Re: [nantyglo_list] (unknown)

  • RD
    Message 1 of 83 , Jan 29, 2004
      Well Sallie,

      All this time I thought it was Wister-shore.  LOL

      Well, not really.  Its funny how pronunciations vary in different parts of the country.

      I went to college in Kansas.  There, I had to learn that a roof was called a ruff and
      a root was said in a way that rhymed with foot.  My wife thought I was crazy when I talked about the cellar or the clothes-press or said you-uns.

      In Alabama, I had an elderly Black man come into our building supply store and asked me for a flow vent.  I took him to the plumbing section and tried in vain for several minutes to figure out what he wanted.  It wasn't a flow valve, or a water line air-vent to keep the pipes from knocking.

      In frustration he finally pointed to the floor and said, "I want a flow vent.  A flow vent."
      I took him to the heating & cooling department and he happily left with a hot air register vent (floor vent).

      In Mississippi, small communities have strange pronunciations as well.  Cairo (I was taught in school that it has a long "i" sound) sounds like Kay-row, Hurricane is Her-i-kun and Endville is En-vul.  Of course, any flavor of soda or pop is a coke here.  Iced tea is called sweet tea and it is SWEET!!!  I think it is 1/3 sugar, 1/3 tea and 1/3 ice.   YUCK.

      Rich Dilling
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      It is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the
      providence of Almighty God, to obey His will,
      to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to
      implore His protection and favor.

      - President George Washington
    • P Dyer
      Message 83 of 83 , Jun 23, 2014
        Yes!!!

        Pat

        On , P Dyer <pdyer53@...> wrote:

        Yes!!!

        Pat

        On Monday, June 23, 2014 1:05 PM, "DUSTYDES@... [nantyglo_list]" <nantyglo_list@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Do you mean Kasey???
        Des...

        In a message dated 6/23/2014 11:35:08 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, nantyglo_list@yahoogroups.com writes:
        Des, Your new son-in-law is my old nephew!
        Pat