1158Wednesday's Belfast blog - Einstein on God

    Jul 23 8:21 AM

      image

      Belfast blog - Jon Kennedy
      The Jonal, Jon Kennedy's blog on the Nanty Glo, Pa. Home Page.
      Preview by Yahoo

      Text-only version:
      JONAL ENTRY 1553 | WEDNESDAY, JULY 23 2014

      Today's Scripture: . . . if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her. If any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he consents to live with her, she should not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband is consecrated through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is consecrated through her husband. Otherwise, your children would be unclean, but as it is they are holy. But if the unbelieving partner desires to separate, let it be so; in such a case the brother or sister is not bound. For God has called us to peace. Wife, how do you know whether you will save your husband? Husband, how do you know whether you will save your wife? Only, let every one lead the life which the Lord has assigned to him, and in which God has called him. This is my rule in all the churches. Was any one at the time of his call already circumcised? Let him not seek to remove the marks of circumcision. Was any one at the time of his call uncircumcised? Let him not seek circumcision. For neither circumcision counts for anything nor uncircumcision, but keeping the commandments of God. Every one should remain in the state in which he was called. Were you a slave when called? Never mind. But if you can gain your freedom, avail yourself of the opportunity.
      — From St. Paul's first letter to the Corinthians, chapter 7,
      See the homiletical thought below. «

      Today's diary - life in Northern Ireland

      Today's weather in Belfast: "put the top down, Molly, we're going for a ride." I spoke too soon a day or so ago when I said it doesn't get any better than this; today is better. In fact, most locals are probably complaining of the heat (72°F) and even I have two windows open "for cross-ventilation" and wishing I had a fan (it must be the humidity; in California I'd be thinking, "it's starting to warm up"). Two windows open may be a first here, but my memory is less than pairfect. The picture above is a leftover from my excursion to Derry and Donegal last month, and I chose it because it's one I might be taking again tomorrow, of the Belfast train arriving in Derry. I hope to be repeating that trip, "on business"; and so there's not likely to be a blog tomorrow.
      There is enough reading material linked below to keep you busy, however, so I'll let you to it. «
      A closer look
      Formerly "In the news"; links to news, features, and opinion pieces. See Caveat, below.
      Mosul's last Christians flee Iraq's hoped-for Christian stronghold
      Ethnic cleansing of Christians in Mosul ends ancient presence there
      Arabic letter 'nun' used to identify Christians, now stands for solidarity
      Opposing Federal Court rulings raise new questions on Obamacare
      Analysis: gay rights are based on preference for sodomy, not skin color
      National Review editors: The ACA means what it says
      J.R.R. Tolkien - C.S. Lewis friendship to be subject of planned film
      Dr. Ben Carson wins Presidential straw poll at conservative confab
      Celebrities: James Garner dead at 86; DeNiro stands with Israel
      Liberal law professor Turley: Congress 'must act' to stop Obama
      Defense Force deflects attempts by Hamas to abduct Israelis
      Harry Reid hoping to pass carbon tax after the mid-term election
      The world's only paratrooper priests, "flying chapels" are Orthodox
      Prices of beef and bacon reach all-time high in United States
      Why Legos have been washing up on a British beach for 17 years
      Former leftist recapulates ten reasons she no longer so self-identifies
      Fourth-century Eastern Catholic monastery in Iraq seized by ISIS militants
      Liberals are misrepresenting Hobby Lobby religious freedom ruling
      Movie: Our Hearts Are Restless traces paths of three who left gay life
      House resolution asks border state governors to deploy National Guard
      Christian worldview
      (This department alternates with Writing stuff)

      This fits in so well with the previous several entries in this department that I had to share it. I don't know why or in what way it's supposed to be linked to Einstein; perhaps the little boy is meant to represent him as a child. «
      Today's video
       «
      Chuckle
       «
      Today's quotes
       «
      The true Christian is a warrior making his way through the regiments of the invisible enemy to his heavenly homeland.
      — St. Herman of Alaska «
      Good is always getting better and bad is always getting worse: the possibilities of even apparent neutrality are always diminishing. The whole thing is sorting itself out all the time, coming to a point, getting sharper and harder.
      — C.S. Lewis «
      Homiletical thought: Today's teaching of St. Paul includes one of the Bible's most detailed expositions on divorce. Christians are enjoined from suing for divorce and Paul makes it plain that keeping such a marriage intact should be for the children's sake, if nothing else. He says nothing of romantic love and at that time that was not part of the equation. Remember Tevya and Golde in Fiddler on the Roof—romantic love had nothing to do with it—and that was only a little over a century ago! But Paul does teach that if the unbeliever sues for a divorce the believer should not block it. This raises some questions. What if a "believer" turns against the faith? What if the suing partner professes faith but shows no signs of fidelity to it? The answers are beyond my payscale, as a better man than I famously said. And yes, I'm glad they're questions I won't have to solve. «
      §     §     § Return to top