Re: [nanotech] taliban

  • steve wishnevsky
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2000
      Mark Gubrud wrote:

      > From: Mark Gubrud <mgubrud@...>
      >
      > > From: steve wishnevsky <wishnevs@...>
      > >
      > > i beg to differ... even now there is a spectrum of human
      > beings.....
      > > fetuses, children, brain dead persons, comatose persons, prisoners,
      > > institutionalized persons.. and so on..... many words are spoken in
      > > anger about just who is and is not a person... the Taiban don't
      > admit
      > > women as people.... it will get worse.. steve.w
      >
      > I didn't know the Taliban was on this list. In any case, I think
      > there is
      > such a thing as common usage, and starting from that position we can
      > easily dispose of all these quibbles, leaving them to be resolved in
      > their
      > particular contexts within which the term "human" might be used in
      > some
      > non-standard way. Thus, all of the objects you mentioned are human
      > beings; however, their status is not necessarily equal, or the same in
      > all
      > societies. I support abortion rights, for example, and I see no
      > contradiction with the position that a fetus is a human being. On the
      >
      > other hand, absolutely no computer or other artificial intelligence is
      >
      > ever going to qualify.
      >
      > --Mark

      side bet?... people tend to personify their machines, and i think that
      they will desire to do so literally... how many iterations is it from
      Furby to as simple a machine as an Asmovian robot... how long is
      ever?... my money is that it will happen in my lifetime, and i am over
      fifty.....steve w.
    • Mersmalley@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2000
        On 3/39 steve w wrote:
        side bet?... people tend to personify their machines, and i think that
        they will desire to do so literally... how many iterations is it from
        Furby to as simple a machine as an Asmovian robot... how long is
        ever?... my money is that it will happen in my lifetime, and i am over
        fifty.....steve w.

        Now that I know someone else is over fifty I feel like commenting...Actually
        I am over 60, female, a former elem. teacher. I do not feel qualified to
        join in this conversation. I am only a fan of Hard science fiction and a
        bigger fan of real science. Thank you Mark for the real science behind the
        science fiction.

        Steve, l for one won't take that side bet. I remember the ads in the old
        Movietone News (news/advertisements) at the movies when I was a child. The
        promise of the near future when robots would be doing all my housework. When
        cars would drive themselves. Here we are into the new millen. and while
        computer chips can be found in many places around my home...there is no robot
        yet.
        I even struggle with with the thought of this "me" being able to live beyond
        100 due to new advances in medicine. I shudder to think of a massive
        population of centanarians. And a population of cyber citizens is even more
        scary to me. I want the Human population to continue as long as possible. I
        believe it will thanks to the many scientists that continue progressing one
        small step at a time. But even in the next millenium I think the humans will
        still be merely human even if cyber look-a-likes "exist" to do their bidding.
        Thanks again to Mark and to Gina for providing me with the information about
        what is currently happening and what is near-term possible.
        Merilyn