1152Thursday's Belfast blog - heirs of God

    Jul 17, 2014

      image

      Belfast blog - Jon Kennedy
      The Jonal, Jon Kennedy's blog on the Nanty Glo, Pa. Home Page.
      Preview by Yahoo

      Text-only version:
      JONAL ENTRY 1547 | THURSDAY, JULY 17 2014

      Today's Scripture: . . . now that faith has come, we are no longer under a custodian; for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's offspring, heirs according to promise. I mean that the heir, as long as he is a child, is no better than a slave, though he is the owner of all the estate; but he is under guardians and trustees until the date set by the father. So with us; when we were children, we were slaves to the elemental spirits of the universe. But when the time had fully come, God sent forth his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons.
      — From St. Paul's Letter to the Galatians, chapter 3,
      See the homiletical thought below. «

      Today's diary - life in Northern Ireland

      An accordian marching band marches up the main street of Scarva, County Down, as part of Monday's Black Parade and Re-enactment. I had not noticed the instruments with the musical scores attached during the actual sighting. I'd never heard of an accordian band before the parade two days earlier in Belfast, where there were also several such bands, nor do I remember any of the accordianists in my high school playing their accordians in the school band. Live long enough and you just might learn a thing or two. Their music was "fuller" in my way of thinking than the other bands and though I always thought of accordians as made for polkas, their songs (hymns, in this parade) did not sound like polka dances.
      Today has been mostly sunny, so much so that I was sorely tempted to take an excursion, but since I still have a backlog of pictures for this feature, decided against it. But there's still a lot of NornIron I haven't explored yet.
      Early tomorrow my friend Jack Lamb is off to a weekend in Scotland, and next week he is planning to attend a course every morning, so today's was the last of our morning prayer meetings for a while.
      Last night's catechism class at St. Ignatius, which Jack and I have been attending as an educational and fellowship opportunity (neither of us catechumen), had much good content. Carsten Lorenz, our teacher, has been doing a great job. «
      In the news
      Links to articles on current issues—news and opinion that may signify how the cultural winds are blowing. Note that most 'news reports' are not 'objective' and if some are 'neutral' it's because the writers and editors are disinterested (could care less about the topic). Neither are 'news reports,' in general, highly accurate or unbiased; try to discern the bias of any report's source; always read aware and at your own risk.
      Liberal law professor warns of Obama dictatorship; urges Congress to act
      White House claims its foreign policy has fostered global tranquility
      First Things deputy editor Matthew Schmitz describes how
      maturing as a Christian changed his thinking on gay marriage
      Silicon Valley venture capitalist is promoting turning California into six states
      Obama opposes persecution of religious groups—in Ramadan talk
      Senator introduces a bill to curtail states' authority over abortion clinics
      Leithart: Christians in the US face a crisis that will lead to martyrdom
      Sen. Ted Cruz asks when Democrats declared war against Catholic church
      Movsesian: Boko Haram is not principally anti-women, but anti-Christian
      Christian worldview
      (This department alternates with Writing stuff)

      Today's worldview comment will be found in the Homiletical thought. «
      Today's video and chuckle
       «
      Today's quotes
       «
      Atheism, true "existential" atheism burning with hatred of a seemingly unjust or unmerciful God, is a spiritual state; it is a real attempt to grapple with the true God. . . . Nietzsche, in calling himself Antichrist, proved thereby his intense hunger for Christ.
      — Seraphim Rose, Nihilism «
      God, who foresaw your tribulation, has specially armed you to go through it, not without pain but without stain.
      — C.S. Lewis «
      Homiletical thought: Many of the atheists and secularists on the social networks who seem to fancy it one of their missions in life to bully Christians, often in their deep logic remark how many people let themselves be oppressed by religion in general and Christianity specifically. Even though The Day of the Locust is among my favorite movies, I have never met a Christian who mentioned his faith being oppressive, as it may be in the case of that film's character, the original Homer Simpson (played by Donald Sutherland). On the contrary, Christian faith (though not put-on religion or religiosity, something professed and practiced with no relationship with a living God) is a source of great liberation to most. If we are adopted sons of God, heirs to the kingdom whose domain and dominion is the whole universe, as Paul affirms in today's epistle section, how could we not be freer than anyone burdened by such delusions as that he is the accidental descendant from pond scum and heir to nothing but dust? «