1175Friday's Belfast blog - Bible study, life in NI, closer look, video, humor, more . . .

    Aug 15, 2014

      image

      Belfast blog - Jon Kennedy
      The Jonal, Jon Kennedy's blog on the Nanty Glo, Pa. Home Page.
      Preview by Yahoo

      Text-only version:
      JONAL ENTRY 1570 | FRIDAY, AUGUST 15 2014

      Today's Scripture: At that time, Jesus entered a village; and a woman called Martha received him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving; and she went to him and said, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve you alone? Tell her then to help me." But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things; one thing is needful. Mary has chosen the good portion, which shall not be taken away from her." As he said this, a woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to him, "Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts that you sucked!" But he said, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it!"
      — St. Luke' Gospel, chapter 10:38-42, 11:27-28,
      See the homiletical thought below. «

      Today's diary - life in Northern Ireland

      The Rev. Jack Lamb, left, and Clifford Smyth, right, on Knockmany Hill, site of the chambered cairn/ancient tomb of "Queen Annya," that we visited on Tuesday. The pinkish-purpleish plant blooming in the background is a weed widely seen in Northern Ireland at this time of year (I asked if it is heather and was told it is not).
      Today began as gloriously sunny and fall-like, with heavy clouds coming in by mid-morning. At this writing, the sun is dominant.
      Tonight is the second meeting of the writers group here at the Loom. «
      A closer look
      Links to news, features, and opinion pieces. See caveat, below.
      Modern life tries to force Christians to live in an auto-correcting mode
      App that rates US retailers' politics finds Wal-Mart more liberal than Target
      Evangelical worship songwriter Vicky Beeching 'comes out' as gay
      Based on its long history of living with and under Middle-Eastern
      Muslims, Orthodox writer responds to the current persecutions
      Orthodox Christians need to know difference between cremation, chrismation
      'Christian Ebay' being launched by Texas entrepreneurs will benefit charities
      Claim: border-crossing teenagers being housed in US cities have gang ties
      Teenager made his home in a Wal-Mart in Dallas-Fort Worth suburb
      CBN: book shows evidence the war on faith is getting out of control
      Egypt's top Muslim cleric says ISIS genocide tarnishes the image of Islam
      Book delves into Catholic church's teaching on depression, suicide
      New smartphone app tells consumers the politics of food suppliers
      San Francisco-area public school rejects sex textbook as too graphic
      Demographics show surprising cause for drop in support for abortion in US «
      Christian worldview
      (This department alternates with Writing stuff)
      In order to maximize time to prepare for my writing group this evening (after most of my day being given over to my weekly stint as a Dock Cafe volunteer), I am foregoing a "Christian worldview" or "writing stuff" entry today. «
      Today's video
       «
      Chuckle
       «
      Today's quotes
      «
      Food is not evil, but gluttony is. Childbearing is not evil, but fornication is. Money is not evil, but avarice is. Glory is not evil, but vainglory is. Indeed, there is no evil in existing things, but only in their misuse.
      — St. Maximus the Confessor «
      If we did not bring to the examinations of our instincts a knowledge of their comparative dignity we could never learn it from them.
      — C.S. Lewis «
      Homiletical thought: Today is the feast of the dormition or repose of the Theotokos, the mother of God. Though of course God the Son is an eternal being without beginning, His birth in a human body was the means and beginning of our salvation. What He assumed, a human body and soul, He was able to save for the rest of us as the new Adam, the new head of the human family.
      In today's Gospel passage, Jesus points to His mother's obedience in doing what the Father wanted without hesitation. Yes, it was a blessing to nurse the Son of God, but even more important was her willingness to co-operate with the Father to be the vessel of His entrance into our world. That was hearing the Word and keeping it. «