Terra Preta / Biochar Carbon Structure?

  • erich_knight
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2009
      Dear Group,
      I have been advocating for a soil carbon sequestration / biofuels technology generally refered to as Biochar, charcoal with an
      aromaticity that has a high affinity with soil biota. Resulting in high CEC, high yields, high gomalin and other recalcitrant organic carbons.
      This is a Nano technology for the soil that represents the most comprehensive, low cost, and productive approach to long term stewardship and sustainability.

      I would like your comments on the posting below, on a thread about nano structured carbons

      Thanks
      Erich

      by geoff;
      "We're onto it here folks.

      Fullerenes do a splash of atomic weights with peaks... big one at C60, some very large.

      They were FOUND researching the physical structure of charcoal, about contemporaneously with the "El Dorado" Terrapreta... on another continent. Very Recently. Still stunning current ground-breaking science.

      They are in charcoal that has got hot enough, long enough to form aromatic ring sheets.

      In charcoal they appear as graphene sheets with distortions of the aromatic rings due to rogue non-C components, or 5-C rings, causing them to curl.

      Sometimes they are intercolated with small balls. They make things slipperier. Friable perhaps?

      When they curl completely they makes tubes... nano tubes...

      And the oldest charcoal drawing was...?

      And in Australia, Terrapreta Australis has been found by Adrianna Downie and Lukas Van Swieten in Victorian aboriginal cooking pits resembling the maori 'hungi', dated at 600 - 1200 years. The C is still there.

      A call yesterday assured me of a new find pushing aboriginal settlement of this continent back to ~150,000 years, twice the current top estimate.

      So Fullerenes made by humans have been here a long time, by nature (every lightning hit tree...) a lot longer.

      I thought that was exciting....

      Now, after the IBI conference, Ron Smernick, Uni Adelaide and others treated us to Physics and microscopy 101. We learned the "aromaticity" of charcoal graphene sheets as detected by magnetic resonance spectroscopy, can give a extremely accurate picture of the "Twins Peaks " ( sorry) of a characterisation spectrum that is now showing up in some of the best current biochars AND the distant TPs of Amazonia.
      It looks like the Buckyballs' precursors, sheets of C6 rings, have magnetic resonances that carry an easily discernible, vital key to characterising the best TP for our char meme.
      owzat?
      geoff