Re: New Survey

  • Gina Miller
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 4, 1999
      To clarify the survey: Nanotechnology in it's fullest capability, where it
      is considered for life extension, easier space travel and home nanomachines.
      (The whole shabang)
      Nanogirl

      >From: "J. R. Molloy" <jr@...>
      >
      >By "full blown" do you mean ubiquitous and omnipresent, or just capable of
      >making gold from raw sewage?

      (Survey)
    • J. R. Molloy
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4, 1999
        Okay, thanks for the clarification.

        >To clarify the survey: Nanotechnology in it's fullest capability, where it
        >is considered for life extension, easier space travel and home
        nanomachines.
        >(The whole shabang)
        >Nanogirl
        >

        >>From: "J. R. Molloy" <jr@...>
        >>
        >>By "full blown" do you mean ubiquitous and omnipresent, or just capable of
        >>making gold from raw sewage?
        >

        >(Survey)

        >ONElist members: don't miss out on the latest news at ONElist
        >Join our community member news update at

        >"Nanotechnology: solutions for the future."

      • Spike Jones
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 5, 1999
          > From: "J. R. Molloy" <jr@...>
          >
          > By "full blown" do you mean ubiquitous and omnipresent, or just capable of
          > making gold from raw sewage?

          Nanotech doesnt do this, J.R. Diamonds from raw sewage perhaps,
          but not gold. No transmutation of elements. spike
        • Alan Heaberlin
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 5, 1999
            Given the propensity for our government's research
            priorities to favor national security and secret
            programs to develop projects in that light, it
            seems probable that any truly useful adaptations
            of nanotechnology will be produced with the
            resource of unlimited funding for black projects.
            This presupposes that there will be a quantum
            leap of imaginative and successful progress in
            someone's garage or a locally supported lab.
            If you don't believe that NSA spooks aren't
            watching the nanotechnology boards and websites I
            have some bridges in the Bay area I'd like to sell
            cheap.
            The obvious solution to a scenario such as I have
            illustrated here is some very dedicated grass
            roots projects to support the brightest and best
            minds in the field. This means funding for
            competitive salaries for project directors,
            scientists and technicians. This may be possible
            with support of private and corporate foundations
            to nonprofit research projects. Nonprofit however,
            does not mean unpaid.
            With the appropriate support for a project with
            realistic and attainable goals I don't think we
            should have to wait 10 years to see some dramatic
            progress in the fundamental work of designing a
            molecular assembler. "Full-blown" influences will
            depend on how fast the spooks get their hand on
            the results. They flew the F-117 for over 6 years
            (and in combat) before we ever got to see one!
            Realistically cynical,
            Alan Heaberlin

            http://www.onelist.com/surveys/nanotech

            Note: Please do not reply to this message. Survey
            votes are not collected
            via email. To vote, you must go to the ONElist
            website.

            Thanks!

            nanotech Owner

            --------------------------- ONElist
            Sponsor ----------------------------

            Why do TEENAGERS get WISDOM teeth?
            What kind of TREES have square ROOTS?
            The DR. has answers:<a href="
            http://www.drscience.com/s ">Click</a>

          • James B. Lewis
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 5, 1999
              At 7:46 AM -0700 9/5/99, Alan Heaberlin wrote:

              >The obvious solution to a scenario such as I have
              >illustrated here is some very dedicated grass
              >roots projects to support the brightest and best
              >minds in the field. This means funding for
              >competitive salaries for project directors,
              >scientists and technicians. This may be possible
              >with support of private and corporate foundations
              >to nonprofit research projects. Nonprofit however,
              >does not mean unpaid.
              >With the appropriate support for a project with
              >realistic and attainable goals I don't think we
              >should have to wait 10 years to see some dramatic
              >progress in the fundamental work of designing a
              >molecular assembler.

              So the question becomes how to identify the project with realistic and
              attainable goals and then how to obtain appropriate support.

              I've been involved with discussions to start nanotechnology-related
              enterprises several times over the past 12 years. I've also worked closely
              with the Foresight Institute over much of this period.

              A principal problem that I've observed is that it is impossible to attract
              substantial amounts of money unless there is already a mature business plan
              such that investors can expect to recoup their money in 2 to 5 years.
              Unfortunately, the basic technology leading to nanotechnology is still in
              the research phase, so it is likely that commercial products would be many
              years away. It might take 5 to 10 years of research to identify a pathway
              clearly leading to an assembler, and this research might or might not lead
              to saleable products in the interim. In the most serious attempt in which I
              was involved, the principals could not afford financially to quit their
              "day jobs" to do the large job of developing their ideas to the point of
              having a mature proposal to attract investors.

              As for a non-profit foundation to advance nanotechnology, that is a pretty
              good description of the Foresight Institute and the Institute for Molecular
              Manufacturing. Yet both of these organizations founded by Eric Drexler have
              been cash-starved. After more than 10 years promoting nanotechnology, their
              total budget is not more than a few hundred thousand dollars per year, and
              the large gifts that they have been able to attract are in the 10,000 to
              100,000 dollar range. Their efforts have been devoted to exploring ways to
              develop nanotechnology, developing policy for regulating nanotechnology,
              use of web annotations to encourage better critical discussions, pursuit of
              open source software to ensure software that is up to the job of handling
              nanodevice networks, etc. The hope is now that discussions leading to
              concrete proposals will occur at senior associate gatherings:
              http://www.foresight.org/SrAssoc/1999_Fall_Gathering/index.html
              http://www.foresight.org/SrAssoc/Perspectives/index.html
              http://www.foresight.org/SrAssoc/99Gathering/index.html

              So it is more than a bit frustrating that with all that Foresight and IMM
              have accomplished, both are still so minimally funded that they must devote
              most of their time and energy to trying to attract more senior associates
              to keep from going broke. I don't know what the problems are, but some
              possibilities are:
              1. philanthrophists wealthy enough to make a real difference are either too
              technophobic or too short-sighted to be interested.
              2. the myriad problems associated with developing nanotechnology are so
              difficult and complex that noone has been able to elucidate a compelling
              proposal.
              3. Foresight and IMM have not communicated their cases clearly and to the
              right people.

              I think further discussion of these topics would be useful and interesting.

              Jim Lewis

              James B. Lewis, Ph.D. James B. Lewis Enterprises
              7527 40th Avenue NE, Seattle, WA 98115-4925
              E-mail: nanojbl@... alternate e-mail: nanojlewis@...
              World Wide Web: http://www.halcyon.com/nanojbl/