Re: [nanotech] Searching for B-plan options.

  • pathik jain
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 2006
      hello
      i am

      pathik jain
      3rd year
      I am doing B.Tech now in electronics and communication
      U can search Nanotech community in Orkut
      bye
      keep me informed

      Swastik Nigam <swastik.nigam@...> wrote: Hello everyone,

      I am an MBA student of the Indian Institute of Management, India. I am
      searching for possible and feasible options of creating b-plans within the
      area of nanotechnology. I have a chemical engineering background, but would
      be open to any ideas related to nanobiotechnology, nanochemistry,
      nanocatalysts, nanometallics, nanomagnetics, nanoelectronics etc.

      Do reply in if you have any answers, which according to you is the best,
      latest field of nanotechnology to invest in? Where am I liley to lovate the
      resources? which organisations are the leaders in this field currently?

      Thank you all very much.
      Warm regards,
      Swastik Nigam.

    • vijaypandeyait
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2006
        Swastik

        An start up company in nanotech could be a very costly as currently it
        has low market and requires great research.

        I am myself in search of a buisness oppertunity.
      • maheshkumar04ec43
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 6, 2006
          hi,
          i am Engineering student, i am going to do a paper presentation in
          nano tech, so please give me some idea on that field.
        • Wayne Richardson
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 7, 2006
            Updated: 6:40 p.m. ET Aug 28, 2006
            Scientists have yoked bacteria to power rotary motors, the first microscopic

            mechanical devices to successfully incorporate living microbes together with

            inorganic parts.
            "In far future plans, we would like to make micro-robots driven by
            biological
            motors," researcher Yuichi Hiratsuka, a nanobiotechnologist now at the
            University of Tokyo, told LiveScience.
            While at Japan's National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and
            Technology near Tokyo, Hiratsuka and his colleagues experimented with one of
            the
            most rapid crawling bacteria, Mycoplasma mobile.
            Story continues below ��"

            This pear-shaped microbe, a millionth of a meter long, can glide over
            surfaces
            at up to seven-tenths of an inch an hour. Translated to a 6-foot-tall
            (180-centimeter-tall) runner, this roughly equates to 20 mph (32 kilometers
            per
            hour).
            The researchers built circular pathways coated with sugary proteins, which
            the
            microbe needs to stick to in order to glide over surfaces. They then docked
            rotor onto the track and coated the bacteria with vitamin B7, which acted
            like
            glue to yoke the germs to the cog. They also genetically modified the
            microbes
            so they stuck to their tracks more stably.
            The scientists created roughly 20,000 rotors on a silicon chip. Each cog is
            etched from silica, which sand is made of, and is 20 microns wide, or
            roughly a
            fifth the diameter of a human hair.
            The rotors spun at roughly 1.5 to 2.6 revolutions per minute. Each
            individual
            cell in these motors generates roughly 10,000 times less torque than
            conventional microscopic electronic motors can.
            LiveScience video
            Watch the bacteria-powered rotor spin

            However, Hiratsuka noted they could improve the torque their systems
            generate by
            increasing the number of bacteria circling the tracks, which can hold up to
            100
            microbes. Moreover, he added that their systems could repair themselves,
            require
            only the sugar glucose as fuel, do not need wires and can work in wet
            environments, unlike the electronic motors.
            In the future, instead of live bacteria, the researchers suggest using dead
            ones
            to avoid the potential biohazards living microbes pose. These dead "ghosts,"
            as
            the scientists dub them, can still glide if their motors are given the right

            organic compounds.
            In addition to helping drive micro-robots, Hiratsuka suggested that
            bacteria-powered motors could help propel micropumps in lab-on-a-chip
            devices.
            "Alternatively, we may be able to construct electronic generator systems,
            which
            generate electric energy from an abundant chemical source ��" glucose in the

            body," he said.
            Hiratsuka and his colleagues reported their findings online Monday via the
            Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
            �(c) 2006 LiveScience.com. All rights reserved.

            On 9/6/06, maheshkumar04ec43 <maheshkumar04ec43@...> wrote:

            > hi,
            > i am Engineering student, i am going to do a paper presentation in
            > nano tech, so please give me some idea on that field.
          • erich_knight
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 7, 2006
              --- In nanotech@yahoogroups.com, "maheshkumar04ec43"
              <maheshkumar04ec43@...> wrote:

              > hi,
              > i am Engineering student, i am going to do a paper presentation
              in
              > nano tech, so please give me some idea on that field.

              I feel both these technologies need a broader presentation:

              In Bio-Fuels: http://www.nanologix.net/

              In Thermal Insulation:
              The Knudsen effect ....that was new to me....
              http://www.nanopore.com/thermal.html
              and makes sense , claims a r-value of R-40:

              And: http://www.industrial-nanotech.com/howitworks.htm

              Erich J. Knight