976Belfast blog for Saturday

    Jan 18, 2014
      Please click here to read online, with the embedded video and photos

      Text only from today's blog:
      JONAL ENTRY 1384 | SATURDAY, JANUARY 18 2014

      Today's Scripture: Brethren, remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God; consider the outcome of their lives, and imitate their faith. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and for ever. Do not be led away by diverse and strange teachings; for it is well that the heart be strengthened by grace, not by foods, which have not benefited their adherents. . . . Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.
      — From St. Paul's Letter to the Hebrews, chapter 13,
      See the homiletical thought below.

      Today's diary
      Last night's first meeting of the Northern Ireland C.S. Lewis group at the Dock Cafe was lively and well attended, with 13 on hand for the launch and Jack Lamb presiding. One participant, John Gillespie, a C.S. Lewis expert on the faculty of the University of Ulster, came all the way from Coleraine to take part. Prof. Gillespie hosted me and the Stothers for a tour of sites identified with C.S. Lewis during my visit to the UK in 2010, linked here. Three additional meetings are planned for this year.
      Rainy weather continues today. «
      Today's Inspiration
      Random acts of kindness. Most of these take place in locations that most Americans probably don't think of as big on kindness.
       «
      Chuckle
      Have you ever seen a cat-eating fish?
       «

      Today's quotes
       «
       «
      «
      Homiletical thought: This Passage reinforces the church's traditional teachings about sainthood. We are to note the way the saints ("your leaders") live and the way they die. Paul encourages us to imitate them. The fact that they are being watched helps them to live circumspectly, doing nothing that will bring offense to any "little children" in the faith. And by this we should also learn to live circumspectly, always keeping "on our good behavior," which is another way that we can be good neighbors and live lives of sacrifice to the One who gave himself for us. «

      Unless specified otherwise, none of the message memes used in this blog are the creation or property of the author, but are reposted here from the social networks.
      Please leave comments on my Facebook or Google+ page.
      § I have now uploaded over 2,700 photos and videos, mostly from my current visit to Northern Ireland, but also including several hundred photos and videos from my summer in Pennsylvania (2012), and some photos of the family, on my Flickr site. Most of these are now organized by sets. Click here for the Flicker site.
      For more and more spontaneous posts, follow me onand (click on either icon to go to the site).
      Google+ works more automatically, so most of the pictures I post (excluding Flickr) are posted there. Feedback: Please comment on anything in today's blog on the Facebook and Google+ pages linked above, and of course via email to jrk@....
      Feedback is always welcome.

      Please pray for my mission to Northern Ireland. You can read my background overview of this undertaking here. My residence/postal address is 227 Crumlin Road, Belfast, Northern Ireland BT14 7DY, UK. Mobile: 44 7455 980890.
      — Webmaster Jon Kennedy