Nanotech Risk Assessment Called For

  • Dr. David Deal
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2006
      In the July 19, 2006 edition of Chemsitry aWorld Kathrarine Sanderson
      reports that Andrew maynard the chief scientific officer of the Project
      on Emerging Nanotechnologies has called for a 2 year study costing $100
      million to assess the risk & saftey of nanotechologies. In a report
      titled Nanotechnologies: A research Strategy for Addressing Risk he
      says, "There is not a clear research strategy in any region of the
      world." The Chief Technology officer of Intel and others agree with
      Maynard's report.

      My opinion: This will slow down research in the field to some degree
      but not as much as an unforeseen result particularly in biomedical
      applications. Then the technology could grind to a halt with investors
      fears and government sanctions. Of course I am sure he went into this
      with that opinion from what I read sometime ago before he began this
      latest endeavor. Regardless it is probably a good idea.
      I disagree with one point: The UK has been conducting its own safety &
      risk assessment since 2004. To what degree I do not know.
      Plus the US Congressional Committees on Science & Technology have made
      nanotech alarge part of their agenda. And I do mean a large part. I
      feel certain some safety considerations have been made but again to
      what extent I do not know. I am going to write the committee chairs and
      subcommittee chairs snailmail and see if I can find out.
      David