1173Wednesday's Belfast blog - sex-positive

    Aug 13, 2014

      image

      Belfast blog - Jon Kennedy
      The Jonal, Jon Kennedy's blog on the Nanty Glo, Pa. Home Page.
      Preview by Yahoo

       Text-only version:
      JONAL ENTRY 1568 | WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 13 2014

      Today's Scripture: I will visit you after passing through Macedonia, for I intend to pass through Macedonia, and perhaps I will stay with you or even spend the winter, so that you may speed me on my journey, wherever I go. For I do not want to see you now just in passing; I hope to spend some time with you, if the Lord permits. But I will stay in Ephesos until Pentecost, for a wide door for effective work has opened to me, and there are many adversaries. When Timothy comes, see that you put him at ease among you, for he is doing the work of the Lord, as I am. So let no one despise him. Speed him on his way in peace, that he may return to me; for I am expecting him with the brethren. As for our brother Apollos, I strongly urge him to visit you with the other brethren, but it was not all his will to come now. He will come when he has the opportunity.
      — From St. Paul's First Letter to the Corinthians 16:4-12,
      See the homiletical thought below. «

      Today's diary - life in Northern Ireland

      Emerald view. Yesterday was a wonderful roadtrip day, hosted by Clifford Smyth who, with Samuel Ash and I went in Jack Lamb's car with Jack as the driver to Enniskillen, County Fermanagh, for what Clifford called a "boys day out" with reference to the BBC sitcom seen stateside on PBS, "Last of the Summer Wine." Having been a regular viewer of that slightly amusing series a few seasons back, I can say it was indeed that kind of day. Enniskillen is approximately 85 miles from Belfast, about 10 miles inside the Northern Ireland province from the Republic of Ireland border, most recently made famous by the G8 summit held near there a little more than a year ago. Our main destination was Devenish Island, the site of an ancient Celtic Christian monastery and later of an Augustinian monastery, about which more will be given here in days to come. First, though, our first stop yesterday was Knockmany Chambered Cairn, a site on a wooded hilltop about 20 miles from Armagh across the countyline in County Tyrone, believed to be the tomb of the wife, Annya, of a first-century Irish king. I'll also show and tell more about this in future days. For today, the photo above is the view from the summit of Knockmany. Knock, in Irish, is "hill," but I haven't been able to get a translation for "many."
      Though showers were forecast for yesterday, we were rained on for only a few minutes when we arrived at Devenish Island. This afternoon in Belfast is brilliantly sunny and windy, after some precipitation this morning.
      Tonight: the final catechism class at St. Ignatius, led by Carsten Lorenz. «
      A closer look
      Links to news, features, and opinion pieces. See Caveat, below.
      Pew study documents widening pay gap between journalism, PR jobs
      Australian couple's rejection of Down's syndrome son inspired BBC report
      Video: Artist who preferred demonic themes saw them become real to her daughter
      An Orthodox priest reflects on legacy of Robin Williams: Seize the day
      TechCrunch predicts the iPhone 6 will be 'the device of the year'
      Catholic nun tore down ISIS flag that had been flying in east London
      CBN: Obama's inaction blamed for the rise of new Islamic caliphate
      Member of Iraqi parliament, archbishop condemn ISIS genocide
      Christian worldview - 'sex-positive'
      (This department alternates with Writing stuff)
      Last time, I said "the main goal of the gay movement, heading its 'agenda,' is to 'normalize' homosexuality through a sex-positive rather than a sex-critical worldview." This time I'll elaborate on that.
      San Francisco, the metropolitan area in which I've lived most of my life (albeit in the outer reaches of its TV transmitters' coverage zone) may be the most "sex-positive" place on the planet, despite its outlawing of gay bath-houses when AIDs first became epidemic and most other cities declined to do so. A few years ago the city-county supervisors legalized public nudity to reflect their sex-positive attitude, but then reversed themselves because some residents complained that having bare butts sitting on public benches is unhygienic. There was even some consideration of whether the law could make an exception if the sitters brought towels to sit on. And even though public nudity may now be illegal again, the supervisors made an exception for street fairs and the City's answer to the Boston Marathon, the Bay to Breakers, which wouldn't be the same without naked runners.
      A Wikipedia list of "Mid and late 20th-century and all 21st-century feminists" describes the pop diva Madonna, along with a half dozen or so other women, as "sex-positive feminists" and elsewhere defines "sex positive feminism":
      Sex-positive feminism, also known as pro-sex feminism, sex-radical feminism, or sexually liberal feminism is a movement that began in the early 1980s that centers on the idea that sexual freedom is an essential component of women's freedom.

      Sex-positive feminism was based in acrimony against the anti-pornography strain of feminism. In lay terminology, being sex-positive is holding that being sexually active is essential to a happy life, and anything other than a happy life thus defined is not worth living. This is why in today's liberal party platform free contraceptives trumps religious freedom whenever they come into conflict. The necessity of being sex-positive is the main "finding" or accomplishment of the late 1960's and 1970's sexual revolution, built on the women's rights and gay rights movements established and widely publicized in those years. Being sex-positive means that everyone is expected to be sexually active throughout their lives, and anyone saying they are not is either lying, subnormal, or both. It has not helped critics of sexual liberalism that many of the professed celibate clergy in Catholicism were "outed" as being sexually active in varied ways.
      Sex-positive secular humanism is the dominant worldview in most of the democratic western nations now and a major competitor with a Christian worldview that is "sex-critical," which is where I'll continue next time. «

      Today's video
      Children being trained by Hamas for terrorism
       «
      Chuckle
       «
      Today's quotes
       «
      A man in this world must solve a problem: to be with Christ, or to be against Him. And every man decides this, whether he wants to or not. He will either be a lover of Christ or a fighter of Christ. There is no third option.
      — St. Justin Popovich, explaining 1 John, 4.3 «
      It is hard to have patience with people who say, 'There is no death' and 'Death doesn't matter.' There is death. And whatever is matters. And whatever happens has consequences, and it and they are irrevocable and irreversible. You might as well say that birth doesn't matter.
      — C.S. Lewis «
      Homiletical thought: Paul's ministry at this time was facing both perils and opportunities, as ours also seems to be facing at the end of our second summer in Northern Ireland. There are many uncertainties and no freedom to make plans beyond a few weeks at a time. Please pray for discernment and guidance for me and my counsellors and for fruitful ministry through the blog, my teaching, and book writing and editing. «