982Belfast blog for Friday; a Robbie Burns dinner

    Jan 24, 2014
      Please click here to read online with embedded video and graphics

      Below is the text only of today's blog.
      JONAL ENTRY 1390 | FRIDAY, JANUARY 24 2014

      Today's Scripture: The eye is the lamp of the body. So, if your eye is sound, your whole body will be full of light; but if your eye is not sound, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness! No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.
      — From Matthew's Gospel, chapter 6,
      See the homiletical thought below.

      Today's diary
      An exceedingly drizmal day here (drizmal is my original creation, but since you can't copyright a word, you have my permission to use it. But don't be using "sneezure," which was coined just to describe sneezing fits peculiar to Kennedy men). The streets are soaked and puddled, visibility is only a hundred yards or so, it's that drizmal, but you could wait out in it for a half hour for a bus and never have your clothes soaked through. I guess it's sort of a cross between a heavy fog and a light drizle.
      This being my Dock Cafe volunteer day, I'm too weary to think much less do so creatively, so I'll make this quick.
      A Robbie Burns dinner
      Except to say this is the eve of Robbie Burns Day (for auld lang syne), for which we Loom missioners in residence plan to attend a Robert Burns dinner at Sacred Heart Church tonight. We are told there will be haggis among other Scottish delicacies, so I'll have no excuse for not trying it, even though it's been described as oatmeal stuffing inside a swine's stomach, yumm! But a Catholic Church is putting this on, not because Burns is a favorite poet in that community (he is not) but as a way of reaching out to their neighbors who appreciate Burns better. And though I'm not especially enamored with Burns myself (he was a secularist before secularism was considered sexy), I'm attending as a show of appreciation for the Catholic community's reaching out. And to try my fork on some haggis. Yumm. «
      Today's Inspiration
      Today's inspiration is a video that my friend Zan Kriegel posted on Facebook. It answers the question, what's it like being a dad?
       «
      Chuckle
       «

      Today's quotes
       «
      Government is necessary because we are not angels, and it is possible because we are not brutes.
      — James R. Stoner, Jr. «
      The infinite value of each human soul is not a Christian doctrine. God did not die for man because of some value He perceived in him. The value of each human soul considered simply in itself, out of relation to God, is zero. As St. Paul writes, to have died for valuable men would have been not divine but merely heroic; but God died for sinners. He loved us not because we were lovable, but because He is Love.
      — C.S. Lewis (The Weight of Glory) «
      Homiletical thought: Jesus here is ringing His changes on a theme that we have encountered often in St. Paul's epistles: keeping the faith, by following the light He has given. Neither should you attempt to follow the light that Jesus has given alongside some other enlightener (like one American cleric who thought she could be part Christian and part Muslim), whether that other "enlightener" be a cult leader, philosopher, or innovator who calls his doctrine Christian (you cannot serve two masters). And in the same paragraph Jesus warns against being worldly or being seduced by secularism: You cannot serve God and mammon. Everything, from the political leadership of the Western democracies, to the advertising, the news, and entertainment industries and the educational establishment conspires to force you into a secular mould. «