967A typical day in Belfast NI

    Jan 8, 2014

      Jon Kennedy's 'Postcards from
      his soj
      ourn in Northern Ireland'

      My Google+ diary and Belfast blog

      Jon Kennedy

      JONAL ENTRY 1374 | WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 8 2014

      Today's Scripture: . . . they came to John [the baptist], and said to him, "Rabbi, he who was with you beyond the Jordan, to whom you bore witness, here he is, baptizing, and all are going to him." John answered, "No one can receive anything except what is given him from heaven. You yourselves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Christ, but I have been sent before Him. He who has the bride is the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly at the bridegroom's voice; therefore this joy of mine is now full. He must increase, but I must decrease.

      "He who comes from above is above all; he who is of the earth belongs to the earth, and of the earth he speaks; He who comes from heaven is above all. He bears witness to what He has seen and heard, yet no one receives His testimony; he who receives His testimony sets his seal to this, that God is true."

      From St. John's Gospel, chapter 3,
      See the homiletical thought below.

      Today's diary

      Another typical January day in Belfast, as seen in early afternoon today. Despite the appearance, it's much colder than California. (But much, much warmer than Western Pennsylvania.)

      Actually, this is the first day this month in which this look has been typical, but typical is where you find it. This was taken on Cathedral Square, St. Anne's in the center, part of the University of Ulster behind. The crane is on a site for a new major building for the UU.

      I got a comment on my quote by Richard Land about the gay agenda, discussed here yesterday. The comment:

      if you dont like it - than dont be part of the problem.

      My reply: Like what? I have no opinion on homosexuals as people in general, other than that like all people, they bear the image of God and are to be respected and loved for that. But if the gay movement has an agenda to redefine marriage and ostracise anyone who prefers the definition Jesus made for it, that becomes a problem for society in general. When I see problems, it's my bounden duty to work for solutions. What do you have to offer?

      Today's Inspiration

      Today's inspirational video opens by asking what love is. The accompanying CNS article, Love Pedals On, is available here.

      If you can't play the video here, please click here to see it online.

      Chuckle

      Today's quotes

      There's something very wrong with America when the federal government selects light bulbs for its citizens. The fight over illumination is about so much more than just light bulbs for its citizens; it's about governmental overreach. The light bulb ban provides a useful window into the mindset of liberals. Here's how they see the issue: energy-saving bulbs are better, therefore, the others should be illegal. The pattern repeats itself in nearly every other realm: they determine the best policy, then impose it in a top-down manner with no regard for states, localities, or individuals.
      — Steve Straub, in The Federalist Papers

      Of course if the so-called "progressive" liberal ruling class cared one whit about consumers, public health, and the economy, the first law they would pass would be a requirement that all perishable packaged foods—like cheese, sliced sandwich meats, and baked goods—must be sold in resealable packaging. Have they ever considered such a measure? Of couse not; that, unlike their harebrained ideas for how to make life "better," would make some sense, and they don't "do" sense.
      — JK (maybe I need more fiber?)

      The golden moments in the stream of life rush past us, and we see nothing but sand; the angels come to visit us, and we only know them when they are gone.
      — George Eliot

      The Christian, trying to treat every one kindly, finds himself liking more and more people as he goes on.
      — CS Lewis

      Homiletical thought: Would that all believers in Jesus were as bold in their stand for Him as John. God is true.
      §     §     §
      Unless specified otherwise, none of the message memes used in this blog are the creation or property of the author, but are reposted here from the social networks.

      Please leave comments on my Facebook or Google+ page.

      § I have now uploaded over 2,700 photos and videos, mostly from my current visit to Northern Ireland, but also including several hundred photos and videos from my summer in Pennsylvania (2012), and some photos of the family, on my Flickr site. Most of these are now organized by sets.

      For more and more spontaneous posts, follow me onand (click on either icon to go to the site).

      Google+ works more automatically, so most of the pictures I post (excluding Flickr) are posted there. Feedback: Please comment on anything in today's blog on the Facebook and Google+ pages linked above, and of course via email to jrk@....

      Feedback is always welcome.

      §     §     §

      Please pray for my mission to Northern Ireland. You can read my background overview of this undertaking here. My residence/postal address is 227 Crumlin Road, Belfast, Northern Ireland BT14 7DY, UK. Mobile: 44 7455 980890.

      related pages

      The Nanty Glo Home Page

      SUBSCRIBE TO GET NOTICES OF THESE BLOGS BY EMAIL (free).

      The Nanty Glo Home Page
      and all its departments are for and by the whole Blacklick Valley community. Your feedback and written or artistic contributions, also notification about access problems, are welcomed. Click here to reply.
      Suitable letters to the Home Page will be considered for publication in the Forum department unless they are specifically labeled "Not for Publication."

      Jon Kennedy's recent book,
      C.S. Lewis Themes and Threads, is available for purchase at $2.99. Purchase supports the author'
      s mission to Belfast, Ireland. Click here to download it directly to your Kindle or your Kindle bookshelf on your PC or smartphone.
      Blogs I follow:
      Other books by Jon

      Author page
      on Amazon

      Search site

      Enter a name or subject and press return.

      © 2013 JRK