Blacklick Township diary from 1956

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2010
      Jon Kennedy's Diaries
      from Blacklick Township - 1956

      Eighth grade at Big Bend School

      Diary entry 56 | March 2 2010

      From new snow to 80 degrees in one week!

      Sunday, April 22 - Saturday, April 28, 1956

      Monday, April 23 - This is the twenty third of April. We have about four more weeks of school. We plan on making a trip to Washington next week, yet today there is about 4 inches of snow on the ground! ? CONTINUED>>>

      Jon R. Kennedy, Webmaster, Nanty Glo Home Page
      Author, The Everything Jesus Book (2006)

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 9, 2010

        Jon Kennedy's Diaries
        from Blacklick Township - 1956

        Eighth grade at Big Bend School

        Diary entry 59 | March 9 2010

        Back at ground level after a Capitol high

        Sunday, May 6 - Saturday, May 12, 1956

        Sunday, May 6 - Home Again.

        We went to church this morning. Bob left this morning at last.* I got awfully tired sitting around this afternoon with no capitol to look at except on a postcard!

        I wrote my column this evening. CONTINUED>>>

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 16, 2010
          Jon Kennedy's Diaries
          from Blacklick Township - 1956

          Eighth grade at Big Bend School

          Diary entry 61 | March 16 2010

          Introduction

          Apologies to the "fans" who were waiting on tenterhooks for the outcome of "the washing machine crisis." The whole of it is the second paragraph of Monday's entry, and so far as I know it never comes up again in the diary. . . .

          Wow..."eighth grade at Big Bend School" is officially over. CONTINUED>>>

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 22, 2010
            Jon Kennedy's Diaries
            from Blacklick Township - 1956

            Summer in greater Belsano at age 14

            Diary entry 63 | March 23 2010

            Introduction

            I can almost remember being 14. It was heady stuff, I'm certain.

            This vacation Bible school was the only one I ever attended that met in the evening. CONTINUED>>>

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 23, 2010
              Jon Kennedy's Diaries
              from Blacklick Township - 1956

              Summer in greater Belsano at age 14

              Diary entry 64 | March 24 2010

              Introduction

              By the week and the days recounted below, it appears my 14-year-old hormones kicked in and quashed my diary-writing proclivity almost completely. So today will take us from June 10 through July 2, because most of those days have no records to speak of. After that, there are two fairly substantial entries for my Camp Allegheny experience, and then nothing until the beginning of school at August, and that resumption of the diary will be short-lived. So today's entry is the next to the next to the last for the 1956 diary. CONTINUED>>>

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 29, 2010

                Next to last entry week: Camp Allegheny

                Sunday, July 22 and Monday, July 23, 1956

                Sunday, July 22 - This week I am spending at camp and it, in the several hours I've been here, is not too bad. I'm the only boy here at Camp Allegheny from our vicinity. But I've already made a couple of friends. CONTINUED>>>

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 30, 2010

                  Last entries: Beginning high school

                  Monday, August 27 to Thursday, September 6, 1956

                  Monday, August 27 - At one p.m. this afternoon we resumed school.

                  Of course school is school all the same, except teachers, subjects and pupils. This is my first day of my first year of High School. This afternoon went fairly well but I am looking with dread toward initiation since my most disliked enemy is a senior. CONTINUED>>>

                  http://www.nantyglo.com/postcards10/mar3110.htm