1160Sunday's Belfast blog - writing group

    Jul 27, 2014
      Belfast blog - Jon Kennedy
      The Jonal, Jon Kennedy's blog on the Nanty Glo, Pa. Home Page.
      Preview by Yahoo
      Text-only version:
      JONAL ENTRY 1555 | SUNDAY, JULY 27 2014

      Today's Scripture: TIMOTHY, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus, and what you have heard from me before many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. Share in suffering as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. No soldier on service gets entangled in civilian pursuits, since his aim is to satisfy the one who enlisted him. An athlete is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules. It is the hardworking farmer who ought to have the first share of the crops. Think over what I say, for the Lord will grant you understanding in everything.
      Remember Jesus Christ, risen from the dead, descended from David, as preached in my gospel, the gospel for which I am suffering and wearing fetters like a criminal. But the word of God is not fettered. Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain salvation in Christ Jesus with its eternal glory.
      — St. Paul's second letter to Timothy, chapter 2:1-10,
      See the homiletical thought below. «

      Today's diary - life in Northern Ireland

      Yesterday I was on the go until after 9 p.m., having been invited by Colin Williamson to take in "the world's largest Lambeg drumming contest" in the village of Markethill, County Armagh. The 44-second video embedded from YouTube above is one of several I took at the event, which was noisy to say the least, but a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to witness a regional tradition. The competition didn't begin until 7 p.m., though we had expected it to be earlier in the day. That's how I came to spend the afternoon on the Williamsons' farmlet outside Banbridge. There I had the pleasure of making the acquaintance of their newest "family" member, Mebd (pronounced Maeve) a donkey who keeps their pasture field mowed, among other things.
      Yesterday's and today's weather is back to the more typical Ireland pattern of mostly cloudy, with some drizzle and intermittent showers.
      Northern Ireland readers: This Friday we will have the first meeting of a (Christian?) writers group at the Loom, 227 Crumlin Road, 7:15 p.m. If you're interested in starting to write, polishing your writing, getting feedback on your writing, or just curious to listen to what others who are writing say about their craft, join us. No charge for this first meeting, which will consider various options for regular meetings to follow. Memoirs, fiction, articles, poetry, all types of writing open to discussion and round-robin critique. Coffee and tea with biscuits. Call 07455 980890 if you need more information, or just show up. «
      A closer look
      Formerly "In the news"; links to news, features, and opinion pieces. See Caveat, below.
      NY Times writer Josh Barro calls for stamping out 'gay-marriage' opponents
      Dr. Ben Carson outlines steps to turn back illegal immigration flood
      Like a tsunami, so-called gay marriage has swept aside just about every obstacle
      'Close communion' protects Orthodox eucharist and church doctrine
      Dr. Ben Carson's book outsold Hillary Clinton's by 60% last week
      Former NFL coach Dungy labelled ‘pathetic’ and a ‘homophobe’
      for saying he would not have drafted gay player
      Report: ISIS orders all girls and women in Mosul to undergo FGM
      Spirituality: documentary shows longest procession in Orthodoxy
      Professing Christian actor is being threatened for refusing to play bisexual
      Christian worldview
      (This department alternates with Writing stuff)
      The meme below, downloaded from the social networks, supports one facet of the Christian worldview.
      Today's video
      Today's quotes
      . . . sexual fundamentalism wants any dissent marginalized . . . . This attitude, which is emblematic of the increasing intolerance in many sectors of culture towards those with traditional beliefs about sexuality, penalizes citizens for their beliefs. What we see playing out, once more, is that for liberalism to take root, it must take root by authoritarian impulse where the lies of the sexual revolution, to be cemented, must be enforced through acts of social and legal coercion.
      — Andrew Walker and Owen Strachan «
      The only true riches are those that make us rich in virtue. Therefore, if you want to be rich, beloved, love true riches. If you aspire to the heights of real honor, strive to reach the kingdom of Heaven. If you value rank and renown, hasten to be enrolled in the heavenly court of the Angels.
      — St. Gregory the Great «
      A great many of those who "debunk" traditional...values have in the background values of their own which they believe to be immune from the debunking process.
      — C.S. Lewis «
      Homiletical thought: Neither the Lord in his own preaching and the Apostles in theirs sugarcoats the fact that the Way of the Cross is going to encounter difficulties, and that most of the pitfalls come in the form of opposition of the philosophies of this world, Satan's ideas, propositions he makes against the Gospel, the way of Christ and His cross, the way of life. Now we are entering a time when, Satan having won major victories through the enactment of "gay marriage," when powerful voices (like a New York Times writer Tweeted a day or two ago; see the first article linked in today's "Closer look" department) are saying that the opponents of "gay marriage" must be quashed—silenced—even if it takes "ruthless" force. Some Christians think the worst is behind us, now that the courts through the United States have been throwing out laws forbidding same-sex unions, but the fact is—God preserve us—that the worst is just beginning. «
      §     §     § Return to top