Isotopes

  • Jeff Coyle
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 26, 2007
      I am a graduate student that just finished his thesis on stable
      isotopes involving 15N in the microbial biomass in the soil. I am
      really interested in nanotechnology, but I thought maybe someone would
      humor me and think of a excellent way to use nanotechnology in
      ecological research and maybe help brainstorm a few ideas on how
      stable isotope 15N would be useful. Some ideas I thought of, were
      using 15N to trace the origin and destination of future molecular
      technology, kind of like a built in bar code or maybe for sorting
      purposes.

      Once again, I know there is alot of people out there that specialized
      in nano development so, I would be more of a person looking for ideas
      to make developments useful to my field rather then develop it. I also
      welcome pure speculation.

      Thank you
    • Chuck B
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 27, 2007
        Jeff,

        You wrote:

        > I am a graduate student that just finished his thesis on stable
        > isotopes involving 15N in the microbial biomass in the soil....

        Congratulations on finishing. How did you measure the isotope, ICP-MS?

        Chuck
      • erich_knight
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 27, 2007
          --- In nanotech@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Coyle" <el.jeffe@...> wrote:

          > I am a graduate student that just finished his thesis on stable
          > isotopes involving 15N in the microbial biomass in the soil. I am
          > really interested in nanotechnology, but I thought maybe someone would
          > humor me and think of a excellent way to use nanotechnology in
          > ecological research and maybe help brainstorm a few ideas on how
          > stable isotope 15N would be useful. Some ideas I thought of, were
          > using 15N to trace the origin and destination of future molecular
          > technology, kind of like a built in bar code or maybe for sorting
          > purposes.
          >
          > Once again, I know there is alot of people out there that specialized
          > in nano development so, I would be more of a person looking for ideas
          > to make developments useful to my field rather then develop it. I also
          > welcome pure speculation.
          >
          > Thank you

          Hi Jeff,
          Just a thought.......Could 15N in the microbial biomass in the soil
          help define what is happening In Terra Preta soils?

          I thought the current news and links on Terra Preta soils and closed-
          loop pyrolysis would interest you.
          Thanks, Erich

          SCIAM Article May 15 07

          http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=5670236C-E7F2-99DF-
          3E2163B9FB144E40

          If you have any other questions please feel free to call me or visit
          the TP web site I've been drafted to co-administer.
          http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/?q=node

          It has been immensely gratifying to see all the major players join the
          mail list , Cornell folks, T. Beer of Kings Ford Charcoal (Clorox),
          Novozyne the M-Roots guys(fungus), chemical engineers, Dr. Danny Day
          of EPRIDA , Dr. Antal of U. of H., Virginia Tech folks and probably
          many others who's back round I don't know have joined.

          Terra Preta Soil's masive fungal and microbe populations provide a
          cascade of positive soil metrics;Cation exchange,Glomalin production,
          water retention, plus Carbon Negative Bio fuels, massive Carbon
          sequestration, 1/3 Lower CH4 & N2O soil emissions, and 3X FertilityToo

          This some what orphaned new soil technology speaks to so many different
          interests and disciplines that it has not been embraced fully by any.
          I'm sure you will see both the potential of this system and the
          convergence needed for it's implementation.

          The integrated energy strategy offered by Charcoal based Terra Preta
          Soil technology may
          provide the only path to sustain our agricultural and fossil fueled
          power
          structure without climate degradation, other than nuclear power.

          .Nature article, Aug 06: Putting the carbon back Black is the new
          green:
          http://bestenergies.com/downloads/naturemag_200604.pdf

          Here's the Cornell page for an over view:
          http://www.css.cornell.edu/faculty/lehmann/biochar/Biochar_home.htm

          University of Beyreuth TP Program, Germany
          http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/?q=taxonomy/term/118

          This Earth Science Forum thread on these soils contains further links,
          and has been viewed by 19,000 self-selected folks. ( I post everything
          I find on Amazon Dark Soils, ADS here):
          http://forums.hypography.com/earth-science/3451-terra-preta.html

