a question for the group

  • james underwood
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 25, 2007
      Hello peoples,
      This is my attempt to reach out to people about something
      that I have been thinking about all my life well since I became aware
      of computers etc. I have gotten older 47 and realized that this boy
      of mine is falling apart little by little day by day. And I since I
      was able to read have been interested in science fiction movies about
      robots, androids and the like and what seemed science fiction in the
      past is now science present.
      I am going to college to get my degrees in computer science
      and hope to get a teaching job doing just that. But I want to do more
      expand myself further do some real science and real research into the
      possibilities that are out there to make my dreams come true.
      I know this might seem strange but I would like to take my
      mind and place it in an android body. I know this seems farfetched
      but I have faith in the scientific community to be able to one day
      pull this off. I have been pondering what disciplines would have to
      be brought together to make this happen who would I contact to talk
      about such things. This was one of the reasons why I joined these
      groups on artificial life, robotics, physics, and quantum information
      of all varieties to gather the resources and data necessary and maybe
      meet some likeminded people out there who might feel the same as I do.
      I do not want to hear about the religious aspects or
      spiritual aspects of doing it or not doing it something like this, as
      that discussion to me is a waste of time which we do not have or I
      have for that matter. I would like to meet and exchange ideas with
      some of you out there as this question fills a lot of my waking hours
      and my feelings about this. You input would be greatly appreciated
      and welcomed.
      "Doc"
      p.s. i feel you should be in on this also.
    • Bob Cronk
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2007
        According to some people, combining technology and the
        human body will be commonplace in about 30 years. Ray
        Kurzweil's book, The Singularity is Near, is a great
        read if you are intersted in this topic. He talks
        about the convergence of technology and biology and
        how it will extend and enhance our lives.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Dr. David Deal
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2007
          Thanks Bob. This is certainly of interest to me. Many seems to feel
          that human enhancement is dangerous and will cause us to lose our
          humanity & humaneness. Personally I feel the first recipients of
          these enhancements shouldf be those that need them medically. Within
          reasonable ethical considerations others should also be able to
          access these enhancements. It is very well possible that human
          enhancement may become the most important way we are able to ensure
          the survival of huanity and a viable civilization. This may be
          particularly true as we continue to see massive populations
          increases, drought, food shortages, climatic changes, etc. Enhanced
          individuals may also be able to survive better as we expand to
          establish space research centers and possible working colonies on or
          in space stations of the Moon, Mars, Europa and Titan and Planet Next.
          david

          In nanotech@yahoogroups.com, Bob Cronk <cronked@...> wrote:

          > According to some people, combining technology and the
          > human body will be commonplace in about 30 years. Ray
          > Kurzweil's book, The Singularity is Near, is a great
          > read if you are intersted in this topic. He talks
          > about the convergence of technology and biology and
          > how it will extend and enhance our lives.

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Herbert Murray
          Message 4 of 4 , May 16, 2007
            Humans have been trying to improve themselves, and their experience,
            at least since the beginning of recorded history (10,000 years). On
            the average the rate of improvement has been geometric. Nanotech is
            just becoming the latest set tools that are available to humankind.
            Part being human means the constant /drive to develop new and better
            tools.

            Cheers,
            Bert

            --- In nanotech@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. David Deal"