Sitting Around the Campfire with Jim

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2013

      'Tis the time of year. . . .

      Blog ENTRY 15 | February 2 2013

      During this time of year I think they should have a song like the 12 days of Christmas. No other time is more consuming or stressful. So I was thinking of making up one of my own.

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 27, 2013
        Another year older

        Blog ENTRY 17 | March 27 2013
        Well another year has passed. I am yet older again. I look forward to my birthday, as most people do, as it is the first full day of spring. But this year, not so much. . . .

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 29, 2013

          More days in a week

          Blog ENTRY 18 | JULY 29 2013

          Ever get the feeling that we need more hours in a day or more days in a week?

          That's how I've been feeling lately as we have been having a big turnover in the cafe staff and others have been ill. This has been the biggest blow to our (Historical) society, as we all are praying. To top it off I have been trying to run around and get the electronic implants that manage the pain in my back working, as well as many other medical appointments. . . .

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 12, 2013

            In the end, what counts is family

            Blog ENTRY 19 | August 12 2013

            As most people have figured out, friends come and go. You can choose your friends but not your family.

            I have seen proof of this time and time again. . . .

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 15, 2013

              Time to take a political stand

              related pages

              The Nanty Glo Home Page

              Jim Toth, a retired US Navy chief, is the treasurer and general projects manager of the Nant-Y-Glo Tri-Area Museum and Historical Society.

              The Nanty Glo Home Page and all its departments are for and by the whole Blacklick Valley community. Your feedback and written or artistic contributions, also notification about access problems, are welcomed.

              Click here to reply.

              Suitable letters to the Home Page will be considered for publication in the Forum departments unless they are specifically labeled "Not for Publication."

              Blog Entry
               21 | September 14 2013

              As much as I Iike politics, I try not to put my words out there when I cannot be debated back in person. But there comes a point that maybe I need to, and this seems to be one of those times.

              We have had some great town hall meetings here at the cafe. The Historical Society is happy to host them. But please keep in mind that this expression of opinion reflects not the position of the Historical Society but is my thinking only.

              County Commissioner Thomas C. Chernisky came to the cafe during our grand opening last year. He stayed and even had a dance with some of the staff. A few pictures were taken. He spent some money and went on his way. But he did not stop there. He comes in regularly to say hello and purchase an ice cream or just a drink. He brings his kids with him sometimes. When the Nanty Glo Senior Center closed, he came back and had a town hall meeting with the concerned seniors. It was great that the seniors came in and were able to address concerns and voice their opinions and learn about options. He basically walked in to a death match but stayed positive and was really appreciative of all the comments.

              President Commissioner Douglas R. Lengenfelder also came in for the grand opening. He made a quick speech, stayed for a few minutes, and left.

              Then we had a "coffee with Keith," Congressman Keith Rothfus. The Congressman came to the cafe and held an open door meeting as he does all around his district. He was very upbeat and professional. He regarded no question a dumb question. All who came had a chance to speak their minds, and he was very open to their comments. When he was leaving, he went to pay his bill. It had already been paid by someone else. His staff took notes in order to follow up with everything. When he left, the general consensus was that he projected himself as "sincere."

              During the "coffee with Keith," Commissioner Lengenfelder also came in. He purchased a shake and stayed kind of in the background, near the door. We thank him for coming. But there seemed to be more to his visit.

              When the Senior Center in Nanty Glo closed there was approximately $800 left in the fund. The seniors wanted the funds to go to local charities. After much questioning and comments to the Nanty Glo Journal and to the Commissioners, Mr. Lengenfelder took it upon himself to have a check drafted for the full amount and delivered it to the Nanty Glo Library. The only paper that was notified of this was the Johnstown Tribune Democrat. According to the seniors, they wanted this money divided to at least three local nonprofits of their choosing.

              After doing some investigation, it appears that this check was drafted without the knowledge of anyone else, or decided in a meeting. Hmmmmmm....

              I am really happy that at least the Library got the funds. Lord knows they need it! But why would you just give funds away that you did not raise? Why would you not go with what the seniors who did earn the money want? Then to just try and slip it by with a little snippit of an article in the Johnstown paper strikes me as a little too sneaky.

              This man's politics strike me as too much like the practices of a military officer desk jockey who has never been out in the field or in any action. He reminds me of the Commanding Officer in the Clint Eastwood movie, Heartbreak Ridge! How can he get ahead, even though doing so means depriving those under him?

              It seems to me:

              He has no problem hiring friends without advertising the
              position.

              He spends no time in his district with the local businesses.

              He has no problem cutting our seniors and others.

              He had no problem not getting pay to the Pennsylvania State constables.

              He failed to hire a person and pay his or her a salary, even though our controller said this position cannot go vacant and needs to be filled now!

              Yet he had no problem voting himself a nice raise!

              I feel the best we can hope for is a one term only for this Commissioner!

              Respectfully,
              — Jim

              Search site

              Enter a name or subject and press return.

              To read online:

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 23, 2013

                Major changes in our times

                Blog ENTRY 22 | October 23 2013

                To say this is easy would be incorrect.

                We all have our homes, families, and work to juggle. The boss gets the worst of it. I now am going on my eighth year with the Historical Society. The time flies on by. The work is never ending, juggling all that is going on and keeping the books. I am getting closer to the day that I can step back. The museum is getting closer and closer to opening.

                The cafe is showing that it's able to support itself.

                We all have to look to see what's being done and what's going on. Just because you don't see it happening does not mean it's not taking place. We ask for the support of everyone in an attempt to make the town better, to save artifacts of our glorious history is the Society's main goal, but times are changing. It seems just now that if it's not on the computer or readily accessible, we don't care to need to know.

                I often wonder if the time will come when all the computers or the Internet will just shut down, as in the TV show Revolution(preview here). What will these people dependent on their computers do? The show reflects life without electricity, without TV, video games, and even cars. We go back to horse and buggies and backyard gardens, and places where you know your neighbors.

                I like the show because it brings back the human aspects of life. It shows who would prevail and who would falter, as the great depression did. That was a time that still haunts us today. When older people pass away and their families go in to clean out their homes, they often say that those people were packrats. But those packrats knew how to stretch a dollar. If you got a mouse hole in the floor, you'd take an empty soup can, flatten it, and tack it over the hole. Need to store something? Grab an empty butter tub. Need a shovel? Go to the garage and look through the stack and you may find one with a good enough handle to use.

                The recent government shutdown made me think about who would have been the most hard hit by such an event, had it continued. It would have been our seniors, military veterans, and retirees. I think we need to do something to protect those people and then let our politicians go without a pay.

                Does the country need to go into default? Maybe! Maybe we can use that as a reset as the depression did many years before. Let's go back and start again. See if we can get it right THIS TIME. But first, protect the pensions and paychecks of those who already paid in and should get paid back!

                Respectfully,
                — Jim