          Erich J. Knight
        • Dr. David Deal
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 28, 2007
            hello jeff,
            maybe to detect pollutants in soil, water and if incorporated into a
            membrane-filter to detect particulants of a toxic nature. Using
            nanotechnology should allow us to "stretch" the supply of metals &
            minerals. some predict we will run out of such resources in 15 to 20
            years at current rates of consumption. such technology in about 20
            years might allow us to actually make materials out of info-knowledge.
            this speculation by some may be overly optimistic but who knows.
            reminds me of the fictional TV series Star Trek's "replicators."
            some even hope that the applied science of nanotech will decrease
            pollutants during manufacturing processes. sensors based on nanotech
            arein use in some form. one or a few predict use to make MEMS/NEMS that
            remove pollutants from soil, water & atmosphere. better filter
            technology as i said could be used to remove soot particulates from
            cars, manufacturing plants, etc.; removal of CO.2, etc.;
            see http://jetpress.org/volume14/freitas.pdf
            in particular one could also possibly use nanotech to check up on
            or as follow-up of efforts in cleaning up spills, leakage, etc.
            personally i think one of the most pressing needs is to provide clean
            potable water around the globe. maybe nanotech could be used to improve
            desalination techniques.
            more up your area of interest would be the use of nanotech in
            improving crop yields, using less energy, making lighter materials,
            etc. use of nanotech in botany to kill dangerous forms of fungi,
            bacteria, viruses that harm plants & animals(livestock & the all-too
            threatened honeybee...crucial to pollination, in medicines & ointments,
            food source of honey, etc.) i read where some want to create microvores
            to "eat" pollutants. the theoretical by-product would be sugars &
            enzymes.
            i have some specific ideas of how to use in biotechnology &
            biochemistry. it is also being noticed that many nanoparticles once in
            a water system tend to cluster together. this could be exploited once
            enough safety issues have been addressed.
            congrats for completion of your thesis.
            ddd

            --- In nanotech@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Coyle" <el.jeffe@...> wrote:

            > I am a graduate student that just finished his thesis on stable
            > isotopes involving 15N in the microbial biomass in the soil. I am
            > really interested in nanotechnology, but I thought maybe someone would
            > humor me and think of a excellent way to use nanotechnology in
            > ecological research and maybe help brainstorm a few ideas on how
            > stable isotope 15N would be useful. Some ideas I thought of, were
            > using 15N to trace the origin and destination of future molecular
            > technology, kind of like a built in bar code or maybe for sorting
            > purposes.
            >
            > Once again, I know there is alot of people out there that specialized
            > in nano development so, I would be more of a person looking for ideas
            > to make developments useful to my field rather then develop it. I also
            > welcome pure speculation.
            >
            > Thank you

          • varima nagpal
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 28, 2007
              hi! all,

              This is varima. i have finished my phd in microbiology
              and environmenatal nanotechnology. nanotechnology has
              many branches and one such branch is , one such
              thriving branch is , use of nanotechnology for
              environment remediation.

              iron nanoparticles, mono metallic as well as
              bimetallic , titanium dioxide etc , all can be used to
              destroy xenobiotic compounds .

              Varima Nagpal
              C/O Dr. K.M.Paknikar
              Agharkar research intitute
              G.G.Agarkar road
              PUNE-4
              MAHARASHTRA(INDIA)

              Get the freedom to save as many mails as you wish. To know how, go to http://help.yahoo.com/l/in/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html
            • Jeff Coyle
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 28, 2007
                Isotope and element composition of the salts were determined by
                combustion in an elemental analyzer connected to an isotope ratio
                mass spectrometer.
                --- In nanotech@yahoogroups.com, Chuck B <gumboyaya@...> wrote:

                > Jeff,
                >
                > You wrote:
                > >
                > > I am a graduate student that just finished his thesis on stable
                > > isotopes involving 15N in the microbial biomass in the soil....
                >
                > Congratulations on finishing. How did you measure the isotope, ICP-MS?
                >
                > Chuck
                Isotope and element composition of the salts were determined by
                combustion in an elemental analyzer connected to an isotope ratio
                mass spectrometer.

              • Bibin Thomas Anto
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 30, 2007
                  Hi,

                  If anyone of us can forward me the ebook, 'Condensed Matter Physics' by Michel Marder, I will be greatful to you.

                  Thanks
                  Bibin