ORGANISATION OF A TECHNOLOGICAL QUAROQIUM DUE AUGUST 16th -18th 2007

  • Appeal Uganda
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 20, 2006
      Dear Freinds in this yahoo group,

      Greetings from the Transhumanist Association of Uganda. We would like
      to inform you about the Trans-regional conference 2007,an event that
      will attract several scholars from around Africa and other parts of
      the globe.Below is the detailed information about the Event.

      Transhumanist Association of Uganda (TAU) is organizing the first
      African Technological quaroqium to take place in Uganda in August
      2007. Its called a Trans-regional 2007 and it will see most of the
      technological experts from universities across Africa and the globe
      taking part in it.

      This quaroqium, the first of its kind will bring together some of the
      brightest minds of our time to see how science and technology are
      shaping our future and how we, as Africans are responding to it. Is
      Africa ready for the post-humans? Lets discuss it. The theme of the
      Conference is "African Response on Emerging Technologies".

      The Transhumanist Association of Uganda is a Regional non-profit
      making organization that advocates for the ethical use of technology
      to expand human capacities. We support the development of and access
      to new technologies that will enable everyone to enjoy better minds,
      better bodies and better lives. In other words, we want people to be
      better than well. TAU is an affiliation of other Transhumanist
      associations that operates around the Globe and it's a member of World
      Transhumanist association.

      The TAU's mission is to be a voice for responsible, constructive
      approaches to emerging technologies. We believe that technological
      progress can be a catalyst for positive human development as long as
      we ensure that technologies are safe and equitably distributed. Our
      aim is to showcase how technological progress can and lead to
      increased freedom, happiness, and human flourishing in democratic
      societies.

      Focusing on the potential emerging technologies has to positively
      transform social conditions and the quality of human life. TAU seeks
      to cultivate academic, professional, and popular appreciation about
      the impacts of emerging technologies and to encourage public policies
      that promote their safe and equitable uses.

      The African continent is the birthplace of all humanity. The
      archaeology of the Dr. Leakey in East Africa had little to do with the
      political climate that brought forth two great World Wars in the
      twentieth century. Yet their pioneering work upended the racist
      presumptions underlining the causes of those wars. Africa is home to
      modern humankind and our forebears. Homo habilis, the toolmaker begat
      Homo sapiens, the wise one on African soil.

      As small bands of people left Africa to populate the world, the gene
      pool available became restricted. Evidence of this genetic
      bottleneck, which can be dated with some precision, is central to our
      understanding of the history of human migrations. A corollary to this
      is that Africans did not face this genetic bottleneck and so the
      genome of African people is the most diverse of all human populations.

      Africa has been beset by calamities of sorts in the post-colonial
      period. The breadth and depth of the human suffering is
      unprecedented. The causes are multiple and no doubt interrelated. No
      sentient modern human being wherever they reside can e completely
      inured to the consequences of this catastrophe. The future of all
      modern people depends on responding to the crisis being played out all
      over Africa.

      In the next fifty years, artificial intelligence, nano-technology,
      genetic engineering and cognitive science will allow human beings to
      transcend current limitations of the human body. Life spans may
      extend well beyond a century. Our senses and cognition will be
      enhanced. We will have greater control over our emotions and memory.
      Our bodies and brains will be surrounded by and merged with computer
      power. We will use these technologies to redesign ourselves and our
      children in ways that push the boundaries of humanness.

      The prospect of rapid change in the human condition understandably
      worries many people. Now a loose coalition of groups has emerged to
      forbid human enhancement technologies, such as genetic therapies,
      psycho-pharmaceuticals, prosthetic organs and nano-medical robotics.
      This coalition is diverse, including some bioethics, religious
      conservatives, disability rights and environmental activities, and
      leftist critics of biotechnology. In the opposite corner are
      anti-regulatory ideologues that dismiss any potential risks from the
      unsafe or inequitably distributed technologies.

      The tenor of the debates has often been extreme, polarized between
      technophobes and anti-regulatory technophiles. In response an
      emerging global network of thinkers, such as, Nick Bostrom, Glenn
      McGee, Julian Savulescu, Ronald Dworkin, Wrye Sententia, Gregory
      Stock, Grey Pence, John Harris, Peter Singer, Norm Daniels and others
      have begun to defend human enhancement technologies, while taking
      seriously the need to regulate their safety and social consequences.

      The debate over human enhancement technologies had not reached the
      attention of the Ugandan public until last year when a critique of
      human enhancement technologies lead to lobbying by groups on the left,
      right and centre in Kenya to promote laws and international treaties
      to restrict technologies involving the human genome. As seen through
      the lens of anti-colonialism moral certainty on this issue is easily
      obtained. But these issues are not so easily constrained. Africans
      need greater access to technologies. AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria, and
      the various human scourges tear at the fabric of our societies.
      Africa needs a green revolution to feed our people. The good future
      of Africans depends on emerging technologies as much as the good
      future of all humankind does.

      Humanity is at the verge of an incredible future. Technologies that
      seem like science fiction are already becoming science facts as
      researchers develop innovations that will transform the very essence
      of what it is to be human. Nanotechnology, genetics and cybernetics
      will mean that we will become faster, stronger and more beautiful; we
      will live longer and banish disease; we will be more intelligent and
      quicker-witted with photographic memories and the ability to go days
      without sleep.

