Re: nanotech hub

  • Dr. David Deal
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27, 2007
      Though I am an American it seems that the US & China are both nanohubs
      if one bases the assessment on published research. Yet from a practicle
      viewpont of turning nanoscience into nanotechnolgy it seems the UK is
      already a true nanohub: So much in fact it gives the Amricans nano-envy

      --- In nanotech@yahoogroups.com, "Dibyadeep Paul" <dibyadeep@...> wrote:

      > Guys...
      >
      > With the current rate of growth, does it seem that US is going to
      remain the
      > nanotech hub too? I have been hearing of the Scandinavian Nanotech
      valley
      > becoming a very strong contender in this game...
      >
      > It would be good to know your views...
      >
      > regards
      > dp

    • prasad geetha
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2007
        hi......
        i am prasad from india.i am an engineering student.i need informations on nanotechnology and it recent developments.so,please help me.
        thank you.

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2007
          Prasad,

          Have you looked through the nanotechnology web sites? Here's the urls
          for a few of them:

          www.understandingnano.com
          www.nanowerk.com/phpscripts/n_news.php
          www.smalltimes.com
          http://nanotech.physorg.com/

          Earl

          Quoting prasad geetha <prasad_jk2@...>:

          > hi......
          > i am prasad from india.i am an engineering student.i
          > need informations on nanotechnology and it recent
          > developments.so,please help me.
          >
          > thank you.

        • Dibyadeep Paul
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 10, 2007
            In a recent report from nanotech wire....

            http://nanotechwire.com/news.asp?nid=4417

            *Top Nations in Nanotech See Their Lead Erode - Report*

            As nanotechnology investments and product revenues grow � $12.4 billion was
            invested in nanotech R&D worldwide in 2006, and over $50 billion worth of
            nano-enabled products were sold � cross-border nanotech activity is becoming
            more important. Companies must change their practices to take advantage of
            international funding, innovation, manufacturing, and markets for their
            nano-enabled products, according to a new report from Lux Research entitled
            "Profiting from International Nanotechnology."

            "Companies active in nanotech risk missing out on key opportunities by not
            looking beyond their own borders," said the report's author, Senior Analyst
            Michael Holman, Ph.D. "It's important for them to understand which nations
            are strong in nanotechnology development. Our latest study found that the
            U.S., Japan, Germany, and South Korea remain leaders, but China is moving
            into the top tier on nanotech activity as its nanotechnology spending,
            publications, and even patents grow."

            To construct its assessment, Lux Research collected extensive data on
            nanotechnology funding and other key metrics, such as patents and
            publications, and drew on site visits conducted over the course of the year
            in Taiwan, South Korea, China, Japan, Germany, the U.K., France, and Israel.
            The study found that:

            - Government spending on nanotechnology grew to $6.4 billion in 2006,
            up 10% from $5.9 million in 2005. The U.S. leads on this metric, with
            $1.78 billion from federal and state governments, followed by Japan with
            $975 million and Germany with $563 million. However, at purchasing power
            parity (PPP) � a factor which corrects for the lower costs of goods and
            services in many nations � China reaches second place, with funding
            equivalent to $906 million.
            - Corporations spent $5.3 billion on nanotech R&D in 2006, a 19%
            increase over 2005, with the U.S. leading the way at $1.93 billion,
            followed by Japan with $1.70 billion at PPP. Developing nations are further
            behind on corporate spending, but some saw strong growth � China's estimated
            corporate nanotech funding reached $165 million at PPP, up 68% from its 2005
            total.
            - Among publications on nanoscale science and engineering topics since
            1995, the largest number, over 43,000, come from the U.S. China is in
            second place with more than 25,000 � and added over 6,000 publications in
            2006, more than twice as many as third-place Japan. International patent
            activity also swelled, growing 31% in 2006 to reach 10,105 patents from the
            countries studied. The U.S. holds the lion's share, with 6,801
            patents; Germany is in second place with 773.

            The report analyzes 14 countries' nanotech competitiveness on two axes: 1)
            nanotechnology activity, which evaluates nanotech innovation on an absolute
            scale; and 2) technology development strength, which gauges the relative
            ability of nations to use those innovations to drive economic growth. "It's
            clear that leading nations in nanotech, particularly the U.S. and Japan,
            aren't going to be pushed aside any time soon," Dr. Holman said. "They will
            have more competition at the top, however. It was striking that even within
            the top tier, countries like South Korea grew much closer to the U.S. and
            Japan, and developing nations like China, India, and Russia made strong
            moves forward just in the last year."

            On 2/28/07, Dr. David Deal <sciinfoexchange@...> wrote:

            > Though I am an American it seems that the US & China are both nanohubs
            > if one bases the assessment on published research. Yet from a practicle
            > viewpont of turning nanoscience into nanotechnolgy it seems the UK is
            > already a true nanohub: So much in fact it gives the Amricans nano-envy
            >

            > --- In nanotech@yahoogroups.com <nanotech%40yahoogroups.com>, "Dibyadeep
            > Paul" <dibyadeep@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Guys...
            > >
            > > With the current rate of growth, does it seem that US is going to
            > remain the
            > > nanotech hub too? I have been hearing of the Scandinavian Nanotech
            > valley
            > > becoming a very strong contender in this game...
            > >
            > > It would be good to know your views...
            > >
            > > regards
            > > dp

          • Dr. David Deal
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 11, 2007
              Hi DP,
              Yes I have heard that also about the Scandinavian Nanohub. All in all
              if China can meet its energy demands it seems poised to become a
              leader across the board. If India can overome its infrastructure
              problems it too is set to become a nanohub of activity. Japan, Taiwan
              & South Korea are innovators. I think the point I made poorly about
              the UK is they are academic leaders par excellence.(so are the
              Japanese & of course the Americans could make an example of our
              educational system as such on the University-level. It is difficult
              to outperform the Japanese from a teamwork point of view. The US
              advantage(if we have one) is we thrive on individualism which seems
              to serve as an impetus to insight & innovation.
              I would submit the field of techno-science may be the most inherently
              diplomatic & cooperative field of work there is. Along that same line
              of thinking nanoscience & nanotechnology may be the epitome of
              interdisciplinary activity, knowledge & expertise...imho :)
              david

              "Science makes sense and engineering makes cents." some famous guy :)