Jon Kennedy's update from Northern Ireland

    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 8, 2013
      Jon Kennedy's 'Postcards from
      his soj
      ourn in Northern Ireland'

      A new stab at diary keeping

      JONAL ENTRY 1302 | AUGUST 8 2013

      I think that in view of the present distress it is well for a person to remain as he is. Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to be free. Are you free from a wife? Do not seek marriage.

      — from Paul's First Epistle to the
      Corinthians chapter 7, from today's
      Orthodox lectionary readings
      See the homelitical thought below.

      Diary: I've been missing reporting on so many details of my life here that I decided yesterday to start a rudimentary real diary (opposed to the entries here that I've been labeling "Diary" but which lack most of the details of my days). . . .

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 10, 2013
        Jon Kennedy's 'Postcards from
        his soj
        ourn in Northern Ireland'

        Life is a riot
        JONAL ENTRY 1303 | AUGUST 10 2013

        Do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may prove what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
        — from Paul's Epistle to the
        Romans chapter 12, from today's
        Orthodox lectionary readings
        See the homiletical thought below.
        Diary: Updates from the past three days

        Thursday, August 8

        No tea time this morning, so I went to Cafe Wah to do a blog entry, which became the day's main accomplishment. . . .

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 19, 2013
          Jon Kennedy's 'Postcards from
          his soj
          ourn in Northern Ireland'

          Highlights of last week
          JONAL ENTRY 1304 | AUGUST 19 2013

          "Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me; but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened round his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea. Woe to the world for temptations to sin! For it is necessary that temptations come, but woe to the man by whom the temptation comes!"

          — from the Gospel of
          Matthew chapter 18, from today's
          Orthodox lectionary readings
          See the homiletical thought below.

          Diary: A recap of most of last week

          This time I'll recap much of a typical week's routine, but will try to avoid being so repetitive and giving so much detail of the minutiae in future diary posts.

          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 5, 2013
            Jon Kennedy's 'Postcards from
            his soj
            ourn in Northern Ireland'

            Cookstown, because it's there
            JONAL ENTRY 13066 | SEPTEMBER 5 2013

            . . . We have renounced disgraceful, underhanded ways; we refuse to practice cunning or to tamper with God's word, but by the open statement of truth we commend ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.

            — from Paul's Second Epistle to the
            Church in Corinth, chapter 4, from today's
            Orthodox lectionary readings
            See the homiletical thought below.

            Diary: An even less real castle, in the woods

            September 4  Wednesday, writing on a bus from Europa Bus Center to Dungannon, en route to Cookstown. Cookstown is one of the largest towns in Ulster that I have not visited, so that is why that's where I'm bound today.

            Marda and Ward are expecting visitors from the United States today, to be in Ireland till Monday. Marda will take them north tomorrow for some touring; since there are four of them that's a car full so Ward will stay home, in the aegis of Derek.

            Today is mostly sunny; thus far, September has been better than August was.

            Now writing from Dungannon, while waiting for the bus to Cookstown.

            John Grant, "the Kiwi," blew back into Belfast last week and stayed with us most of the time. He has spent a year bicycling all over Ireland and, at 62, he has the physique of a 30-year old. I spent Monday afternoon with him; he's a great friend of all. He left yesterday with a friend from near Sligo, and will fly out of Dublin back to New Zealand on Sunday, so we don't expect to see him again on this trip and of course when a trip is that long, we wonder if he'll ever make it this way again.

            We got to talking about snakes, and he informed me that like Ireland, New Zealand has no snakes, in contrast to its bigger neighbor, Australia, which has many species, including some of the world's most venomous. I never had interest in visiting New Zealand, but now I'm more interested.

            Cookstown is spread out, boasts the widest and longest main boulevard in Ireland, and I walked most of the length of it and on out into the countryside to walk the footpath to the "Cabin Wood," a trail reminiscent of the Ghost Town Trail outside my home town of Nanty Glo, PA, toward Twin Rocks, with a small river on the left. I saw no cabin along the path, but there was a castle on the hill across the river from the path, though getting to a place where it could be photographed took some doing.

            Above is a picture of the main street (the name of which is several different things along its length, none of them "Main Street"). And below is the best photo I got of the castle: It does not have an ancient history as a castle-fort, as "authentic" or "historic" castles do, being only about two centuries old and still lived-in by a family who acquired it in the early 20th century for £100.

            I waited to get to Cookstown before having lunch, and that was a good move, as I found a "carvery-pub" that had three-course lunches for £5. Here's what I had: meat, potatoes, and assorted vegetables, all tasty and of good quality; classical Irish fare but seldom found (at least on my budget) in Belfast.

            The most interesting buildings in town were three churches along the main boulevard: The Methodist Church, below left, which looks historic but is described in an account of Cookstown only as "Romanesque" in its architectural style. Likewise, the Roman Catholic Church, Holy Trinity, below right, is of 19th-century construction.

            And so is St. Lurgan's Church of Ireland, below.

            § I have now uploaded over 1,000 photos, mostly from my current visit to Northern Ireland, but also including several hundred photos from my summer in Pennsylvania (2012), and some photos of the family, on my Flickr site. Though not individually labeled, most of these are now organized by sets. If you're interested, click here for the Flicker site.
            For more and more spontaneous posts, follow me onand. Google+ is much easier to understand, so most of the pictures I post are posted there.

            Feedback: You can comment on today's topic on the page linked here:

            Feedback is always welcome.

            Homiletical thought: Paul reminds the Corinthians, and us, of some of God's expectations for the behavior of His people.

            Please pray for my mission to Northern Ireland. You can read my overview of this undertaking here. My residence/postal address is 227 Crumlin Road, Belfast, Northern Ireland BT14 7DY, UK. Mobile: 44 7455 980890.