      Scientists are doubling the power of computers every year for the same
      cost. In 25 years, they'll be a billion times more powerful than they
      are today. At the same time we're shrinking the size of all
      technology, electronic and mechanical, by a factor of a hundred per
      decade, that's a hundred thousand in 25 years.

      The growth of computing power, miniaturization and increased technical
      prowess will turn the world into an incredible place, free from the
      conflicts over resources and wealth that have plagued it and in the
      last century and almost led to our obliteration in the fires of global
      thermonuclear war.

      That is, if you believe one particular school of though. Other,
      equally eminent, minds believe we are on the cusp of an incredible
      disaster --possibly even our own extinction—as the technology we are
      so rapidly giving birth to moves beyond us, and self-replicates,
      casting us aside or even exterminating us.

      The TAU and the World Transhumanist Association believe this debate
      desperately needs voices that avoid extremes. We care deeply that
      voices that argue for the potential benefits of new technologies while
      proposing realistic policies to mitigate their risks are heard.
      Technologies will continue to shape us and even have the potential to
      destroy us. We are Homo sapiens, our future depends on developing our
      wisdom. Africa is the mother of all humanity, so we Africans are
      central, not tangential to this important discussion and developments.

      Perhaps technology influences society but doesn't always determine its
      direction. Culture, religion, trends and political movements all
      affect the way humanity interacts with science. Perhaps as a species
      we will sometimes take the knocks, and sometimes ride the waves of
      what the future has in store for us; suffering and benefiting in
      something approaching equal measure. But overall we will survive.
      These three scenarios – which author Joel Garreau named Heaven, Hell
      and Prevail in his book, Radical Evolution – dominate debate about our
      future.

      Over this technological quaroqium, Transhumanists and the public will
      hear the arguments from all sides, speak to the key thinkers involved,
      and ultimately invite the greater Africa to draw our own conclusions
      about what lies a head for us all.

      TAU seek to engage policy makers from around Africa: diplomats,
      scholars and students from the great universities of Africa with
      intelligent voices from countries beyond Africa in an
      interdisciplinary approach to understanding and evaluating the
      possibilities for overcoming biological limitations through
      technological progress.

      Events contribute enormously to our economy, and they add greatly to
      the social and cultural fabric that is uniquely African. The
      Transhumanist association would like to seek your support in any way
      possible way, to make this summit a success.Events engage people from
      all walks of life, encouraging them to support and actively take part
      in them. Most importantly, they help deliver the strong communities
      essential for cohesive, programmes in Africa.

      This investment will lead economic growth and job creation for decades
      to come. In addition to our traditional and regional significant
      industries of resources and tourism, we are expanding our economy
      through value adding and the promotion of new manufacturing,
      particularly in the "smart" industries of information technology and
      biotechnology, including genetics. We're emerging as a smart place in
      which to do business, as well as a beautiful one, which is
      demonstrated by our natural wonders such as the game sparks, mountains
      and many more.

      We therefore hereby request for the following;

      (a) Audience from you all so that the members have the chance to
      explain to the world the intentions and major aims or goals of the
      transhumanists around the globe.

      (b)To consider the associations financial or other possible request
      to host the 2007 Technological quaroquim or Transvision 2007.

      To kindly consider the benefit of the stated technological studies and
      discussions to the participants and the Africa as a whole. Not
      further leaving out the social-economic benefits

      We hope this will be an exciting technological quaroqium; the
      organising committee takes great pleasure in inviting you all to
      participate.

      We look forward to seeing you in August 2007.We hope to hear from you
      postively!For further information about this event,Kindly do not
      hestate to contact us on our phonelines 24hrs

      Transhumanist Association of Uganda
      P.O.Box 72244 clocktower station,
      Tel: +256 752 53 2706 and +256 712 532706
      Kampala Uganda
      Eastafrica

      Transhumanically yours,

      Dr.Kirumira Mpagi Micheal
      Executive Director and Event Chairperson
      Transhumanist Association of Uganda
    • biodun olusesi
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 25, 2006
        Nice aim, Dr Kimura. I am strongly in support of your conference. That is, as long as the 'extreme views' of the emerging technologies are not seen as 'right' or 'wrong'. We do need a balance of the extreme views for diffusion of technology into Africa to become a reality. What we do not need is to have the technophobes dominating the polity, to the detriment of funding and other infrastructural provision that the emerging technologies require. For the technophiles need to constantly be kept on their toes to fine tune the technology till it is relatively safer - that is till the fears of the technophobes are allayed.

        Biodun
        http://www.nanootology.org

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 28, 2006
          Hello Biodun,.

          It was a pleasure to read a mail from you for your support. Its our desire that we make this event successful and we invite many speakers.We would like to talk more with you.You can get in our private email on directorforug@...
          we will be happy to talk with you over the phone too.
          Dr.Kirumira Mpagi Micheal
          TAU-UGANDA
          Executive Director

          biodun olusesi <otonetafrica2000@...> wrote:
[...]

          http://www.nanoindustries.com
          Nanotechnology: solutions for the future.
          Yahoo! Groups Links