Blacklick Township diary from 1955

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2 7:38 PM

      The great train excursion

      Saturday, April 23 - Friday, April 29, 1955

      Monday, April 25 - Tomorrow is the day of the big tour through Pittsburgh, Pa. by streamlined Pennsylvania Rail Road Passenger service. As planned (so I heard) there are to be 700 pupils go. The PRR bulletin had been scheglded to hold only 500. . .

      Jon R. Kennedy, Director
      Orthodox Christian Resource Center, Stanford University

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 7 7:48 PM

        Jon Kennedy's Diaries
        from Blacklick Township - 1955

        Seventh grade at Big Bend School

        Diary entry 19 | September 8 2009

        Introduction

        This section comments on the diary entries that follow in the section below.

        I received another email about the great train excursion to Pittsburgh in 1955, described here last week. CONTINUED>>>

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 15 8:42 PM
          Jon Kennedy's Diaries
          from Blacklick Township - 1955

          Seventh grade at Big Bend School

          Diary entry 21 | September 16 2009

          School days are numbered; first swim of '55

          Saturday, May 21 - Friday, May 27, 1955

          Saturday, May 21 - Mom and I went to Indiana this morning. We just shopped around.

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 16 11:05 PM
            Jon Kennedy's Diaries
            from Blacklick Township - 1955

            Seventh grade at Big Bend School

            Diary entry 22 | September 17 2009

            Introduction

            Good old days: "got my watch cleaned out for nothing in Nanty-Glo." "For nothing" in this context means for free, no charge. Most likely by one of the Nanty Glo jewelers of the time. The only one I remember now is "Suchman". . . is that because he did a favor for me 54 years ago? (Or was their store sign just next to Harry's Pizza's?)

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 23 8:03 PM
              Jon Kennedy's Diaries
              from Blacklick Township - 1955

              Between seventh and eighth grades at Big Bend School

              Diary entry 24 | September 24 2009

              Good days for playing in the barn

              Saturday, June 11 - Friday, June 17, 1955

              Saturday, June 11 - I helped Bob work on his truck this morning. He made a box in it to keep his blanket in. CONTINUED>>>

              http://www.nantyglo.com/postcards09/sep2409.htm

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 28 9:34 PM
                Jon Kennedy's Diaries
                from Blacklick Township - 1955

                Between seventh and eighth grades at Big Bend School

                Diary entry 25 | September 29 2009

                A sleepout in the woods

                Saturday, June 18 - Friday, June 24, 1955

                Saturday, June 18 - Eastern Standard time. We left home at 5:00 A.M. and went to Paridise. We didn't fish any in Paridise, just on the outside of the fence. CONTINUED>>>

                Jon R. Kennedy, Webmaster, Nanty Glo Home Page
                Author, The Everything Jesus Book (2006)

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 29 11:42 PM
                  Jon Kennedy's Diaries
                  from Blacklick Township - 1955

                  Between seventh and eighth grades at Big Bend School

                  Diary entry 26 | September 30 2009

                  Building our own cement sidewalk

                  Saturday, June 25 - Friday, July 1, 1955

                  Saturday, June 25 - They went fishing in Frank's car this morn at 3 o'clock A.M.
                  Mom and I went to Indiana. I got a new bicycle inner tube and got and peddled my Grits

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 5, 2009
                    Jon Kennedy's Diaries
                    from Blacklick Township - 1955

                    Between seventh and eighth grades at Big Bend School

                    Diary entry 27 | October 6 2009

                    Mopsy Cottontail dies; the cabbage patch fraud

                    Saturday, July 2 - Friday, July 8, 1955

                    Friday, July 8 - A man came to Thompsons this morning looking for kids to work planting cabbage for him. He told them he'd pay us $1.50 for 2/3's of a day's work. We worked for 3/4's of the day and he gave us $1.00 @*!+. He threatened to whip us with his belt if we didn't work well, and wouldn't even let us get a drink when we wanted one.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 13, 2009
                      Jon Kennedy's Diaries
                      from Blacklick Township - 1955

                      Between seventh and eighth grades at Big Bend School

                      Diary entry 29 | October 14 2009

                      Scamper gets a bath; swimming in White Mill

                      Saturday, July 16 - Friday, July 22, 1955

                      Saturday, July 16 - We had our fair as planned tonight it didn't last long. I made 28c selling pop corn . . . CONTINUED>>>

                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 3, 2009
                        Jon Kennedy's Diaries
                        from Blacklick Township - 1955

                        Eighth grade at Big Bend School

                        Diary entry 36 | November 4 2009

                        Introduction

                        This section comments on the diary entries that follow in the section below.

                        I vacillate between admiring my resourcefulness and being ashamed of my mercenary attempts to exploit everyone I knew to make a nickel at age 13. . . CONTINUED>>>