Re: college info

  • xenuxenu13
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 27, 2006
      --- In nanotech@yahoogroups.com, "Ashley Charnitski" <alpinestein@...>
      wrote:

      > All, I am a high school junior interested in Nanotechnology. I was
      > wondering what colleges you are attending, or received your education
      > from, and what you majored in to get into the Nano field. I was not
      > sure what would be the best engineering major to take.

      I went to lots of colleges and universities.
      I was really lucky to get an internship at the
      US Naval Research Laboratory. It was a secure
      area, meaning that I had to have a security clearance
      and an ID card, and the office was a vaulted area,
      meaning that there was a 5-digit number lock on the door.
      My co-worker was a published guy in the Encyclopedia
      of Computer Science, and we studied robotics and stuff.
      There were many amazing guest lecturers, and I had total
      freedom to do my world models. Once a week, I was asked
      to report to the director, and sometimes he asked for me
      to think about some other projects.

      I would recommend the US Naval Research Lab,
      they give you resources and the freedom to pursue
      a dream. And the people are nice, too!

      I was in the Computer Section, Communications Division,
      but our research was all over the place!

      Plus, too, they will pay for your school, maybe...
      http://www.nrl.navy.mil/

      Best of luck with your studies and your career!
      Bruce
    • Ã× ÄÉ
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 27, 2006
        I think Materials Science and Engineering is a nice choice, if you want to study Nano-related things. Material is the basic of research works.
        Best wishes!

        Ashley Charnitski <alpinestein@...> 写道:
        All, I am a high school junior interested in Nanotechnology. I was
        wondering what colleges you are attending, or received your education
        from, and what you majored in to get into the Nano field. I was not
        sure what would be the best engineering major to take.

        http://www.nanoindustries.com
        Nanotechnology: solutions for the future.

        Science toy for child Nanotechnology Science kits Science education Food science Science toy

      • Muhammad Ali Abbas
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 27, 2006
          You asked about my education. Well i have already done
          my graudation in Mechanical discipline. Later on i
          came to know about the nano technology which I really
          want to know about. If you can be of any assitance.
          Your intership sounds great to me. Well best of luck
          and success

          Ali

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Yang-Wei Liu
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 28, 2006
            Hi,
            Chemistry or Biomedical Engineering may be a nice choice too. I am majoring biomedical engineering, and the main topic of my experimental work is on the fabrication of nanomaterials and its applications. So there are plenty work to do in this field if you want to further your study in nano-related sciences.

            Ashley Charnitski <alpinestein@...> дµÀ£º
            All, I am a high school junior interested in Nanotechnology. I was
            wondering what colleges you are attending, or received your education
            from, and what you majored in to get into the Nano field. I was not
            sure what would be the best engineering major to take.

            http://www.nanoindustries.com
            Nanotechnology: solutions for the future.

            Science toy for child Nanotechnology Science kits Science education Food science Science toy

            http://www.nanoindustries.com
            Nanotechnology: solutions for the future.

            Science toy for child Nanotechnology Science kits Science education Food science Science toy

            Yang-Wei Liu
            State Key Laboratory of Bioelectronics
            Department of Biomedical Engineering
            Southeast University, Nanjing 210096, China
            MSN space http://spaces.msn.com/yangweiliu
            YAHOO group Clean Energy Research
            Nanomaterials Research
          • senthil kumar

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 28, 2006
                Hi,
                Glad to hear that you interested with nanotechnology. It's not a scary area, but a wonderful and challenging area.

                IN my opinion, you could take Physics as major since it would become a strong foundation in doing research in nanotechnology. You may take specialization in nanophysics, material physics, condensed matter or even biophysics. All of them are correlated with nanotechnology. Since I graduated from Physics and now doing research in carbon nanotube as well as nanoparticle, I found that Physics become the strongest foundation that I have.

                You still have time to decide. Think it carefully.

                I hope you will success in nanotechnology research later on.

                Sincerely yours,

                Satria Zulkarnaen Bisri
                Research Assistant
                Laboratory for Electronic Material Physics
                Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Science
                Institut Teknologi Bandung
                INDONESIA

                Ashley Charnitski <alpinestein@...> wrote: All, I am a high school junior interested in Nanotechnology. I was
                wondering what colleges you are attending, or received your education
                from, and what you majored in to get into the Nano field. I was not
                sure what would be the best engineering major to take.
              • Saumitra
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 28, 2006
                  hi ppl ,
                  There seem to be renewed activity in this group. I was wondering about anyone working in electronics aspect of CNT..i would like to get in touch wid him/her..

                  thanks!!
                  Saumitra

                  Yang-Wei Liu <yangweiliu@...> wrote: Hi,

                  Ã× ÄÉ <nano_sjtu@...> wrote:
                  I think Materials Science and Engineering is a nice choice, if you want to study Nano-related things. Material is the basic of research works.
                  Best wishes!

                  Ashley Charnitski <alpinestein@...> дµÀ£º
                  All, I am a high school junior interested in Nanotechnology. I was
                  wondering what colleges you are attending, or received your education
                  from, and what you majored in to get into the Nano field. I was not
                  sure what would be the best engineering major to take.

                  Yang-Wei Liu
                  State Key Laboratory of Bioelectronics
                  Department of Biomedical Engineering
                  Southeast University, Nanjing 210096, China
                  MSN space http://spaces.msn.com/yangweiliu
                  YAHOO group Clean Energy Research
                  Nanomaterials Research

                  Saumitra Raj Mehrotra