Solving the Problem of The Absence of the Nano-equivalent of Wires

  • astrosacrenoir
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 15, 2010
      Solving the Problem of The Absence of the Nano-equivalent of Wires: AFM Graphine Oxide Reduction Techniques

      As quoted from http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/42906:

      " 'The beauty of our technique is that we have devised a simple, robust and reproducible technique that enables us to change an insulating sample into a conducting nanowire,' said Sheehan, who heads the Surface Nanoscience and Technology Center at the NRL.

      " 'The process – called thermochemical nanolithography – of changing the chemistry of a material with a hot nanotip is very promising and we are able to write semiconducting or metal lines in an insulating matrix by using an array of tips heated at different temperatures,' added Riedo.

      "According to the team, which includes researchers from the University of Illinois and the Institut Néel in Grenoble, the nanowires conduct better than doped amorphous silicon and compare well to most doped polymer conductors. However, unlike these other materials, all of the conduction occurs in a single layer of atoms in the sample. "

      This discovery opens previously closed venues for the expansion of the field of nanotechnology, paving the way for inventors that will marry computer science and nanotechnology.
    • Raul
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7, 2010
        Very interesting research.
        Do you have a bibliography on this topic?

        Thanks,